BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternate Ford motor…?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Alternate Ford motor…?!?

Immediate thought, especially after reading about the future use of the Ford Ecoboost engine in the 818C; "What if someone managed to cram the Voodoo engine from the forthcoming Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R into the 818C?"

That would make for a very interesting vehicle! 500+ horsepower & 400+ torque in a package weighing about one ton…?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly doubt a v8 dohc will fit. You MIGHT be able to fit a pushrod v8 small block. But likely not unless you stretch the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's already a handful to handle with a boosted EJ motor at times. No real need for anything really over 300 at the wheels for this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the 3.5l V6 Honda engine, cheap 300hp at the wheels with a little work, not sure dimensions though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Canadian Frank's thread on his VR powered 818. That's a lot of power and he's fit the large engine in there with some modification to the frame

Post Thanks / Like
    This is more like what I would want for an 818R or C

http://thekneeslider.com/hayabusa-v8-engine/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HCP 65 COUPE View Post
    This is more like what I would want for an 818R or C

http://thekneeslider.com/hayabusa-v8-engine/
    IMO this motor linked above is the PERFECT match for the 818. there is a company that converts a BRZ gear box to work with it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    IMO this motor linked above is the PERFECT match for the 818. there is a company that converts a BRZ gear box to work with it.
    Even better news is it only costs $43,500 USD for 400hp!
    (23,000 GBP for engine, 4,000 GBP for ECU, and 1,600 GBP for dash)

The 800 hp twin turbo version is only another $7000 too
    http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/ind...nes/h1-v8-busa
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 12-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never said it was cheap and I think the knee slider site is not the same company as the Hole shot version. I think Hartley
    here http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm developed the first one and the knee slider post is a European company.

How many people would be interested in a small displacement v8 for there 818? I have a friend with a crazy head for a 2L 4 banger that could build a B.A. 3-4L N.A. v8 that would be under 250lbs and would make over 500hp below 11k, mate that to a STI 6 speed with a hydraulic paddle shift kit and man would it be a killer track day car. I have all the equipment needed to do 95% of the work except crank and cam grinding and would be willing to start an Engine program if I saw some interest in it. We both have been discussing this very thing for a couple years now. I know we could build the engines for way less than 45k.
    Last edited by HCP 65 COUPE; 12-18-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My modified 1969 Saab Sonett V4 would fit, no problem... 1.5L, tons of mods, only 130 HP with Webber 2BBL carb It's 1/2 a 289 Ford V8 ... it fits the requirements! LOL
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    A flat plane V4 would be a cool setup, anybody know why the big company's have never really put any development into a V4. It has some advantages where packaging is a concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the new 2.7L V6 EcoBoost might be a better fit? It's shorter than the 2.3L, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the topic of ridiculous engine choices the GM High Feature V6 family looks promising. The new twin turbo LF3/LF4 makes some big numbers along with the LFX, and I think they weigh 370# as installed too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a video on the ecoboost in an 818.
    Bob

https://www.facebook.com/PowerNation..._video&theater
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that is TALL. Fine for a coupe but obviously needs a new engine cover for the roadster. Thx for posting the link Bob, I had not seen it before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't look like your typical weekend swap, got a coupe top coming but im sticking with the tried and true EJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Doesn't look like your typical weekend swap, got a coupe top coming but im sticking with the tried and true EJ
    I would jump to a 2.3 ecoboost in a heartbeat if I were doing this all again
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbee View Post
    On the topic of ridiculous engine choices the GM High Feature V6 family looks promising. The new twin turbo LF3/LF4 makes some big numbers along with the LFX, and I think they weigh 370# as installed too.
    After learning a 3.5 Ecoboost would be too difficult does anyone have any input on a lfx? I've seen a few mention it and im very curious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealSavage View Post
    After learning a 3.5 Ecoboost would be too difficult does anyone have any input on a lfx? I've seen a few mention it and im very curious!
    During the last 5 year of owning 2 Subaru and an 818 I have become very familiar with the the Subaru power plant. This past week I got to experience a GM HFv6 in the form of a timing chain failure. My opinion is that the HF really stands for HUGE FRUSTRATION. What a PITA to work on. I will never buy another car with this engine in it.

This is the pile of partss to just get off the timing cover.

parts.jpg

That being said, the HFv6 is significantly taller and longer than the EJ25 engine.

hf.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-13-2019 at 01:42 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply! That pile looks frightening lol it is noted, stay away from GM V6s!