Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First 818 COUPE build

Post Thanks / Like

First 818 COUPE build

Lady and Gentlemen,
    The forum has been a little slow for a couple of days. Maybe this will pick it up.

Lance is another builder near Cincinnati, He got his 818C a couple of weeks ago. I believe it might be the first in a customer's hands.

Here is his introduction:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post213117

Michael and I stopped at his workshop today to see the Coupe.
    I will just post a bunch of pictures and let you guys have at it.
    Let me know if someone wants me to post a higher resolution picture. Or send me a pm with email address and I will send you full resolution.

Bob

P1050645.jpg P1050646.jpg P1050647.jpg P1050648.jpg P1050649.jpg P1050650.jpg P1050651.jpgP1050652.jpg P1050653.jpg P1050654.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-25-2015 at 07:24 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Good man Bob, some fine detective work! So does the new front end need a new nose frame or can the brackets be bolted on? and pics with the front insert piece between the fenders? I checked the FFR parts website on Friday and they still haven't posted the front end parts for existing 818 customers. I might try giving them a call.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Thanks for sharing Bob. Looking forward to watching this one come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a guy in Indy 2 minutes from my work that go his coupe on Thursday. I'm going to go check it out sometime this week. I think he said he was the 7th Coupe? Any pics of the headlight assemblies?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, thanks. I've studied the photos carefully because I've preordered the coupe top for my 818S.
    Do you know if the builder, Lance, requested a black top, or is that the only choice?
    The door frame is totally different so perhaps the coupe top will include this new door frame? Do you know if the door skins are the same?
    What headlights are included and can they be aligned? That's been my problem with the Camry lights.
    Is the windshield mount the same with 2 bolts per side into the chassis tabs?
    Are the rear hatch hinges included?
    How is the window glass installed? Need pro like windshield glass or is that DIY?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Good man Bob, some fine detective work! So does the new front end need a new nose frame or can the brackets be bolted on? and pics with the front insert piece between the fenders? I checked the FFR parts website on Friday and they still haven't posted the front end parts for existing 818 customers. I might try giving them a call.
    The coupe nose steel comes with some tabs for bolting on some fender supports.
    I do not know if a retrofit nose package will come with a new nose steel or just that tabs that will need welding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    There's a guy in Indy 2 minutes from my work that go his coupe on Thursday. I'm going to go check it out sometime this week. I think he said he was the 7th Coupe? Any pics of the headlight assemblies?
    The Headlight assemblies were backordered. But he did have some really nice/expensive looking Hella projectors that came with the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Bob, thanks. I've studied the photos carefully because I've preordered the coupe top for my 818S.
    Do you know if the builder, Lance, requested a black top, or is that the only choice?
    The door frame is totally different so perhaps the coupe top will include this new door frame? Do you know if the door skins are the same?
    What headlights are included and can they be aligned? That's been my problem with the Camry lights.
    Is the windshield mount the same with 2 bolts per side into the chassis tabs?
    Are the rear hatch hinges included?
    How is the window glass installed? Need pro like windshield glass or is that DIY?
    I don't know if he ordered Black or if there was a choice.
    The door skins are the same. The new door frame is for the electric windows.
    I didn't get the part number for the Hella projectors. As he didn't have the buckets, I can't answer the question about adjustability.
    Windshield mount is the same.
    Yes, rear hatch hinges and gas tubes are included.
    He has the windshield, same instillation.
    The door glass, quarter window, and hatch glass were back ordered. It looks to me like similar installation as the windshield.

His nose grill was also backordered.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-25-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Thanks for posting. Can't wait to get my hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    In one of the pictures above, I forgot to mention how good the roof mated with the rear bumper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting color match on the gel coat...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling that its not an option on the color its standard. In their email they sent about how they updated the top it was also black in that picture. I also was never given the option when I made my order on the 818c. I would say though, for anyone making an order on just the tops a black top will look better with any color car versus shipping out a red top to everyone with an S. That's my guess at least

Post Thanks / Like
    They also mentioned there were mild parting lines and the top will require body work. Unlike the rest of the body of course
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    They also mentioned there were mild parting lines and the top will require body work. Unlike the rest of the body of course
    The new nose has parting lines that will need to be removed.

I'm sure the cobra guys will lets us know how to clean these up.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice body fitting!! That's a no-work body! lolll

I hope those (like me) oredering (some day!) the new front nose for retrofit will have those super expensive hella projectors with.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, you said the top mates nicely with the trunk but I also noticed how well it fits with the side pieces (side sails). Good job FFR.
    Hey, Craig, when you visit the coupe in Indy can you get a photo or two of the roof? In Bob's shots the hood was on the roof.
    I hope to get the call soon about my coupe top production date.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everybody, that's my car! And it does fit very well. One thing that helps is the fact that there are fewer pieces to align. I just pinned down the hood and fenders today and my intent was to align the fender crease with the door crease (body lines), which works out pretty good. The door ends up flush with its opening and the bottom follows the body line on the sill. I don't know if this is what FFR intended but they seem to leave lots to the builder's discretion. That's my take anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    yay. I've been waiting for coupe builds to come around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the photos. I'm going to actually finish my S before I think about putting too much new scope in the mix :-) but thrilled to see the start of a Coupe build in the mix on the forum and will watch with a lot of interest in what is different about the nose, top and in particular doors.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe those parting lines can be simply buffed out?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    The coupe and cobra guys do a ton of work to the parting line areas...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    umm.... NO!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if it's anything like the cobra guys, you need to knock the flashing down, then use a bright light under the seams to find voids or pockets and dig those out. Then fill with body filler and sand. Some guys use resin to fill the larger voids. Rage Gold filler is extremely popular.

Post Thanks / Like
    All depends upon one's definition of "buffed out" now doesn't it! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Yeah, if it's anything like the cobra guys, you need to knock the flashing down, then use a bright light under the seams to find voids or pockets and dig those out. Then fill with body filler and sand. Some guys use resin to fill the larger voids. Rage Gold filler is extremely popular.
    Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like my bodywork is going to be relative to whenever FFR releases : door glass,grill insert, front street splitter and inner door panels
    I don't know how the door glass is supposed to seal well enough to eliminate huge amounts of wind related noises. No channel to seal to or to house a seal, no window trim for window slots, not even a template for the slot. I'll figure something out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I don't know how the door glass is supposed to seal well enough to eliminate huge amounts of wind related noises. No channel to seal to or to house a seal, no window trim for window slots, not even a template for the slot. I'll figure something out.
    Thats unfortunate. It appears to be a theme with the 818, but from what I understand it's still light years ahead of other kits out there. I expect some builders, perhaps yourself, will fill in what FFR left out for the rest of us. That's what I love about this community! Enjoy your build, post pics.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like my bodywork is going to be relative to whenever FFR releases : door glass,grill insert, front street splitter and inner door panels
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Thats unfortunate. It appears to be a theme with the 818, but from what I understand it's still light years ahead of other kits out there. I expect some builders, perhaps yourself, will fill in what FFR left out for the rest of us. That's what I love about this community! Enjoy your build, post pics.
    Before jumping to conclusions:
    Somebody out at SEMA will take pictures of the window seals.
    FFR said one of the delays they had was to get the window seal right.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    That fender alignment bracket looks heavy.

Can I get some measurements of the front subframe? Mostly interested in how far back it is from the hood lip and how far down from the hood lip. That's the bar I use to mount my front hood hinge. I modeled a concept for the coupe hinge tonight using the existing 818S subframe and hood lip location to estimate the top of the nose mesh. It looks like the subframe might have moved up a bit though.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    That fender alignment bracket looks heavy.

Can I get some measurements of the front subframe? Mostly interested in how far back it is from the hood lip and how far down from the hood lip. That's the bar I use to mount my front hood hinge. I modeled a concept for the coupe hinge tonight using the existing 818S subframe and hood lip location to estimate the top of the nose mesh. It looks like the subframe might have moved up a bit though.
    Craig,
    From my eyeball view, the main dimension of the front frame have not changed. I also think the hood has not changed.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Hey, Craig, when you visit the coupe in Indy can you get a photo or two of the roof? In Bob's shots the hood was on the roof.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm excited to see what personal touches you're gonna put on your 818. Following build threads is a blast and I can't wait to see what you come out with! Let us know if you need anything or have any questions
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Before jumping to conclusions:
    Somebody out at SEMA will take pictures of the window seals.
    FFR said one of the delays they had was to get the window seal right.
    Bob]
    I'll be checking this out at SEMA, I'll try to get some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    From Rear
    From Rear.jpg
    Window Closed
    Window Closed.jpg
    Door Open
    Window Seal.jpg
    Creased At Corner
    Corner.jpg

It appears that when the window is closed, it seals pretty well, my only concern looking at it here is the crease to make the corner at the upper rear of the window.

Post Thanks / Like

Lance is doing some modification to his front end on the coupe with new nose.

He had to reconfigure the radiator mount for a different style radiator. Also added front bumper.

IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0837.jpg IMG_1349.jpg IMG_9909.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    He had to reconfigure the radiator mount for a different style radiator. Also added front bumper.

IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0837.jpg IMG_1349.jpg IMG_9909.jpg
    Looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by Lance's shop today and took some pictures.

P1050700.jpg P1050701.jpg P1050702.jpg P1050703.jpg P1050704.jpg P1050705.jpg P1050706.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, he's getting after it. What's that reinforcing on the hood?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How did you add the support to the hood?
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast