Bob,

I'm a strong proponent of making it through the track day despite issues. Here's what I brought to my last one, just a brief list from memory:

Parts
Wheel spacers in case I rubbed
Extra fluids (gear oil, crankcase oil, coolant, brake fluid)
Extra fittings/hose clamps (for fuel, coolant, etc.)
Spark plugs/coil packs/spark wires (I brought my old ones...better than nothing in case there's an issue)
Extra shifter cable (since mine broke that time.....I'm sure your MR2 one is fine)

Tools
lots of zip ties/duct tape/rivets/riv nuts
Almost all of my hand tools (drill/impact, rivet/rivnut guns, wrenches, screw drivers, saws, etc.)
Jack
Jack stands
Extra battery pack (one of those little jumper kits that does tire inflation and battery....just in case the truck or car needs it)
Lots of nuts/bolts/screws
Some small pieces of sheet aluminum and sheet steel...never know when you'll have to custom fab something on the spot!
Voltmeter
Butt splice connectors/

Supplies
Gas
Food
LOTS of water
2x4's (never know what you might need some wood for)
Tent/chair
Extra clothes/shoes
Helmet
HANS

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

As for a pre-flight check....
I start the car, look for leaks at any major points (fuel at every connection, coolant at visible connections, bottom of motor and trans), check with a crescent wrench that all suspension bolts are at least "tight" (I torque to spec in the days before the event), check all fluid levels (it goes through SO MUCH gas! Be observant about that!), make sure the hoses for boost are tight and all connected, then rev it up a bit once we're up to temp. Make sure there's no hesitation, bad noises, etc. Then my few lap or so I take it slow and a less-aggressive line and make sure everything is holding together nicely.

What track are you going to? Best of luck. The first track day was nerve racking but so worth it. You're going to have a blast.