Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Track Day parts and tools list.

Post Thanks / Like

818 Track Day parts and tools list.

To the track day / racers.
    I'm about to do my first track day. Has anybody put together a list of 818 parts and tools that I should take with me.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

I'm a strong proponent of making it through the track day despite issues. Here's what I brought to my last one, just a brief list from memory:

Parts
    Wheel spacers in case I rubbed
    Extra fluids (gear oil, crankcase oil, coolant, brake fluid)
    Extra fittings/hose clamps (for fuel, coolant, etc.)
    Spark plugs/coil packs/spark wires (I brought my old ones...better than nothing in case there's an issue)
    Extra shifter cable (since mine broke that time.....I'm sure your MR2 one is fine)

Tools
    lots of zip ties/duct tape/rivets/riv nuts
    Almost all of my hand tools (drill/impact, rivet/rivnut guns, wrenches, screw drivers, saws, etc.)
    Jack
    Jack stands
    Extra battery pack (one of those little jumper kits that does tire inflation and battery....just in case the truck or car needs it)
    Lots of nuts/bolts/screws
    Some small pieces of sheet aluminum and sheet steel...never know when you'll have to custom fab something on the spot!
    Voltmeter
    Butt splice connectors/

Supplies
    Gas
    Food
    LOTS of water
    2x4's (never know what you might need some wood for)
    Tent/chair
    Extra clothes/shoes
    Helmet
    HANS

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

As for a pre-flight check....
    I start the car, look for leaks at any major points (fuel at every connection, coolant at visible connections, bottom of motor and trans), check with a crescent wrench that all suspension bolts are at least "tight" (I torque to spec in the days before the event), check all fluid levels (it goes through SO MUCH gas! Be observant about that!), make sure the hoses for boost are tight and all connected, then rev it up a bit once we're up to temp. Make sure there's no hesitation, bad noises, etc. Then my few lap or so I take it slow and a less-aggressive line and make sure everything is holding together nicely.

What track are you going to? Best of luck. The first track day was nerve racking but so worth it. You're going to have a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's obvious, but I'll throw this one out there for you: any documentation you received from the organizer!

Pearldrummer's list is pretty complete; I'd suggest paper-towels/rags and Windex. Your windscreen will get filthy.

Are you trailering the 818 (affects pack list maybe)?

My personal rule is to have all checks & changes to the car complete more than 1 day before the event. The day before the event no wrenching on the car!! (I have a funny story about that one). Also, make sure you get a good night's sleep and have eaten well before the event; it will be taxing.

Have a great time & keep us updated!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of small items to add, Drain Pan, shop towels, couple can's Brake Clean, flash light, brake bleeder bottle and hose.
    Track note pad to note chassis and car changes.

Have a blast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    It's obvious, but I'll throw this one out there for you: any documentation you received from the organizer!

Pearldrummer's list is pretty complete; I'd suggest paper-towels/rags and Windex. Your windscreen will get filthy.

Are you trailering the 818 (affects pack list maybe)?

My personal rule is to have all checks & changes to the car complete more than 1 day before the event. The day before the event no wrenching on the car!! (I have a funny story about that one). Also, make sure you get a good night's sleep and have eaten well before the event; it will be taxing.

Have a great time & keep us updated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    A couple of small items to add, Drain Pan, shop towels, couple can's Brake Clean, flash light, brake bleeder bottle and hose.
    Track note pad to note chassis and car changes.

Have a blast
    I agree with adding these to the list. Shop towels are huge! Can't believe I forgot. Also, you're going to be absolutely beat by the end of the day. The car is a lot to handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going off FFR and my own experiences:

Engine
    Transmission
    Axles

Kidding. Have fun. Be safe. Snap oversteer is a cruel mistress.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Tire Pressure Gauge
    Tire/Brake Pyrometer - Invaluable in determining proper camber/caster and tire pressure. I swear by this tool.

Notepad and pens for writing down info from the Tire Pressure Gauge and Tire Pyrometers. Also for recording car handling impressions. And long term "to do" fixes when you get home.

Fuel. Buying it at the track is usually expensive.

Zipties. Both plastic and metal. Various lengths and widths of the plastic ones.

Gaffer Tape. It's not quite "racer" tape and it's not duct tape. It's amazing low residue, restickable, cloth based tape.
    Metal Tape.

Extra fluids of everything.

Shop towels.
    Shop rags.

Helmet. Shoes.

Sunscreen. Hat. Gatorade. Water. Inflammation reducer pills taken before or at the drivers meeting (I like Naproxen Sodium),
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Everyone.
    I will consolidate everyone suggestion into one list.
    The event is a Putman park near Mechie3 house. http://putnampark.com/
    It is this weekend, but they have to find another instructor before I can get in.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I use the below linked spreadsheet. I print the Load List and leave it taped to my garage wall and it's the last thing I go over before I drive out of the driveway. I also tape the Sessions list up in my trailer and go over it before every track session. I've made some custom changes to both the load list and my sessions list. Particularly Important under safety that I make sure these four things get done before every session. When my wife comes to the track she walks around the car after I'm strapped in and checks 1-3 before I back out of the paddock space.:
    1) Check hood pins.
    2) Check rear hatch/trunk is locked down.
    3) Check Front splitter braces are connected and tight.

And of course, Check Wheels are Torqued.

All three of 1-3 have happened to me at a race, 1 & 3 ended badly!

Here's the spreadsheet link: http://www.carlosparacio.com/use-thi...hit-the-track/
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Your running with Bill Neal-10/10ths, he runs a good program. If I was in town this weekend I would shoot up and meet you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Your running with Bill Neal-10/10ths, he runs a good program. If I was in town this weekend I would shoot up and meet you guys.
    Hi Mitch,
    I just met Bill. His office is only a couple of miles from my house.
    Looks like I'm not going, he was going to call me if he could find another instructor to ride with Michael an me.

As soon as I get my VIN plate (stuck in snail mail) I will find an excuse to cruise down to NCM.
    Do you have any track days coming up that might work for us?
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-23-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Creeper, blanket, cardboard, etc to lay on if you have to crawl under the car when the asphalt is 100+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some wire, terminals, stripper/crimper and a test lamp.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob we are winding down for the season, Tennessee region is hosting a Autocross on our East Track Saturday and Sunday. We will be scheduling some Trackcross events through out the winter. Keep an eye on our website www.motorsportspark.org

Post Thanks / Like
    I never really needed to bring anything....... Cant break much in 20min
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I never really needed to bring anything....... Cant break much in 20min
    You need a backup car.
    I don't bring much to my local autocross. sun screen, rain gear, small tools box, torque wrench and extra lug nuts.

In the last year:
    300+ autocross runs (20 events)
    4 rubbing tires (skipped rest of event)
    1 transmission shifter boot (happened near end of event)
    1 half shaft (happened near end of event)
    3 loose radiator hose clamps (fixed at event)
    2 sets of tires (consumables)
    2 sets of springs ( fixed rubbing tires)
    50+ gallons of gas (93)
    50 ibuprofen (try riding a old wooden roller coaster 30 times in on day)
    150 times got my a** kicked by my son.
    300 big smiles.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-23-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear you won't be going. I instruct with NASA-Midwest (HPDE-1 Group Leader) and we have run Putnam Park in the past - really fun track, lots of little subtleties. We started doing NCM this year and it's a riot - think "super-sized autocross" (very busy). Hopefully you make it out soon...if not, there's always April!

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    a 10x10 popup canopy is also a great thing to have.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    a 10x10 popup canopy is also a great thing to have.
    That's what I meant by "tent". I spent $70 on a Lowes one and a little less on a Harbor Freight one. The HF one got two days out of it and has since been retired. Definitely worth spending a little on something like that if you don't have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the tent - many tracks are woefully barren of shade (much less air conditioning) and the sun can be a beast even on cold days. I had a folding chair with a little canopy cover before I had room for a full size tent.

I have to say, for your first event unless you're hell-bent on overcoming any obstacle that comes your way, just chill (this is supposed to be a fun hobby, not "Work-pt2"). Show up with the basics for your car and yourself. I've acquired most of the stuff folks have talked about here, but (a) it was a gradual process over the years and (b) I have an enclosed trailer to keep it all. Track culture is very friendly and helpful, so if something comes up that you didn't anticipate, there's a good chance someone will be able to jump in and help out with labor, loaned tools, and even parts.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage