Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How 2001 Mustang Cobra Donor Ignition and Key are installed in MK IV?

Post Thanks / Like

How 2001 Mustang Cobra Donor Ignition and Key are installed in MK IV?

I am still confused as to how I install the ignition from the donor 2001 Mustang Cobra including the way the key mounts in the MK IV dash. I know that the complete kit includes a wire harness and ignition key. I want the finished product to look like the complete kit install. I have attached an illustration that shows what I believe needs to be done in broad terms. The question is how?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do not flash out pats the cluster and the igntion key module must stay intact and be from the same running car. Plug the ring that goes around the igntion switch into the harnes, I believe it is a green plg about 1/2 inch wide and maybe 3/8ths thick. place the ring that goes around the ignition switch around the switch, just as it would be in the mustang install the key in the igniton switch. Tape it all together and put it behind the dash. The electrical portion of the ignition switch is not needed, you can cut those wires and wire the FFR igniton swotch to those wires.
    Last edited by FFinisher; 01-13-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    It is possible, but will take some 'figuring' on your end to splice the FFR supplied wiring harness (for the chassis) with your donor's wiring harness. Another option is to get a good tuner and 'delete' the PATS system from the programming. This allows you lose the cluster and the PATS module; making more space behind the dash.

We bought a model year specific, ford tech manual and wiring diagrams for our 2003 donor. They can be found on ebay for around $100 a set; and they are worth every penny. Sometimes, these are called EVTM's: electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manuals. They give you the precise drawings on the wiring harness, down to what each 'pin' does for each connector in the harness.

Now, 99 to 04 mustangs will need both the donor's instrument cluster and the PATS module / ignition cylinder to work. The ECM will shutdown both the fuel pump circuit and the starter motor circuit without good signals from both unless PATS is disabled.

Anyways, the FFR supplied harness will have two wires, marked COIL and CRANK, that you will use to power items in the donor's harness to make the car start and run. The CRANK wire will need to connect to the donor 'ignition cylinder' wire #33 (powering the starter relay in the power distribution box). The COIL wire will need to connect to the donor's ignition cylinder wires #16 (powering the Constant Control Relay Module), #1040 (powering the ABS module, Traction Control, and Speed Control - if using these features) and #297 (powering the General Electrical Module (GEM)). The COIL wire is powered when the key is in the RUN position. The CRANK is powered when key is in the START position.

The Ford wiring manual will also help you find the donor's outputs to run your aftermarket gauges. And, the FFR supplied harness and ignition cylinder will power all of the accessories (lights, radio, etc) when the key is in ACCESSORY position.

Clear as mud...

I guess this is why most guys hate wiring and why the FFR manual has limited text on how to do this. There are a lot of variables depending on your donor and the options you will bring over from it.
    Last edited by ryanmac; 01-13-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent my 98 Cobra wiring to Art Cuestra (Wirediet.com) to diet my wiring and flash my computer to avoid this headache. I also bought the Ron Francis chassis harness with my base kit. This dramatically simplifies the wiring for the car although I have not reached this stage in my build yet.