Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First 818 COUPE build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Wow, he's getting after it. What's that reinforcing on the hood?
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    How did you add the support to the hood?
    Balsa sandwiched in fiberglass.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi lance are you installing the wiper kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Or Bob n Cincy

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I want to do the same thing to the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    How did you add the support to the hood?
    I simply went to my local auto parts store and bought a siamesed tube of panel adhesive(2 part epoxy) to glue the balsa wood to the hood bottom. 50 grit sandpaper to prep, then fit the wood. I sawed grooves in the planks 4/5 of the way through, allowing the wood to conform to the contour of the hood. After gluing the wood to the hood, I filled the saw grooves with the same panel adhesive, effectively locking in the contours. After all that, another round of 50 grit in prep for the fiberglass. 3 layers of glass cloth & resin completed the job. It's so stiff now, it's unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    The supplied wiper kit requires trimming of the hood. This doesn't appeal to me, so I may seek an alternate method of operation which allows the hood to remain untouched.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the details. Would not have thought to make the contour slits.... clever!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance, if you're able to, can you get a photo pf what the new style headlamps look like when they're lit up?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Loring View Post
    Lance, if you're able to, can you get a photo pf what the new style headlamps look like when they're lit up?

Thanks.
    Yep, would like to see them

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    The supplied wiper kit requires trimming of the hood. This doesn't appeal to me, so I may seek an alternate method of operation which allows the hood to remain untouched.
    I was thinking maybe use that piece put it over fix it with somme fiber glass it will be like a hump

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everybody
    Lance sent me a bunch of pictures, I'll post the body mods tonight.

He opened up the side vents and filled in the original fuel filler opening. I think these side vents will bring twice the air into the engine compartment.

Here is an awesome look at the new nose.

He is funneling all the frontal air into his radiator.
    He sent me a bunch of pictures, I'll post some each day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-22-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thanks for photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is sme of Lance's gas Tank pictures.

Frame mods will be next!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the fiberglass just bent in to open those ducts up more? I want to do this also and was wondering if the fiberglass will just destress over time/ sitting in sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Was the fiberglass just bent in to open those ducts up more? I want to do this also and was wondering if the fiberglass will just destress over time/ sitting in sun.
    My experience with fiberglass and putting it under stress like this is that it will eventually conform to the bend and will not have any forces to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, Looks just like what I did, It makes it look much nicer. cool

Post Thanks / Like
    That gas tank is a great design. How many gallons does it hold?

Post Thanks / Like
    If I recall correctly, It is 13 gallons.
    Lance designed the tank and Boyd welding manufactured it.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Now for Lance's Frame Motifications

Do you guys like pictures full size or as thumbnails that you can click on?

Front Bumper frame design

fm 818 build pics 001.jpg

Windshield mount with locator bracket.
    fm how the _A_ pillars locate.jpg

fm locators for _A_ pillars.jpg

Large single fan wit custom shroud
    fm modified fan shroud.jpg

Custom mount of rear side sails.
    Lance added bars along all body seams.

fm mount for rear sail panel.jpg

Rear bumper for safety and to meet Ohio's code.
    fm my rear bumper.jpg

Lance used a single bar for the shock cross bar.
    fm straight bar to replace factory bar.jpg

Front bumper for safety and to meet Ohio's code.
    fm without fenders, shows mounting straps.jpg

Lance reminds me of Wayne and Erik building the first 818S. They were setting the bar pretty high.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    I just slit the side sail along body line and then cut some sticks to wedge the opening to the desired width. Leave the sticks in until fiberglass sets up.
    I did structural glassing from back side, finishing up the cosmetics on the outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just slit the side sail along body line and then cut some sticks to wedge the opening to the desired width. Leave the sticks in until fiberglass sets up.
    I did structural glassing from back side, finishing up the cosmetics on the outside.
    Bob is correct. The modified openings are roughly twice as wide as stock. They now measure ~4" at top and ~2" at bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work on the frame mods

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance, do you have a need for your shock crossbar? I'm in need of one since mine is missing. One of the hazards when buying an unfinished project.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much adjustability have you built into your body mounts? Are you doing all the body mounting and fitting first? I was wondering if getting this done first would keep the inevitable dust from getting Ito everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also like the frame modifications/additions. You've added some stuff that I would have copied 8 months ago.

Edit: I like the thumbnail pictures. Faster loading.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea on the locator bracket for the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like for you to have my stock shock bar. Pay for shipping. It really isn't much to look at. Looks like a beginner tried to weld it. Lots of ground off welds makes it look bush league. Plus its twice as heavy as the bar I replaced it with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Great idea on the locator bracket for the windshield.
    Looks like FFR could easily cut these pieces when cutting a-pillar lowers. Just my " builder's discretion" to do mine this way. I have no idea if others are doing this already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    How much adjustability have you built into your body mounts? Are you doing all the body mounting and fitting first? I was wondering if getting this done first would keep the inevitable dust from getting Ito everything.
    I've slotted the brackets that I welded to the chassis, allowing about .75 of adjustability. Did you see the steel strips I bent to conform to the under side of the fender lip? To thus strip I welded an angle bracket with a single 1\4-20 x 1" bolt which connects my fender to the chassis bracket. I have two such connections per fender. This makes the body panels very quick and easy to remove and reinstall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance started working on the rear body.
    IMG_0647.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is some of Lance's work on the license plate mounting.

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    What modifications were required in order to get that gas tank to fit?
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EODTech87 View Post
    What modifications were required in order to get that gas tank to fit?
    No mods necessary. I designed it to fit between frame members. Its also notched in the rear to allow for brake master cylinder clearance. Because of the triangular shape,fuel slosh is minimized. I did however make a riser for the filler cap to raise it above the frame members to facilitate fueling.

Post Thanks / Like
    whos frenched license plate kit is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    whos frenched license plate kit is that?
    Superior Glass Works. $27 plus shipping. You will receive only the box. I've added the flange myself. When finished there will be a piece of 1\8" th plexiglass to cover the box. It will be flush with the rear panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much did it cost for them to build it and are you willing to share the data so if anyone wants to order one we can?
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EODTech87 View Post
    How much did it cost for them to build it and are you willing to share the data so if anyone wants to order one we can?
    Sure I'll share it with you. Boyds should have it on file tho. You really should look it over very close because I designed it for my application. Will wood brake pedals, plus I've redesigned my front radiator framework and am not using the supplied shifter cables. This all makes a difference. Pm me your email address and I'll send out a jpeg of my drawing. You can compare and modify where necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed, want to see the evolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    as you did the hood reinforcement how did you make sure you reinforced the hood is in the proper position? So you don't end up with a reinforced hood which is twisted or bent?

I simply went to my local auto parts store and bought a siamesed tube of panel adhesive(2 part epoxy) to glue the balsa wood to the hood bottom. 50 grit sandpaper to prep, then fit the wood. I sawed grooves in the planks 4/5 of the way through, allowing the wood to conform to the contour of the hood. After gluing the wood to the hood, I filled the saw grooves with the same panel adhesive, effectively locking in the contours. After all that, another round of 50 grit in prep for the fiberglass. 3 layers of glass cloth & resin completed the job. It's so stiff now, it's unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bzoli View Post
    as you did the hood reinforcement how did you make sure you reinforced the hood is in the proper position? So you don't end up with a reinforced hood which is twisted or bent?
    When you cut the grooves in the wood, this will allow them to conform to the hood curvature. Before filling saw cuts with epoxy, find a large cardboard box and lay it on its side. Push on the large flat until it has a slight dish. This will cradle the hood when you lay it on top of the box. Once the epoxy is put in the saw cuts, this will lock the hood into its natural contours. After the saw cut epoxy cures, it should have enough torsional rigidity to resist warping until the glass work is finished.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast