FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Type 65 Performance

Post Thanks / Like

Type 65 Performance

I apologize for what follows because it's doubtless been discussed in the past. However, I'm a newby to the FF Forum with no history with the FF Type 65. I'm on the cusp of owning a well-built, well-appointed Type 65 that's 4-years old with a '92 Mustang 5.0L EFI 302 engine that hasn't had performance mods performed, other than T5 transmission; Gordon Levy Mid-shift kit; MSD ignition, distributor, coil; and ISIS Power Intelliegent Multiplex System with Mastercell, wiring, and Powercells; and 3-link rear end.

My general question is based on the FF Type 65 brochure where a Car and Driver quote of Larry Webster reads "…Galloping to 60 mph takes only 3.6 seconds. Bye-bye Porsche 911! The Quarter mile passes in only 11.9 seconds at 119 mph…" Is this possible without doing everything Foxbody Five.Oh or others with much money can do to get the Ford 302/5.0L to 400+ rwhp?

This quote is on the first page where the kits are briefly described and priced, and where potential buyers may get the wrong expectation, true?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say to take the car out and drive it like you stole it to see what you have. Then determine what parts you will need (if you still want to) to reach the 400hp mark. Have fun!
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not true, it's dependent on the actual type of engine used for the comparison. The engine used in the Coupe was not a run of the mill 302,
    such as yours, but a 351 with some nice options. Every build is up to the owner and their pocket book.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug…This is a long distance buy, so no test drive is possible. Not interested in 400+ rwhp, but still interested in knowing how the car was equipped that was quoted by C&D. Thx…

Post Thanks / Like
    Hank…I completely agree. My issue was the posting of this C&D quote in the FF brochure right under the intro of kit prices without further explanation. Thx…