Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Long Beach 818S

Post Thanks / Like

Long Beach 818S

Hello to anyone out there.
    I have an 818S and I need help lining up the front end. The bumper, fenders and hood don't line up. Plus the head light buckets don't fit in right. I have measured and played with everything but with little success. I'm not a fabricator and I would like to have a fresh perspective on what is needed to correct my problem. Maybe someone knows a good shop that deals with fiberglass. I live in Long Beach Ca. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by samuel View Post
    Hello to anyone out there.
    I have an 818S and I need help lining up the front end. The bumper, fenders and hood don't line up. Plus the head light buckets don't fit in right. I have measured and played with everything but with little success. I'm not a fabricator and I would like to have a fresh perspective on what is needed to correct my problem. Maybe someone knows a good shop that deals with fiberglass. I live in Long Beach Ca. Thanks!
    Hi Samuel,
    You did not mention if you had a gen 1 or 2 front end. Here is a video I made for installing my headlight buckets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlPaGiM453c

This is my front end with ZERO trimming. front.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 07-15-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    post lots of pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Thank you Bob I have a Gen 1 front end and have viewed your video. I'll post pictures in a few days. Maybe you'll see something I missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0184.jpegIMG_0182.jpegOk, here is my my problem(s) First I should say that i've had no real trouble with the side sales or rear bumper. Everything went in fairly smoothly. Even the doors fit well, which really suprised me! But from the fenders forward everything goes wonkey! The left side,(drivers) seems semi ok except the head light buckets are too large and lift up the fender.

These pictures are without hood
    Last edited by samuel; 07-18-2020 at 12:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The left side fender twists backwards from the sidesale it's attached to and thus won't fit forward over the front. When bolted to the bumper it's very stressed.
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    Last edited by samuel; 07-18-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your pictures links are incorrect, we can't see what you hope we see.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0187.jpgI'm not sure these pictures help much. It would probably be better to take a look live to get a better idea of whats amiss.
    Last edited by samuel; 07-18-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, didn't do the pictures right. here's the hood laying on top.Attachment 132011IMG_0189.jpegIMG_0191 2.jpeg
    Last edited by samuel; 07-18-2020 at 12:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, that is pretty far off. Is there a chance the panels are warped, did they get stored in an odd position while off the body?

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if this is the issue for you or not, but three things I remember from that portion of my car are:
    - the headlights sat up too high. I ended up with mine rotated forward to give more clearance. I regret doing this as the headlights point down too much now and low beam at night isnt great. I should have figured out how to lower the whole headlight. One area I will be going back to eventually.
    -i put spacers under the upper rear fender attachment point to give more clearance over the windshield frame. This stressed the fiberglass a little, but it didn't feel unreasonable and I am guessing its shape has adjusted over time.
    -my windshield frame was not square. One side sat lower then the other. I was never able to get the two sides exact, which causes the corner of my hood to sit up slightly on one side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that putting the hood, fenders, and bumper together off the car, was the best way to give me confidence they all fit together. I used clamps and a lot of tape to hold them all together. Then I put the all on the car as one piece. (2 persons needed). I use spacers where necessary when mounting.
    When the assembly was sitting flat on the floor I had to put a spacer in the middle of the bumper and let the 2 ends droop down. This was so the hood could slide forward enough to match the bumpers.
    My car is a 20 ft car. A lot more work is still needed to get it anywhere near OEM quality.

nose.jpg nose2.jpg

I feel The headlight aiming issue was one of the main reason FFR went to the gen 2 frontend. The only way I've seen this fixed on gen 1 front end was by replacing the headlight assemblies with projectors units.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 07-19-2020 at 02:09 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so. I had the fenders on a shelf in my garage in sunny SoCal. The right one does seem to twist off to the right. But they measure the same. If they were made on the cold Michigan winter then shipped here, then maybe you are right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Yikes, that is pretty far off. Is there a chance the panels are warped, did they get stored in an odd position while off the body?
    Last edited by samuel; 07-20-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. I'll see if that helps. I'm going to have to take the head lights out because they will still push up the fenders. What are, "projector units."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by samuel View Post
    Thanks Bob. I'll see if that helps. I'm going to have to take the head lights out because they will still push up the fenders. What are, "projector units."
    when you shine your headlights against a wall, you should get a horizontal line. With the mounting of the FFR lights in the gen 1 body, you get an up-side-down "V".
    Projector are round units in the headlight assembly. Some after market projector can be rotated to get you back to a horizontal line.
    ipro.jpg