FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1965 Shelby GT 350 R Model replica

Post Thanks / Like

1965 Shelby GT 350 R Model replica

IMG_0414.jpgIMG_0451.jpgIMG_0456.jpgIMG_0424.jpg

In 2003 I built a Factory Five Mark II and used the car for 6 years before selling it.
    I used the sales proceeds to build a replica of a 1969 MGC GTS Sebring Factory race car
    which I have used at track days, time trials and hill climbs for the past five years.

Earlier this year, I purchased a 1965 Shelby GT 350 which had been built in 1985 as a track
    car by a paraplegic in New Hampshire. The car had a stitch welded frame, complete
    roll cage and zero rust. However, the front end was one piece fiberglass. I have
    replaced the entire front end, added a glass windshield and the R model rear
    window with the opening at the top from Cobra Automotive, which has supplied
    me with most of the proper parts for my build. I had the 289 rebuilt professionally
    at Reid Automotive in Witman Ma and the engine dynoed at 380HP with 360 torque
    which should perform quite well on the track with a 2600 pound car.

When I purchased the car last March, I discovered that the car had about 200 pounds
    of hydraulic pumps and air tanks for the hand controls that operated the steering,
    brakes and the accelerator from the owners chest area. Before I did anything to convert
    the car to a GT350 R Model, I removed all of the handicaped gear and pulled the
    engine and automatic transmission. The owner claimed that the engine was a stroked
    289 with 500HP, but it was determined to be a fairly stock 289 when Reid Automotive
    disassembled it for the major rebuild. The engine is now a 289 HI PO balanced and
    ported with a Holley 750 double pumper carb, aluminum flywheel, competition clutch,
    and a Tremec 600 TKO close ratio transmission, Cobra Automotive racing driveshaft,
    Wilwood six piston front 12" brakes, Total Control front suspension, and Maier race springs
    in the rear. I installed a new Fuel cell and an electric fuel pump to boost the fuel to the
    racing manual fuel pump on the engine. I also installed an FIA approved fire suppression
    system. The custom stainless 3" side pipe exhaust has high performance flowmaster PRO mufflers
    for Lime Rock, and I also purchased a 3.5" NASCAR Boom Tube exhaust for Watkins Glen
    where there are no sound restrictions.

I expect to race the car at Watkins Glen several times next year, also at Lime Rock, Mosport,
    Palmer Motorsport Park, and possibly VIR.
    Last edited by Sandy Washburn; 11-28-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look forward to seeing pics of your progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I have built many and restored quite a few originals. One of me favorites.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon

Nice to hear from you. The five link you supplied for my MGC build five years ago has been the perfect rear suspension for my race car and has performed flawlessly.

The 65 350GT ha always been a favorite of mine since I saw them race in the 60s at Sebring and Lime Rock. Other than the roll cage and the 289 special engine build on my 350GT,
    I am doing all of the work on my R Model replica myself with the help of my son in a race car preparation garage that we co-own. I decided to go with the Maier rear springs and Bilstein shocks in the rear suspension, but your five link would have been the ideal choice if we could have figured out how to install it in the Mustang.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would install much the same was as the MGC. The upper link would tie into the main hoop of the roll bar.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up