Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GRM / Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

Post Thanks / Like

GRM / Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

GRM and Tire Rack put on an Ultimate Track Car Challenge each year. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/utcc-15/ I do not recall seeing any GTM's in recent years. Several of you have cars that should be competitive and demonstrate how a GTM stacks up against other trackday vehicles. Any interest?
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there next year. Should have been there this year but things happen.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This I want to see.... BAD. Nice job on the paint by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing it with your race wheels/tires, they finish the look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    This I want to see.... BAD. Nice job on the paint by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing it with your race wheels/tires, they finish the look.
    As soon as the car returns from Florida the Hoosiers go back on. They fill the wheel wells much better since I shaped the body to just cover them. They look much better.

The UTCC should be fun as the GTM should be in the top 10. Considering the field and the experienced drivers who attend I'd be happy with that.
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    John, That sounds great. You will do well.

Anyone else?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

GRM just arrived in my mailbox with the UTCC results. The top 10 were under 2 min on the 3.27 mile full course. Have you driven the full course? If so would you mind sharing your times with us?

No GTM's but one Superlite SLC. Specs said it weighed almost 3000# (I assume with driver since many were listed that way), 600 hp, a huge rear wing and lots of front aero gizmos.

A local Stohr came in first but I was surprised that a 2015 Boss 302 Mustang came in second. The engine had been juiced up and aero added.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ken.

Unfortunately my only experience at VIR I developed a problem shifting from 3rd to 4th.

Later I found I had worn and broken shift dogs.

With a limping car I did 2.04s

Im reasonably sure I'm in the ballpark for a top ten. Says a lot about the car since I am a rookie racer on a difficult track.

I'll get there and we can see how I do.

Here is a vid of me struggling with shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattrax View Post
    John,

GRM just arrived in my mailbox with the UTCC results. The top 10 were under 2 min on the 3.27 mile full course. Have you driven the full course? If so would you mind sharing your times with us?

No GTM's but one Superlite SLC. Specs said it weighed almost 3000# (I assume with driver since many were listed that way), 600 hp, a huge rear wing and lots of front aero gizmos.

A local Stohr came in first but I was surprised that a 2015 Boss 302 Mustang came in second. The engine had been juiced up and aero added.

Ken
    Hey Ken.
    Last edited by kabacj; 08-05-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    Thanks for the reply. With that much trouble shifting you had to loose time, concentration, and set up for the next segment. Not to take anything away from the difficulty of it but I would think sub 2's should be definitely attainable. Hesitated to say easy for you.
    I track my Classic Roadsters Austin Healey kit car but only at about 9/10 due to limited protection. Seeing your vid encourages me to finish my GTM to a trackable state. I had a mid-engine car once, what a joy to drive. The GTM should be even better.
    Ken