Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero Decibel Motorsports Steering Rack Mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Can they be used on the driver side, or do you need a completely flat 1 piece spacer?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Can they be used on the driver side, or do you need a completely flat 1 piece spacer?
    So looks like I have to raise the driver side by 1/4" or so, I'm not sure the spacers you sent provide enough support as I need to raise the driver side which means I need full support underneath, I will try the spacers to see if they fix the problem if they do then I think the flat 1 piece would be the proper fix.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you get me dimensions of the hole spacing? ? I no longer have a spare 02 rack on hand. The cnc is pretty busy during the week but I come in on weekends now and run a bunch of protoype parts all at once.

Edit: I think the actual bolt to bolt spacing is the same. I can measure my rack and make one based off of that.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 02-26-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take one too, even if I miss the group buy. I'm in no rush, and can wait for hinge, bell crank and spacer to be shipped together if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you get me dimensions of the hole spacing? ? I no longer have a spare 02 rack on hand. The cnc is pretty busy during the week but I come in on weekends now and run a bunch of protoype parts all at once.

Edit: I think the actual bolt to bolt spacing is the same. I can measure my rack and make one based off of that.
    So I measured today, your bracket is 1.27" tall the drivers side FFR spacer is 1.10", if the FFR frame brackets are welded equally then I either need a bracket mount that 1.10" tall or a spacer for the drivers side that is .17" tall. Getting a spacer in the drivers side may be a pain as it's close already, I will try some washers today to see if that is going to work
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I see the 1.27" dimension, where are you getting the 1.10" dimension from? I one I got from FFR is 1.68" tall, though the upper height is a bit irrelevant as the FFR bracket doesn't attach to the upper clamp. I think that mounting surface to rack center is a more important dimension. The first bracket I made copied that dimension and was too tall. I made the new ones (the ones you have) .125" shorter to get my rack even left to right. I actually had two of the FFR brackets, but neither one would fit around my steering rack.

If you need one that is .17 shorter I can face one off here and send it to you. Worst case I machine a new one.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I see the 1.27" dimension, where are you getting the 1.10" dimension from? I one I got from FFR is 1.68" tall, though the upper height is a bit irrelevant as the FFR bracket doesn't attach to the upper clamp. I think that mounting surface to rack center is a more important dimension. The first bracket I made copied that dimension and was too tall. I made the new ones (the ones you have) .125" shorter to get my rack even left to right. I actually had two of the FFR brackets, but neither one would fit around my steering rack.

If you need one that is .17 shorter I can face one off here and send it to you. Worst case I machine a new one.
    The FFR spacer that I got for the drivers side is 1.10" tall, and works perfect as the bushing is not squished and there is no space from rack to frame. Your mount is 1.27 which puts my rack at a angle, the stock FFR spacer is 1.12 for the passenger side which is acceptable, the only part I did not like is that the rack is resting on metal not on the bushing

The passenger side can't be shimmed up as it will hit the frame, so the only fix would be to have a different height mount, I certainly don't want you to go through the expense of creating another mount. So I put back the original mount.

The left is your mount, the right is the stock mount

WP_20160223_17_52_04_Pro.jpg WP_20160227_16_13_59_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll make you another one Tony. I can make anything I want at work, just can't sell it for profit. I have a ton of aluminum so all it will cost for me is time.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I analyzed just decking an existing one down to 1.12 and it still has a very good factor of safety. I'm already stopping by the post office so I'll drop this off too.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I analyzed just decking an existing one down to 1.12 and it still has a very good factor of safety. I'm already stopping by the post office so I'll drop this off too.
    What do I owe you as I did not intend this to be a one off project ? I really appreciate the service that you give to your customers, I wish others were like you as you are one of the best to deal with !
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    What do I owe you as I did not intend this to be a one off project ? I really appreciate the service that you give to your customers, I wish others were like you as you are one of the best to deal with !
    Nothing. Didn't take that long anyways. I look at it from the opposite end of it's not a one off, I sold a part that didn't work. Sure, you're not paying labor to install it, but your time is a limited resource. You could have installed something else and not fussed with this three times and bought additional bushings and clamps to make it fit.

It's kind of hidden on the "how to order" but in my return policy I have this

"Don’t you hate it when you buy a part that touts its life changing and sandwich making capabilities only to find out that the “professional installation recommended” tag line really means “yeah, this part isn’t ever going to fit unless you’re capable of redesigning it and remaking it from scratch”?

I do.

One thing I try to do is not to be the thing I dislike. "

I dislike it when people sell parts that aren't even close and then put their hands up to say "not my problem" or when they sell used parts that are junk (like craigslist saying "minor damage" and the car was rolled). Making sure parts fit should be part of the job, part of making sure your name stays clean, should be the norm, not the exception.

Edit: I also wouldn't make something one off and expect someone to pay for it without first getting a go ahead.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 02-29-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig, tanks much for making this right, I installed (hopefully for the last time) the new mount and all looks great (as they both measure the same distance now). The old mount and spacers are being shipped back to you tomorrow.

WP_20160305_10_42_06_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Craig, Did you get my payment for one of these? I am almost to the reassembly phase that I need it. Thanks, Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I did. I have it ready. Plan to ship out all outstanding orders this weekend.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12