Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MKIII #5369 "Refresh" Thread - A bat spit shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I love the lights in the roll bar. I have been considering doing exactly that, but couldn't figure out how to access that area to install the lights or how in the world you would hold the lights in place. How did you do it? I also wonder how to get all the holes drilled perfectly straight and round. I am actually thinking of doing this on the Breeze traditional roll bars, not on a single bar like you have. I guess this means the holes would be drilled in an arch pattern, but it doesn't make it any easier.
    The holes are made on a mill using an end mill bit. That is how the holes are made round vs triangular in shape as you get when using a drill bit.

The single width roll bar holes are milled in a straight line just as with the full width bars, not in an arch. The 1-3/4" bars are done the same way.

We would prefer not to share the manner in which the lights are held in place or the way in which they are installed. We worked a long time perfecting this and prefer not to give away all of our secrets.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 08-18-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome Frank. How'd you do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I love the lights in the roll bar. I have been considering doing exactly that, but couldn't figure out how to access that area to install the lights or how in the world you would hold the lights in place. How did you do it? I also wonder how to get all the holes drilled perfectly straight and round. I am actually thinking of doing this on the Breeze traditional roll bars, not on a single bar like you have. I guess this means the holes would be drilled in an arch pattern, but it doesn't make it any easier!! Great work, David!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    .../We would prefer not to share the manner in which the lights are held in place or the way in which they are installed. We worked a long time perfecting this and prefer not to give away all of our secrets.
    I'm sorry Kevin, I guess my hands are tied on this one. Frank made the bar and we have this informal agreement not to divulge 3rd light info. It's his technique and if he doesn't want to share I'm going to honor that. If you get in touch with Frank maybe he could mill the holes for you and you could work out a deal for a light?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My phone is still on the fritz so no pics again today, sorry.

I finished polishing the block off plate last night and engine turned it. Came out great. I ran into a comedy of errors finishing it though.

First I tried applying sharkhide and the piece wasn't glued down so as I dragged the sharkhide-soaked cloth across the piece it kept moving, making it impossible to get a clean swipe. Getting a single, clean swipe with this stuff is imperative because it starts setting up immediately. Each successive swipe is guaranteed to leave more and more streaking. So I aborted to application, cleaned the piece with acetone and started over, gluing the piece down first. One clean swipe. Done.

Wait...

I forgot to bend the piece first! Well, I let it set for 20 minutes and then bent the piece. Unfortunately (as I'm sure you've already guessed by now) the bending marred the finish. Break out the acetone again...

The 3rd time was the charm. Once the sharkhide set up I placed it in the hole, marked and drilled the holes and riveted the piece in. Done (whew)

While the piece was setting up each time from applying the sharkhide I worked on making a grill for the oil cooler opening. No drama here; I just cut to size (opening size + ~5/8" each side), made relief cuts in each corner, and bent the grill to shape over the opening by hand. Once I had shape I wanted I applied a liberal amount of silicone and now the grill is done too.

The list further amended...:

• I still haven't come up with something I like for a trans cover.
    • The seats need some repair but I'm going to look for another upholstery shop to do the work.
    • New tires and alignment.
    • Fix water and oil temp gauges.
    • Figure out trunk prop solution.
    • Make hinged trunk floor storage box cover.
    • Carpet trunk floor over storage box with cutaway for cover
    • Get reversed image made for cubby.
    • Re-polish cubby floor stupid carpet guy ruined with carpet glue.
    • Cut carpet for glove box floor that the stupid carpet guy forgot to make.
    • Buy and install hidden rollbar downtube connectors from Tangent.
    • Detail car and take glamour pics.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My cell phone drama continues; new parts arrive today and hopefully I'll have a working cell phone sometime this weekend. Yes, I'm fixing my phone rather than getting a new one. I found a place online (ifixit.com) that sells cell phone parts so rather than shelling out big $$$ for a new phone I'm taking the cheap way out and doing the repairs myself. Gee, I wonder where I got the confidence to tackle stuff like that?!?

Anyway, back to the build (no pics obviously... )

I wiped a few items off the list yesterday by cutting and installing the glove box carpet and re-polishing the cubby floor. Easter egg restored! I also was messing around and I found several new spots to add easter eggs to. I'm keeping them a secret so folks can find them on their own! I might tell you how many there are, but not now. I'm going to have some graphics made up and after they are installed I'll report back how many I put in. BTW they won't be garish and you will only be able to see them at specific angles so you will somewhat have to hunt for them. Part of the fun!

Status List:

• The seats need some repair but I'm going to look for another upholstery shop to do the work.
    • Make hinged trunk floor storage box cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got my phone parts on Friday and my awesome son replaced the screen and charge port so I'm back with pics!

This weekend was mostly spent making as cover for my trunk box. It has 2 piano hinges and folds up accordion style so you have full access to the storage box.

Check it out:

I also traced every wire of my water and oil temp gauges and they all tone out so I'll be calling Speedhut this AM to see what they recommend. (If you remeber, I had all the gauges sent back for "upgrades".)

The list gets smaller...

Getting closer...

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Very nice looking ... I just finished my bifold door for the trunk compartment but it looks no where anything as nice as yours.

Did you treat the polished aluminum with SharkHide?
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    David,

Very nice looking ... I just finished my bifold door for the trunk compartment but it looks no where anything as nice as yours.

Did you treat the polished aluminum with SharkHide?
    Yes, I did.

The cover was a little tricky to make, in that I was pretty much guessing where to make the split, and I didn't take into account the piano hinge offset. For a first cut though I think it came out really good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The past 2 days have been spent in coordination with Speedhut trying to diagnose why my water and oil temp gauges are not working.

The lines all tone out (have continuity)
    The gauge lights work
    The sender wires have 4.85 volts between leads
    If I short (connect) the two leads, the gauge needle pins at 100%

All of this is expected.

I'll be testing the sensors today by bringing the engine up to temp and then testing the resistanc between the wires. At 180 degrees the oil should show 125 ohms and at 220 it should show 71.
    For the water I should be showing 180 ohms at 190 degrees.

I can't help but feel something else is out of whack. How could 2 sensor go south at the same time? I HAS to be something else I've overlooked...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    The past 2 days have been spent in coordination with Speedhut trying to diagnose why my water and oil temp gauges are not working.

The lines all tone out (have continuity)
    The gauge lights work
    The sender wires have 4.85 volts between leads
    If I short (connect) the two leads, the gauge needle pins at 100%

All of this is expected.

I'll be testing the sensors today by bringing the engine up to temp and then testing the resistanc between the wires. At 180 degrees the oil should show 125 ohms and at 220 it should show 71.
    For the water I should be showing 180 ohms at 190 degrees.

I can't help but feel something else is out of whack. How could 2 sensor go south at the same time? I HAS to be something else I've overlooked...

Do the gauges have power and ground? The gauge lights are on a separate circuit and will operate independently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    Do the gauges have power and ground? The gauge lights are on a separate circuit and will operate independently.
    Yes. the gauges have power and ground. I toned all the wires...

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the gauges sweep the dial when you start the car? If they don't the red wire is probably not getting 12V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grluisi150 View Post
    Do the gauges sweep the dial when you start the car? If they don't the red wire is probably not getting 12V.
    They do not sweep. I'll double check the voltage. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably a long shot ... could it be a bad connector? I have tested a molex type connector with a meter and continuity was good but when I connected it to the instrument input I had nothing on the gage. It turned out the male pin was not mating up with the female pin, the pin slipped out of the plastic housing after making the connection or I had installed the wrong pins (like 2 males instead of a male and female. This is a long shot but ... If the 12V is confirmed I am not sure what else it could be.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And now, back to the latest episode of "As the impedance falls"...

If you all recall, I earlier sent all my gauges back to SpeedHut due to a lighting issue I had. While they were there Speedhut rebuilt ALL of the gauges...

I was told by them this week that the impedance from the sensors starts moving the needle around 200 ohms and should top out (reach full running temp) ~ 170 ohms. I took a reading at operating temperature and the results were illuminating. The water fan kicked on at 830 and when the fan stopped the impedance was 860! I tested the oil temp sensor 2 minutes after stopping the engine and it was at 890!

Obviously the sensors no longer match the gauges (probably changed the impedance level when they rebuilt the gauges). I did NOT receive new sensors when I got the gauges back. I'll call them on Monday to confirm and get new sensors ordered.

I believe I've solved the riddle of the non-responsive gauges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave-

I never even thought of the sensors matching the hauges. I just figured they would simply match what they took out.

Well, glad that mystery is solved. That could have driven you crazy!

Not much left now; she looks great! I look forward to trying to find your easter eggs.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    The polishing work is amazing. I was considering doing the same for the engine compartment aluminum. I have have never done it before, how difficult is it to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well guess what folks? You take enough guesses and dig deep enough and every once in a while the improbable conclusion is right.

After some initial disbelief from Tech support, I do indeed - correct that, I DID indeed - have extremely early gauges (2006 vintage )from speedhut with sensors of different impedance. The sensors pictured below were what convinced them. So I have to buy 2 new sensors which by the way do not have pigtails. So now my sensor harness wires are short. Which means I have to splice in two new harness end caps that will plug directly into the sensors because they don't make those sensors with pigtails anymore.

Here are the original sensors I have currently:

Here's what they sell now:

On the bright side, I have the newest tech in the gauges now. It cost me $200 to do the upgrade. ALL the gauges were rebuilt with new circuitry (obviously). The speedo isn't reverse reading anymore, but the integrated fuel level gauge is nice to have, instead of a very small and hard to read LED bar. Plus this GPS is accurate from the get go whereas the old gauge GPS had to be calibrated manually. If the new sensors ever go bad, they make replacements. And finally, the new speedo has a ton of fun stuff like recording 0-to-60, 1/4 mile time, programmable low fuel warning light, and some other features that escape me at the moment.

I'm ordering the new sensors today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A few cuts here...

And some connectors and shrink wrap...

Put the original harness sheath back on...

And soon you can't even tell there was a fix. Do you see the new sensor?

Here's the oil temp sensor fixed...

And installed.

End Result? Working gauges!!

The list gets smaller...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got my custom plate arrival notification! All I gotta do is bring my registration and current plates to the DMV and they will exchange them for the custom plates. Waiting in line at the DMV is NEVER fun but rather than wait almost a full month for an appointment I think I'll get it done this week.

Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!
    So for your part in advertising FFR, do they pay the additional cost for your personal plates?
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me know if you want to get to the front of the line at the DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Let me know if you want to get to the front of the line at the DMV.
    Duh, yeah! But it has to be 19th st Costa Mesa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SO for today's update I want to show you this:

Mostly because it's cool. Also, I cut out a new oil cooler grill, coated it with sharkhide this time, and installed it. But mostly, I just wanted to post this cool shot.

Also, guess what? I went to the DMV today and picked THIS up!!:

Woop WOOP!!

I'm going to notch it and then mount it today. CAN'T WAIT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The louvers are mounted. I used silicone to secure them because if I had used the post/HSRF method they would not be able to mount flush with the body. The tabs mounted previously were flush with the edge of the louver. They came out perfect and feel sturdy when I tested them:

And, Finally, the new licence plate mounted. Remember, this is a MKIV trunk so license plate space is less than optimal. As I did previously with the old plate, I cut a small half moon into the plate instead of cutting the light. I then put some foam behind it so that the plate would stand off the body. Of course, there is curvature in the trunk lid so in order to get the plate to "sit down" against the trunk lid I applied a little english to the plate so that it follows the shape of the trunk lid.
    Here is the result:

Notched, with foam attached:

Mounted:

Putting the louvers in and setting up the new plate weren't on the list so it remains the same:

• Buy and install hidden rollbar downtube connectors from Tangent. (I might delete this and just drill the bars)

Post Thanks / Like
    David looks great as always. Love the plate and even your trimming of it is perfect. Smart move on the foam strip as I noticed that the plate will rub but I am still in gel coat.

That's Guardsman blue right? The pics with the lovers really shows the colour, I like!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    David looks great as always. Love the plate and even your trimming of it is perfect. Smart move on the foam strip as I noticed that the plate will rub but I am still in gel coat.

That's Guardsman blue right? The pics with the lovers really shows the colour, I like!
    Yes, the 'ol classic colors of Guardsman Blue / Wimbleton White.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I can't believe it's been 2 YEARS since I've posted in this thread!

As many of you know I got sidetracked this year after HB when I encountered a wiring issue. That looks to be resolved.

My wife's work is having a family day and the event is car themed so she was asked if I would like to have my roadster on display. Well, 'ol 5369 STILL needed a new trans cover, and I want to FINALLY install my Boig cooling tubes so last weekend I cracked open the shop for the first time in a while and manufactured a new trans cover from .060 aluminum.

Here are some pics:

I still need to make a boot for the e-brake and those seats are looking kinda beat! But other than that, and a piece of carpet I need for the trunk, there are no more "unfinished" areas of the build.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 08-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday I installed the upper and lower Radiator hoses from Boig. The ONLY thing I hate about opening my hood is the upper rad hose. It just looks hokey:

Down below, the lower rad hose was making contact with the tow hook:

I used a clamp from breeze to pin the hose to the bottom of the x-member and was concerned that I'd have to relocate it. Both issues were neatly addressed with the new mandrel-bent hardline. The hose pieces have enough extra length to allow a good amount of adjustment and I was VERY happy when I got the new line lined up with the original clamp holes!:

Up Top, the new upper hose is a really nice piece and cleans up the engine bay nicely:

Boig make high-quality parts! I'd recommend his parts to clean up your engine bay hoses.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 08-26-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a small electrical issue with the oil gauges that I'll try to remedy today.

Then I'm going to do a top-to-bottom detail and declare my roadster OFFICIALLY graduated!! (And Refreshed!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations David. Looking Awesome as always.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Sitting in that “big man modified” car is what got me hooked into this madness. Glad to see it wrapped up.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

I spent the whole weekend cleaning! She's still not perfect. I need to do a good "Bat Spit" polish and I found 2 more clecos on the radiator overflow tank!

I also found this on my lower rad hose:

Told 'ya it was touching!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I spent the last few days cleaning ol' 5369, including the application of a very special polish from Da Bat called BAT SPIT in order to be ready for a little show at my wife's work. And as I was finishing up my daughter came home from school so I asked her to model for me:

So what do you think?

I think I'm done?

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 09-01-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a car in the picture?? (pretty gal!)
    Looks great - the polished and engine-turned aluminum is just awesome - and the way it ties through with the paint stripes!
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm done?

And ...

Your old friend Stork felt there was a phenomenal event occurring in the universe and returned to the forum after some time away. Now I know why!

That beauty that I had the privilege to drive in it's 98% done stage, is finally approaching the market. Not sure if I can afford all your handy work and special touches, but it looks so much cleaner than when I last saw it.

Great job and congrats to whomever ends up with David's MKIII!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bump for someone researching big-guy builds...

PS Thanks Mark!

Post Thanks / Like
    The louvers are mounted. I used silicone to secure them because if I had used the post/HSRF method they would not be able to mount flush with the body. The tabs mounted previously were flush with the edge of the louver. They came out perfect and feel sturdy when I tested them:

And, Finally, the new licence plate mounted. Remember, this is a MKIV trunk so license plate space is less than optimal. As I did previously with the old plate, I cut a small half moon into the plate instead of cutting the light. I then put some foam behind it so that the plate would stand off the body. Of course, there is curvature in the trunk lid so in order to get the plate to "sit down" against the trunk lid I applied a little english to the plate so that it follows the shape of the trunk lid.
    Here is the result:

Notched, with foam attached:

Mounted:

Putting the louvers in and setting up the new plate weren't on the list so it remains the same:

• Buy and install hidden rollbar downtube connectors from Tangent. (I might delete this and just drill the bars)
    I did the exact same thing - notching the plate and used a little of the plastic edge protector used at the seatbelt openings for the half moon edge.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345