BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18"s MK4 Build Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a busy man the last few days. I did all my brake lines as well as my fuel pump, filter and line to the front. I am waiting on my front brakes from FFR so cannot finish the brakes just yet. I dropped in the engine. Way easier than the coupe, IMO. Lots of room for A/C and everything else. I am not going to remote mount the O/F. I see no need for that, IMO. I am going to use Breeze Automotive front battery mount as well as their upper and lower radiator mounts as well. I also got a rad shroud from them via Mike Everson. Working on the 2-post lift is so much easier for this old guy, LOL.

IMG_0524.JPGIMG_0525.JPGIMG_0526.JPGIMG_0527.JPG

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/
    http://replicaparts.com/
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-18-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last 2 days I was able to run my wiring harness, finish up the trunk aluminum and mount the battery and radiator. I really like the Breeze battery kit as well as their radiator mounts and top coolant pipe. Really nice stuff, IMO. I decided to mount the battery in the center instead of the pass. side. I am also going to use the FFR lower hose setup to the rad. vs the Breeze lower tube. I try my best to use FFR vendors in all my builds. I also am using Ron Francis fan control relays . They seem to work well for me when I am using an A/C system. Mounted the rad at 51 degrees using my HF angle gauge. I hope some B/O stuff starts coming in. I would like to go-cart in 7-10 days.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/

IMG_0528.JPGIMG_0529.JPGIMG_0530.JPGIMG_0531.JPGIMG_0532.JPGIMG_0533.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0536.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-18-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can wait to see it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see it

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom:

Did you do the ceramic coating on the footbox panels yourself? If so, what did you use, and is it something you've used in the past with good results? Thanks.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Tom:

Did you do the ceramic coating on the footbox panels yourself? If so, what did you use, and is it something you've used in the past with good results? Thanks.

Carlos
    Yes. It is Lizard skin. 1st you have to apply the sound coating then the ceramic coating on top of that after allowing the first coat to dry for 24 hours. In the past I just used a roller. This time I bought the special sprayer for it. The finish is slightly better with the gun but not really worth the added expense IMO. I have used this on all my builds with great results, IMO. I have not ever had heat problems in my cockpit from engine or exhaust heat using this stuff on the outside and Eastwood thermocoustic on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the info.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the last few days doing engine wiring, fuel lines to carb, throttle linkage, throttle cable, A/C evaporator install as well as A/C drain lines. I really like this A/C from NRC's. Fits very nicely. I am making my own drain lines with aluminum tubing and my own Evap. mounts as well. I also put some edge guard for the wiring to the dash where it passes through the firewall. Here is a few pics.

IMG_0538.JPGIMG_0539.JPGIMG_0540.JPGIMG_0541.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0543.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0545.JPG

http://www.northracecars.com/
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-30-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you build so fast, have you picked a paint color yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HappiestDays View Post
    Since you build so fast, have you picked a paint color yet?
    Some sort of metallic blue with metallic silver stripes. I will get with Huegenics to pick out the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent most of today finishing up all the A/C hoses. Also wired up the drier switch as well. I made my own brackets for the condenser and lines to it. I painted the condenser and mounts aluminum silver. I started on my dash making it removable. Lots of work to do there for sure.

IMG_0550.JPGIMG_0549.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0547.JPGIMG_0546.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-25-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom.....its Mac. Just stopping in to follow this build. You make it look so easy!!! I will stop by and bring your book back and check out your progress at some point if you don't mind.

I'm sure it's going to be an amazing build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aso544 View Post
    Tom.....its Mac. Just stopping in to follow this build. You make it look so easy!!! I will stop by and bring your book back and check out your progress at some point if you don't mind.

I'm sure it's going to be an amazing build
    Sure thing. Just remember to call or email when you are coming by so I can be sure to be here.

Post Thanks / Like
    On Saturday and some today I worked on the dash area. I mocked up the center console, A/C vents, A/C controls, Heater cable, Ignition switch and various dash stuff. I am using Mike Everson's Replicaparts lower dash trim as well as steering column cover. Look up his vendor site he has some great stuff! I trimmed out the trim piece to fit my A/C install and painted it with black wrinkle paint. I the mocked up the dash and welded up the removable steering wheel adapter from Breeze Automotive. I then covered it with Marine grade black vinyl. I am also using Ron Francis turn signal switches. ( Nice units IMO, they light up so no need for indicator lights.) I mounted my dash with 5 screws into brackets and 7 screws to the lower dash trim part. This will allow for removal anytime without taking off body.

IMG_0551.JPGIMG_0552.JPGIMG_0553.JPGIMG_0554.JPGIMG_0556.JPGIMG_0557.JPGIMG_0558.JPGIMG_0559.JPGIMG_0560.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    What color ya gonna go with? Stripes or none?
    Last edited by Aso544; 02-28-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What color ya gonna go with? Stripes or none?
    Some sort of metallic blue with silver stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly did wiring of the dash and console. I have everything wired and working except the missing head light switch. (hint, hint FFR) I did install some sound deadening and thermal barriers. I used Eastwoods new X-Mat in the foot boxes and thermocoustic every where else mostly. I did mount my seats and used a slider on the drivers side so my Lovely wife Marsha can drive it easier. Cut 2 of 4 speaker holes and had music come out of radio. Sorta running out of stuff due to PLO stuff not here yet. I put an email to Courtnie, I hope she can do some magic, LOL.

IMG_0561.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0563.JPGIMG_0564.JPGIMG_0562.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Always like this Superformance Indigo Blue and Titanium color combo....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mac. Very nice, very close to what I am going to do. Maybe a little brighter silver.

Today I mounted my roll bars and finish up the console, radio and speakers. Also finished up my air cleaner. It is fully customizable and really allows some freedom on mounting.

IMG_0571.JPGIMG_0570.JPGIMG_0569.JPGIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0567.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    What's your thoughts on the height and thickness of FFR roll bar? I've always felt it was slightly too high and too thin. Everything looking good .... You are really flying on this build !!

Post Thanks / Like
    What's your thoughts on the height and thickness of FFR roll bar? I've always felt it was slightly too high and too thin. Everything looking good .... You are really flying on this build !!
    I am fine with them as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I made up a panel that encloses my speakers and gives me a solid back to the upper trunk area. I also made some side panels for the upper trunk area as well. I will carpet the entire trunk later on. I installed Mike Everson's http://replicaparts.com/ trunk lid kit. Very nice stuff and very easy to install. I did a little tidy up work on fuel lines and such as well. I am waiting on some POL stuff coming next week to keep going.

IMG_0573.JPGIMG_0574.JPGIMG_0575.JPGIMG_0576.JPGIMG_0577.JPGIMG_0578.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi any news on the 818E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Hi any news on the 818E
    No news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about the peint

Post Thanks / Like
    Friday I finished up my drivers foot box, fixed the fuel sender and got the chassis ready to mount the body. Then I got my body off the top of my 4-post lift and knocked off the high spots on the body seams. On Saturday morning I had Dave, Bernie, Marsha and I put the body on the chassis. It went super easy. Very easy to line it up and get it square. I cut out my hood and mocked up the scoop. Then I gapped the hood. Here is how I do it. I basically use Eric Hanson's method. I lay down the hood on the car and use 3/16" tape to mark my gap to the body on the hood. Then I take a black magic market and trace around the tape. This leaves a mark to use my belt sander to gap the hood. When the red is gone up to the marker it is right. Very easy and quick. I then mounted the hood brackets and such. I need to fix those some how they are a little to loose for my taste as the manual says as far as assembly. This kit is by far much easier than the 33, 818 or type 65 IMO.

IMG_0579.JPGIMG_0580.JPGIMG_0582.JPGIMG_0583.JPGIMG_0584.JPGIMG_0585.JPGIMG_0586.JPGIMG_0587.JPGIMG_0588.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the hood latches, Mounted the windshield, Mounted and gapped the trunk lid, mounted all the rear lights and wired them up and tested them. On the windshield I had to open up the holes FFR cut some more. I used the covers as a template to show how much wiggle room I had. I also had to shorten the passenger side arm of the windshield about 1.5". It was hitting the foot box. I took my Breeze Automotive quiet pipes to get ceramic coated Permachrome by Performance Coatings in Jonesboro GA. on Monday. I got good news most of my B/O stuff except for the steering rack, shifter and drive shaft should be here on Thursday. I hope the rest is not far behind.

IMG_0589.JPGIMG_0590.JPGIMG_0591.JPGIMG_0592.JPGIMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPGIMG_0595.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-09-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace,

Looking good and thank you for posting the detail on how you gapped the hood. I am finishing up getting ready to go cart and will start doing the body work after that is completed.

Did you also trim the wheel openings?

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    Wallace,

Looking good and thank you for posting the detail on how you gapped the hood. I am finishing up getting ready to go cart and will start doing the body work after that is completed.

Did you also trim the wheel openings?

Carl
    Not yet. I am waiting on my wheels still and steering rack. Once I have all that on it I will look into if I have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the doors and gapped them. Had a lot of extra activity's and could only get 2 hours on car today.

IMG_0600.JPGIMG_0601.JPGIMG_0602.JPGIMG_0603.JPGIMG_0604.JPGIMG_0605.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work... and you work fast...
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace,

Did you have to do any trimming on the doors or was it done by adjustments at the body and the hinge?

I plan to get the body on for the first time either Sunday or Monday to start the process of cleaning it up to run gelcoat this summer.

Thanks

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    Wallace,

Did you have to do any trimming on the doors or was it done by adjustments at the body and the hinge?

I plan to get the body on for the first time either Sunday or Monday to start the process of cleaning it up to run gelcoat this summer.

Thanks

Carl
    All of that. I had to trim them to even get them in the hole first. Then I mounted to hinges and adjusted them. Then I marked for my gap and sanded down to get my gaps. Also had to cut some out for striker as well. Most times you end up installing and removing various parts several times to get fit correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are flying on this build !!!! I've seen Tom's builds in person and his quality and attention to detail is top notch. No doubt this Mrk 4 will be a sight to see when completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last Thursday evening Some of my B/O stuff came FedEx from FFR. On Friday morning I had the tires mounted and balanced on the 17" rims. Nitto NT555 G2's. I was judging a car show all weekend so finally got to work on it some today. The calipers came so I was able to finish up the brakes. I had Marsha help me bleed them. I mounted the headlights and front turn signals and wired/tested them. I temp. mounted the driver's seat also. Still need steering rack, drive shaft and shifter. I hope to get them soon.

IMG_0606.JPGIMG_0607.JPGIMG_0611.JPGIMG_0609.JPGIMG_0610.JPGIMG_0613.JPGIMG_0615.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted the front and rear bumpers as well as the side mirrors. I changed things up on the rear bumper mounting. I was not fond of dropping my gas tank every time to get the body off. I used all thread the correct length for the rear bumper. I then threaded it to the uprights, locked them in place with a lock nut. Then just put the whole assembly on the car and now only have 4 shouldered lock nuts to remove the bumper and take off the body in the back for paint and anything else. I have some pics of what I did. One shows the thread on the inside where the nut will go.

IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0617.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0620.JPGIMG_0621.JPGIMG_0622.JPGIMG_0623.JPGIMG_0625.JPGIMG_0626.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mocked up the fender splash panels. I also made extra ones in the rear wheel wells towards the front. There is a large gap to the interior there. Same as my Type 65 Coupe. I made similar panels for it. This way less dirt and debris get in the crevices. I am going to Jonesboro GA to get my side pipes from the ceramic coater tomorrow.

IMG_0628.JPGIMG_0629.JPGIMG_0630.JPGIMG_0631.JPGIMG_0632.JPGIMG_0633.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I mounted my side pipes and installed a carbon canister. I got the can from a local bone yard and installed fresh charcoal. These are the Breeze quiet pipes. I ordered some wedges and spacers from them today to get alignment spot on. http://www.breezeautomotive.com/

IMG_0648.JPGIMG_0649.JPGIMG_0634.JPGIMG_0636.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I also install Mike Everson's front radiator aluminum after I modify it to fit with my A/C . http://replicaparts.com/ I also made a piece to fix the gap at the top of the radiator to the body.

I also modified the center caps so they stay in place on the wheel using 8/32 screws. I did not like how the center caps flopped around. I also wondered about trying to get the spinners off if corrosion set in. I think this as well as anti-seize fixes the problem IMO.

IMG_0639.JPGIMG_0644.JPGIMG_0645.JPGIMG_0641.JPGIMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0646.JPGIMG_0647.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Today I mounted my side pipes and installed a carbon canister. I got the can from a local bone yard and installed fresh charcoal.
    IMG_0648.JPGIMG_0649.JPGIMG_0634.JPGIMG_0636.JPG
    TW
    What car was that charcoal canister from, I like the design
    BTW going to BG this year?
    Dale Berry

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast