Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Build questions!

So I received my Coupe on the 21st of September and have been working on removing the body, aluminum, and so on. The other day I finally got to start assembly! The LCAs went mostly fine, the UCAs required me to wire-wheel the finish off the ball joints, but after that they went okay...Now I'm to the coil-overs. One went together pretty easily, but the other...The coil-over sleeve is binding on the shock body itself, even before it gets to the label. It's so bad that I can't drive it on very far and it's scraping finish off the shock body. I tried swapping sleeves and the problem moves with the sleeve. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a good fix? Freeze the shock, heat the sleeve? I'm betting even then it'll hang up on the label. Thanks in advance.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jtolbert View Post
    So I received my Coupe on the 21st of September and have been working on removing the body, aluminum, and so on. The other day I finally got to start assembly! The LCAs went mostly fine, the UCAs required me to wire-wheel the finish off the ball joints, but after that they went okay...Now I'm to the coil-overs. One went together pretty easily, but the other...The coil-over sleeve is binding on the shock body itself, even before it gets to the label. It's so bad that I can't drive it on very far and it's scraping finish off the shock body. I tried swapping sleeves and the problem moves with the sleeve. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a good fix? Freeze the shock, heat the sleeve? I'm betting even then it'll hang up on the label. Thanks in advance.
    Just use a hair dryer or heat gun on the sleeve for a little while. It will slip right on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okie, I'll give that a shot. Thanks. Can I freeze the shock too? I don't think it should hurt anything, considering the winters shocks put up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if I can just put the sleeve in my toaster oven, get it up to 300 or so and see if it'll fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next question...Front LCA shock/coil-over mount: spacers are too wide. Just sand them a bit? Ironically, there's about a sixteenth of an inch gap at the top mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jtolbert View Post
    Next question...Front LCA shock/coil-over mount: spacers are too wide. Just sand them a bit? Ironically, there's about a sixteenth of an inch gap at the top mount.
    Not unusual to have to adjust the spacers a bit. But before you do, make sure the tabs are straight. The are welded in a jig, but sometimes are bent just a bit I assume from heat. A large adjustable wrench flat on the tab to prevent marking up the powder coat, and they will bend with just a little push. If still too tight once straight, then yes, shrink the spacers as needed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okie, thanks. It's the LCA end that's tight, so I'm guessing sanding spacers down is in order. I'll see if they are straight first, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the headers FFR sends with the Coupe for the 302 work with GT40P heads? I've searched a bit and can't find a good answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ll=1#post57167

Never mind; finally found a solid answer. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so I'm on to the rear axle. I've got the three-link rear setup with the 17x9 Hallibrand-type wheels that FFR sells...What width of axle will work nicely for these wheels? Do I want to stick with the stock fox-body width, or maybe try the early SN95 1.5"-wider setup? I really don't want to have to adjust this later.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 87-93 rear axles work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I took delivery. Very excited!!! How do you a) start a build thread and b) How do you upload pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    TimB, that looks super sharp. Any issues with the wider rear track? Would you do it again that way? Thanks!

eamici: it's an exciting time! just click '+Post New Thread on the main forum page for start a thread. For making images viewable, you'll want to take a look at the BB Code and IMG links on the right side of the 'Posting Permissions' box below. You can also try using the 'Insert Image' option (third from right) to post directly. I prefer the link method using the IMG tags. You'll need to find somewhere to host your images---PhotoBucket is not a good idea right now---but once you do you can share them in forum posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't noticed any issues with the wider track though I suppose if you were using a wider rim it could cause interference. The coupe is a little wider than thecroadster and seems to be able to handle the extra width. I would do the same especially since I pulled my whole driveline from a donor car.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is from a 95 and it looks great. Fills the wheel wells better I think.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John Dol: thanks! That pretty much sells it, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm powder coating my brake calipers. I've got the 13" Cobra setup waiting in the wings, but I figured I'd start with the stock ones sent with my Type 65. I get that I have to mask off the piston bores, pin bosses, anything threaded (bleeder screw, banjo bolt, mounting bolts)...But do I need to not coat the machined areas around the mounting bolt holes in the caliper, and do I need to not coat the pad/clip contact area on the mounting brackets? Since there's clips in there, I'm thinking I should be able to coat that area without too much trouble...But it would be nice to know. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you get me the dimensions of the front width wheel to wheel center of the wheel to center of the wheel and the rear two wheels please. I do not see anything on this except 95 inch wheel base.

Andy