Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818C Brakes & Suspension

Post Thanks / Like

818C Brakes & Suspension

Hey guys,

I am in the process of buying an 818C using a 2007 WRX donor, and, as a relative novice, have run into a few questions as I complete the purchase order.
    First, I have a question about the brakes offered by Factory Five. I plan to use the 818C as a daily driver car, and I want to make sure I’m not over paying for brakes but also want good performance. Any thoughts on this from folks that have purchased the FFR brakes, third-party brakes, or used the donor car brakes?
    Second, Factory Five also offers Koni Adjustable shocks. However, I do not see a use for these as the car will never or very rarely see the track. Can anyone advise me on reasonable shocks that provide a good trade off between performance and cost?

Thanks,

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, regarding brakes many of us are happy with the donor brakes. Subaru designed the brakes to stop a MUCH heavier car so you'll find the brakes work very well. Some guys have opted for upgraded pads but my 818S stops very quickly with new WRX pads., once bedded in. For shocks, the regular Koni shocks that come with the kit are fine for street use. The guys on this forum who race are most likely to upgrade to the double-adjustable Konis.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the R shocks and S springs on my order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbolduc33 View Post
    Second, Factory Five also offers Koni Adjustable shocks. However, I do not see a use for these as the car will never or very rarely see the track. Can anyone advise me on reasonable shocks that provide a good trade off between performance and cost?
    Hi Joe,
    I looks like you would like to select your own shocks.
    As far as I know you have a choice of Red (double???) -adjustable Konis' or yellow single-adjustable Konis'.
    "NONE" is not an option.

This is a post I made yesterday on the brakes.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post223033

I used the powerstop reman calipiers.

P1050696s.jpg

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-05-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Use the 07 WRX 4/2pot calipers from your donor they look good and stop good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, you have 3 choices of shocks w/o a HUGE undertaking... Yellow and Red Koni, either S or R shocks from FFR, I think they are still offered as a choice with no $ impact, the double adjustables are very expensive FFR option and would most likely still be cheaper than developing your own as shocks are weight, applications, orientation and physical fit dependant. No other car shares even a basic geometry match with an 818

for street use the yellows are most likely your best bet and they are rebuildable. The R shocks are valved for higher spring rates and can be mounted upside down for lower unsprung weight but they are not rebuildable.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joe,
    Brakes and suspension as others have noted have as many variables as engine, turbo, ECU and g/box variations. I Have my RHD road legal and drivable for about 6 months and Ive now traveled about 4000km. I did very soon after compliance upgrade my brake system - but I opted for OEM components. As Ive outlined in my build thread - I used 4 pot WRX callipers on the rear, with Legacy GT 2 pot callipers on the front. To enable the 4 pots to fit to the rear Ive used Brembo sized (316mm) rear rotors - these have the same 180mm e-brake centre parts. I also have full Subaru ABS system (switched) and no brake bias anywhere. Ive ended with near 50:50 front to rear rake bias - someone more mathematical than I calculated i should have 2-3% rear bias - close to 50:50 however. As many other OEM mid/rear engine super/sports cars - often have 50:50 brake bias, was the logic I started with. End result is a car that handles like its on railway tracks (standard S konis and S springs), accelerates like a rocket and stops equally as well.