Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adjusting Tie Rods For Alignment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjusting Tie Rods For Alignment

We now have the steering rack installed and did a rough alignment based on the initial control arm length specs and eyeballing that the wheels were straight. I'm sure it's way off but I'm sure that's to be expected at this point.

I have 2 questions related to when we do the final alignment. I realize this will be when we are much further along but I want to address anything that we should here while everything is so accessible.

1. Right now, the driver and passenger tie rod ends aren't screwed on the same amount. The driver side appears to be threaded approximately an inch further than the passenger side. Is this likely due to just not adjusting the control arms identically? Is it just normal?

2. Assuming we need to adjust the tie rods as part of the final alignment, it doesn't appear that the inner tie rod is intended/able to be turned so I'm guessing we will need to disconnect the outer tie rod ends from the spindles when we need to adjust. Is that correct? I believe it is a pain to do that. If so, is the best way to bang on the spindle (not the stud) with a BFH where the tie rod end is connected? Any other advice?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    1. The two tie rod ends should be very nearly the same location on each side. Sounds like you didn't center the steering rack before doing your rough alignment. One inch off isn't good.

2. The inner tie rods are intended to be adjustable without removing the tie rod ends from the spindle. You do not have to disconnect the tie rod ends. First loosen the jamb nut on the tie rod end. In most cases there are flats or some type of knurl on the inner tie rod ends where you can grab them and turn. Adjust as necessary, and tighten the jamb nut. It's really that easy. The one issue is sometimes the inner tie rod doesn't want to turn in the boot. You don't want to be twisting the boot. Squirt a little lube in there if necessary.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb,

For 1, I was thinking that was a possibility. We just assumed it was centered but it may not be.

For 2, I thought the same thing but I tried to do that and I tried turning them with vise grips and it didn't want to budge at all. To be honest, I was a little afraid of breaking it so maybe it needed more force. Here is what my rack/tie rods look like. Is it possible that they changed to having non-turnable inner tie rods? Has anyone done it with this same rack? Notice that there is no knurling or any flats do really grab.

2015_122721_3612_654.jpg