BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Redfogo's 818C build

Post Thanks / Like

Redfogo's 818C build

Well today was the day it's finally here! I plan to be documenting both on in this thread as well as on my website. Currently finishing up the site, but I am hoping to provide an 818 resource site so that content is a little bit quicker to find vs having to search high and low on the forums . Basically a quick help guide and resource that can lead back to established posts between here and other Subaru forums. Not too many pictures yet, I have started off the whole day buy counting all the items in the boxes. I learned that FF does not label every aluminum piece this made for a longer than expected checklist time...

If anyone is looking for more detailed pictures of the coupe just let me know I'm glad to take them before the body comes off, and the fun begins!

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good Luck! Have Fun
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Well today was the day it's finally here! I plan to be documenting both on in this thread as well as on my website. Currently finishing up the site, but I am hoping to provide an 818 resource site so that content is a little bit quicker to find vs having to search high and low on the forums . Basically a quick help guide and resource that can lead back to established posts between here and other Subaru forums. Not too many pictures yet, I have started off the whole day buy counting all the items in the boxes. I learned that FF does not label every aluminum piece this made for a longer than expected checklist time... If anyone is looking for more detailed pictures of the coupe just let me know I'm glad to take them before the body comes off, and the fun begins!image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPG
    exciting! cant wait to see the progress
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Looking forward to following your process. Share your website URL when it's ready!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you started your inventory yet? With not a lot of spare room in my garage, inventory is not the most fun thing to do... missing some pieces out of the boxes I have been able to get through, biggest struggle is trying to determine what some of the custom parts are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have inventory is 90% complete, I was missing an inventory sheet on box 9 which looks to have all the coupe stuff like the locks and stuff. So waiting on FF to get back to me on that one.... They said they can't get the sheet for a few days I guess. Outside of that yes inventory is complete missing a few things but waiting tell I have box 9 checked over before I talk about what's all missing. I noticed they include some 818C parts that they dont cover on the sheet which was a bit disappointing. All I can do is hope I have them all.

Also the manual sent was the 818S manual with no 818C appendix so no way to look in that for details. No way to even tell what you do for the 818C additions. I did inventory all in my basement so I could keep things out of the garage. Shoot me an email and I will gladly take pictures of whatever you need so I can help you identify.
    Last edited by redfogo; 11-16-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Red, Ill let you know what I am missing and if you want I can look and take photos of what you think you might be missing and swap back and forth... I might actually photograph every part and build a parts inventory. at least for stuff not labeled at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a TON of extra parts available (all the aluminum for example, shift cables, all the corregated water pipe, joints for same, etc) so just let us know

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SnyderJD View Post
    Red, Ill let you know what I am missing and if you want I can look and take photos of what you think you might be missing and swap back and forth... I might actually photograph every part and build a parts inventory. at least for stuff not labeled at all.
    If you do inventory everything let me know I would love to add it as a resource for everyone on my site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the build has started and my list of parts missing has been sent of the FF.. I have got a lot done including my website www.redfogo.com
    Please let me know if you would like to add content, see something that needs changed, or have any feedback, I am trying to provide a resource for everyone.

Follow my blog here: http://redfogo.com/index.php/category/build-status/

As for my update for the forum:
    I took off last Thursday and Friday from work and went to town all week/weekend long. After a long week all panels are placed in the basement and the build has started.

Summery
    -Engine is in.
    -Made a custom modification to the OEM alternator mount so that its strong and light .
    -Transmission and clutch is in.
    -Front suspension is almost finished need to replace wheel bearings.
    -New guides added to my site
    -Front suspension
    -Engine
    -Drivetrain
    IMG_3019%20600x800_zpsev1l5rnw.JPG
    IMG_3018%20600x800_zps9kxp1oww.JPG
    IMG_3012%20600x800_zpspatrksbp.JPG
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-14-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your website is a fantastic idea! Will you be adding links to video tutorials like the headlight install? (I think it was Bob who made it)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for putting this all together. The website looks great.

I am especially looking forward to following your build because down the road I'm looking at an EJ207v7 coupe build.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Your website is a fantastic idea! Will you be adding links to video tutorials like the headlight install? (I think it was Bob who made it)
    I can do that for sure! Its a coupe so headlight will be "easier install" so they say. I plan to document how the new lights install when I hit that point. ATM I don't even have them yet. I will add a helpful links tab feel free to inform me of any other link you might like. Trying to help everyone from having to dig through the search function the best I can.

Links I will add to helpful links tab:
    -Old style headlight install.
    -New style when its here.
    -Single blade wiper.
    -Coolant neck mod
    -Links to wiring guides.
    -I will be wiring up using an infinity box. It will be a full every wire documented style guide .
    Last edited by redfogo; 11-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Job! Thank you for doing this!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great! Your resource will be extremely helpful. Thank you!
    Ken Allwine
    Hershey, PA

Post Thanks / Like
    So the coupe chassis is different from the 818S ? I noticed the single "roll hoop" as opposed to the twin bumps that the 818S has, and certainly like that. The rear stays t-ing in so far below the top of the bar is a bit puzzling though.

Question: Does anyone know if the support stays that butt into the "sides" of the roll hoop are close enough to the top/corner to meet most various race sanctioning body's rules ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    I noticed the single "roll hoop" as opposed to the twin bumps that the 818S has, and certainly like that.
    The roll bar didn't change. At least mine looks the same.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My bad - I remembered the 818S having a hoop behind each seat, but that dates back to the renderings they posted prior to production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    My bad - I remembered the 818S having a hoop behind each seat, but that dates back to the renderings they posted prior to production.
    A couple builders have modified their roll bar into dual hoops... that might what you were thinking, but the S and Coupe frames both have a single straight bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanksgiving took up a little more time then I planned so not a lot finished up last week. However, I had the joy of installing my floor my arms are a little tired after that one. I completely sealed the floor to help provide a good seal to stop water and air from getting in. Documented up and finished fitting the rear links and arms. I used aftermarket TCS and godspeed parts all required some modification. Website has been updated with helpful links page feel free to give more suggestions.

Summery
    -Rear links and arms installed.
    -Floor installed
    -Updated site with 50% complete rear suspension and helpful links tabs.

IMG_3058%20800x600_zpswltk0dwa.JPG
    IMG_3057%20800x600_zpsrixnunsr.JPG
    IMG_3046%20800x600_zpsh1wkludw.JPG
    IMG_3030%20800x600%202_zpsswcbugjq.JPG
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-14-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    you have me feeling very lazy now! I still have not finished inventory, but I did finish my finals Sunday night and now have winter break until beginning of January, so i have a lot of catching up to do. the blog and site look great! out of curiosity how are you storing your glass for now? Most of my inventoried boxes are going in over head storage. and building some shelves to hold body pieces until needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    what center console is that ? shifter location looks pretty far forward or is it in a nice spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SnyderJD View Post
    you have me feeling very lazy now! I still have not finished inventory, but I did finish my finals Sunday night and now have winter break until beginning of January, so i have a lot of catching up to do. the blog and site look great! out of curiosity how are you storing your glass for now? Most of my inventoried boxes are going in over head storage. and building some shelves to hold body pieces until needed.
    The only glass I have is the windshield, and I just placed that in one of the long boxes FFR sent. I plan to keep all the other glass in the boxes they ship out in once FFR sends it over. I converted my basement into a storage facility lol. So my basement is essentially useless tell my car is built. The parts take up one room and the the top take up the rest of the usable space in the main room of the basement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you post pictures of the door liners, I saw the part list for the new hardtop and they come with new door cards. Also wondering what the rear hinges look like for the glass. Wondering if mechies hinges would work for the S or new hinges need to be designed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking website!,

what console is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Could you post pictures of the door liners, I saw the part list for the new hardtop and they come with new door cards. Also wondering what the rear hinges look like for the glass. Wondering if mechies hinges would work for the S or new hinges need to be designed.
    Sadly I don't have the liners or the hinges I will be sure to post them when FFR sends though though now idea when that will be though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolspot View Post
    Nice looking website!,

what console is that?
    Center console is out of an FR-S it looks like it will fit perfect I won't know for sure tell I start the interior! I will be using sparco EVO seats so I will have a little more clearance them OEM
    Last edited by redfogo; 12-13-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Holidays have been a bit of a busy away from the car! Hoping to get back on schedule after the new year. As always any new tips or tricks I'm missing on my site let me know

I did however get a few things done:

Summery
    -Front end is fully assembled minus front sway bar I’m still deciding if I want to install one or not.
    -Axles are assembled, I had a lot of trouble until I found the hose clamp tip! Added to my useful link section.
    -Floor pan had to be removed. I jumped the gun and forgot I still needed to weld in seat brackets and harness mounts.
    -Notice my intake pipe had a rip in the section that clamps onto the turbo. Removed the old hose in preparation for when my new hose arrives. I found that cutting out the old one was far more easy versus trying to take it out as one
    -Brake master cylinder has been installed, I recommend using longer bolts for install. I used 2 6mm cap screws that were a bit longer then FFRs procided capFactory five hardware seems far to short anyone else have this issue?
    -Updated my site site

FullSizeRender6_zpsrawebabp.JPG
    IMG_0077_zpshutlpu1d.JPG
    IMG_3065%20800x600_zpsqp5xwwb4.JPG
    IMG_0064_zps3ukqug5a.JPG
    FullSizeRender5_zpsmxjqg6vy.JPG
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-14-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently trying to solve all the mounting points for a 6 point harness. So far this is where I am at, I probably got a little weld happy and have a slightly larger weld. But rather have my base covered then not.

Has anyone noticed that the submarine/crotch belt is not evenly mounted if you weld within the X part of the frame under the seat. It seems that the seat are more to the left of the center of X. So when you install your sub belts one side is going to be longer then the other. I can't find any regulation against this. But I'm not sure if thats safe or not. Has anyone had any experience with this or noticed it?
    Here is an image from under the seat
    IMG_3081%20800x600_zpsvq84ucta.JPG

Here is how I welded everything up so far.
    IMG_3086%20800x600_zps6rlclk90.JPG
    IMG_3085%20800x600_zps0ueqmthu.JPG
    IMG_3088%20800x600_zpser7qdz8e.JPG
    IMG_3079%20800x600_zps5gciemrf.JPG
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-14-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! I have noticed the same thing about the X-brace. I think it's because the X brace goes up against the side of the frame on the outside, but on the inside, it goes PAST the center tunnel tubes, while the seat can't go past. This means the center of the X is not in the center of where the seat can be located. Don't worry about it.... no inspector is going to care about things being centered (though I do not have a lot of experience with inspection, to be honest, but I can't imagine anyone caring.... they are just going to care if it's welded and what its welded to).

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked with Schroth this morning they were extremely helpful! They said its okay to have the offset since it is not very drastic they said so long as its a few inches your fine. Just make sure you have correct spacing between the two.

They did recommended not to wrap the belts around the frame square bar, they said the load of force can't be evenly dispersed like it can be on a rounded tube. They said you could possibly get away with it since its a large tube on the frame, but its not ideal. So I will just be welding in some mounts onto the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Redfogo,

Quick question for you would you be able to measure your front radiator subframe and give me the locations of the brackets for the new front end. Since your not making major frame changes like Lance Corsi is with his coupe build. Are the brackets welded in place on the frame for the upper and lower fender mounts. Im retrofitting my S to make it into C but ffr wont have a manual or revisions for a few weeks. The engineers are wrapping up the Power Nation Coupe build out in Tennessee right now.

Thanks
    -Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Redfogo,

Quick question for you would you be able to measure your front radiator subframe and give me the locations of the brackets for the new front end. Since your not making major frame changes like Lance Corsi is with his coupe build. Are the brackets welded in place on the frame for the upper and lower fender mounts. Im retrofitting my S to make it into C but ffr wont have a manual or revisions for a few weeks. The engineers are wrapping up the Power Nation Coupe build out in Tennessee right now.

Thanks
    -Robert
    Yeah I sure can currently out of town for work but I will do my best to get things over to you at the end of the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a bunch. Im currently disassembling my old front and just mocking things up. Trying to guess off of old pics but measurements would definetly help. I got the hinges for the hatch and the new door liners. The door liners look to be exactly the same but they are vinyl covered. Now I need to cover my dash or order just a vinyl covered dash to match the new liners. Hinges attach to the top of the roll bar. I need to play with the configuration to get the right combination to get them working. Seems pretty straightforward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Sadly I don't have the liners or the hinges I will be sure to post them when FFR sends though though now idea when that will be though.
    You will be using hinges from your donor car! Wait no longer!

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock hindges are for the S. I've gotten the new hindges already just need to play with the orientation to figure out how it all goes together. No instructions but no glass yet so who cares. I will post up some pics of anyone wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures? Yes, yes. Me, and others, are waiting for our coupe upgrade kits so like kids at Christmas we're eager to see what's under the tree.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I will get some more up tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance. Anything specific you may want pics of

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock hindges are for the S. I've gotten the new hindges already just need to play with the orientation to figure out how it all goes together. No instructions but no glass yet so who cares. I will post up some pics of anyone wants.
    Here's what I did: use rear donor door hinges, put bottom hinge on top, top hinge on bottom. That's what seemed to work for me. I'm not using ant door handles or locks. Door poppers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast