BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Redfogo's 818C build

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome. Wing and exhaust. Keep up the good work. We all appreciate the photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dammit. Now I need a 3d printer. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Dammit. Now I need a 3d printer. Thanks.
    I would highly recommend it printing has got alot cheaper and the home printers have come along way. I bought a 300x300x400mm printer for $320 bucks. The print quality is pretty great on this thing.

Here is a NACA duct I printed just need to smooth it out and it's ready to rock.

20180729_222136.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Where is that going?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Nice. Where is that going?
    Not sure yet mostly printed it cause I wanted to see where I could put it. Didn't cost me more then a $1 to print so figured why not right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it. What about printing some narrow ones for the tunnel below the existing side vents? I use the side vents fully for my intercooler. The lower duct could force air to the intake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have been thinking about this as well I like the idea . I have also been thinking about doing vents on the coupe top kinda like how the C7 vet has the vents up top by the quarter window. Lots of options scared to cut anything until I find what looks best haha.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    very cool, wing profile looks excellent on the car.

ps are you running evos or evo iis? i need to order a new seat for my dd and im worried the evo ii will be too loose (32 waist)
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 07-30-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 30 waist and evo 2 feels good to me. I had to go evo 2s because I wanted to give friends and family rides some of which have larger then a 32 waist lol. Think that's max on an evo1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    good to know! thanks man. I'm was definitely going to go 2 on the passenger, but I didn't want to be bouncing around in it, if you are comfy in a evo 2 i should be too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I would highly recommend it printing has got alot cheaper and the home printers have come along way. I bought a 300x300x400mm printer for $320 bucks. The print quality is pretty great on this thing.

Here is a NACA duct I printed just need to smooth it out and it's ready to rock.

20180729_222136.jpg
    Yep, that pretty much cements it. Now, nothing will get done on the 818 that costs money until I've saved up enough of my "allowance" to get a printer. I was looking at one of the many "put it together yourself" kits. Seems analogous to building a kit car. Better understanding of where all the parts go, more confidence that I can troubleshoot and fix problems when they happen, and importantly...more/better performance for the price. And certainly, if I can put together a Subaru engine (that runs) I can put together a 3d printer, yes? On the other hand, if that printer you bought was already assembled, that seems pretty hard to beat at $320. Any chance you can point me in the right direction to get started? I don't have any friends with experience here and the internet searching always returns the black-belt answer...."IT DEPENDS". At least I can say we PROBABLY have some overlapping goals and needs, so whatever is important to you is worth hearing to me.

Also, what do you use to model your custom parts? I've used Sketchup for a lot of my wood-working projects in the past, but it doesn't seem to be very good for 3d printing so I started messing around with Freecad last month. Looks a lot more capable than it needs to be for 3d printing, but might also be better than some options for CNC machining? I'd like to build my own CNC router eventually (I think Josh Jach built his own and used it to carve the design in his transmission cover plate...got me interested). And I'll need a project less expensive than a Factory Five to keep me busy after this thing goes together (or maybe when I need some down time from body work).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a monoprice maker select plus that I have been happy with. I paid somewhere in the $300 range for it. Nothing fancy but it does ok with PLA and ABS prints. In addition to making parts I have gotten a lot of use out of it making custom spacers, shapes for tracing and sanding blocks with specific radius. I wish I had it from the beginning of my car build.

For software I have had good luck with Autodesk Fusion 360. You can get a free license for home use and it is pretty easy to use if you have used 3D modeling software before. I've been using Ultimaker Cura for taking the 3D model to the printer format. There are some good forums that explain the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Tevo tornado. Its a china special printer that seems to get pretty good reviews. It has 300x300x400mm print bed size. Lots of options out there. Creality CR10s also seems to be a good option around the same price range.
    https://www.banggood.com/TEVO-Tornad..._warehouse=USA
    ^^ This is where I got mine from. I would suggest watching youtube reviews and such until you find what your looking for.

I use a program called cura and fusion 360. Lots of cool free stuff you can design yourself as well as print stuff already made. I made a NACA duct and toothbrush holder recently all from other peoples work they share lol. I designed and made the wing covers myself was a good intro to design and planing for me . I plan to share them once I have a final version done.
    Last edited by redfogo; 08-04-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Biggest problem is that I don't know what I'm looking for yet. 300x300x400 seems like a great size. Maybe I should just commit to the idea that I'm certainly going to buy a second printer when I DO figure out what I'm looking for, which will happen sometime AFTER I just buy a printer!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's gunna be hard to find anything larger without spending 1k+ on the low end based on what I found.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm leaning towards one of the 250^3 for under $200. Looks like a lot of people have good results printing larger pieces in sections, and then I won't feel bad spending more on a better printer when I figure out what I really need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well..... Its been a long while moving and starting stage rally has taken away some time. But over last 3 months or so I have been hard at work doing body work... endless custom body work lol. I posted on the 818 FB page and I know a few people were asking if I would update my build thread. Soooo Here we go!

1st I got tired of messing with the panel gap on the rear end of my 818c the top fitment with the fenders and the bumper were just all sort of gap city and I just wasn't happy. I felt I had good luck with my bwalker fender and top front end fix so and after talking with other 818 owners I said what the hell lets make this a one piece rear end. I would not recommend this to anyone who dose not have the guts to fail. Its been a lot of trial and error but I'm getting pretty dang close to a quality finish. I still have a few baby hills to get over though.

1st The gaps I pushed and pulled and adjusted for hours, months years and my gap was always uneven and thickkkkkk.
    20200408_213855.jpg

At this point you can see I tried to fill in the rear but it was to uneven I just wasn't happy so I made some changes and see lets make it all one....

20200408_213936.jpg

Here is me filling in everything its pretty much a sandwich You add filler just like bwalker made it and then you add fiber glass on top to make it all nice and strong I only put about one layer of fiber glass weave so the build up wasn't to much on the outside of the body.
    20200409_214626.jpg

20200410_120809.jpg

20200410_175639.jpg

After a lot of sanding you should have a good finish
    20200410_170846.jpg

20200410_170838.jpg
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-06-2020 at 10:51 PM.

18. Likes DSR-3, Flamshackle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With only having one layer on top you will need to buffer and strengthen everything from the inside you can add a good amount of layers. Since its on the inside it can be more ugly and have more layers since A no one will see it and B already plenty of exposed fiberglass on the inside of the panels so pretty much a win win. I plan to paint the inside with truck bed liner or something to make it all black and clean looking.

So we made the outside one but uhhhhhh how are you going to remove a transmission or engine or other stuff that need the body off? Well... I said I was making the rear all one not the car all one .... So onto the next step THE CUT!!! So I looked at a lotus and looked at F40s and rally Group B cars and just looked for ideas on where to make a cut. I found that the best spot was on the side skirt under the door you can see the black line in this picture under the door.

Attachment 131299

Attachment 131300

^^^ I am still looking for how to make the line look decent and fit in a nice way I am open to ideas but I already made the cut so I am committed!!

After I made my cuts it was time to take the top off and see how that would work haha. So in the past I had a hoist for the top. I moved and added a new set up so I got an electric hoist this time. I also had to cut up the bottom so that the top would lift straight up thankfully you can cut the bottom of the skirts so they clear the coolant lines and the body and still have enough lip on the bottom. My plan is to use the FFR carbon fiber rocker panel extensions to connect the rockers and frame together as one. Post those pics late.

Here is an image of the top off. Honestly I found this just as easy/hard as removing the top by itself. Really was no different. Only difference was I had to remove my exhaust and the spoiler mount before i took the top off. Its all one piece items so for me it was pretty easy to remove everything.

20200620_113341.jpg

Here is the inside of the top you can see the filler and fiberglass I placed inside.

20200706_210005.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-06-2020 at 11:38 PM.

20. Likes Canadian818, AZPete, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last you can see the cut where the skirt comes off. Like I said up top I am working to find the best way to hide or integrate this line. Still looking at different ideas.

20200620_153245.jpg

We will see what happens, tops back on as of tonight and everything seems to fit great and it is easy to take on and off! Just need to decide the final way I want to hide or show the gap
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-06-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's nice stuff, you can lift everything pretty fast and work around easily, with clearance.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Last you can see the cut where the skirt comes off. Like I said up top I am working to find the best way to hide or integrate this line. Still looking at different ideas.
    what about a removable carbon fiber side skirt/rocker extension panel that covers the side, and then an oem style door sil panel that would hide the top?

20200408_212647.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm afraid the door sill panel might prevent the door from closing, the clearance at the bottom of the door panel where it starts to curve back up is really really really tight. But maybe one could get lucky and be able to fit the sill super flush and the door would barely follow through over. I had to trim my fiberglass door panel in order to make it close, cuz I wasn't able to lift it up or angle it upwards more without bigger undesirable effects elsewhere. But it could work! Would be nice if it could.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567