Fuel Safe Systems

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 64

Thread: MK4 Coyote with a modern twist

  1. #1
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    MK4 Coyote with a modern twist

    Hello Guys,
    My name is Oliver, I live up north from most of you guys, I’m in the Montreal region. Makes a few years I was looking into these crazy cobra builds. This will be my first FFR build but my second ‘’real big build’’. The first build was a Mini Austin 92 with a custom front and rear subframe. Front FZ1 yamaha engine with RWD. Once that one was done, I was ready to move on for the Cobra MK4.

    Would like to thank every single one that helped me out with all my questions !!! You guys are great help and wouldn't be this nice building this car without you.

    This will not be a typical build to replicate a 100% orignal cobra. I will be adding a few modern twists here and there. Mostly for a Sunday fun car and a few tracks days.

    My head was spinning for a few months for all the options i wanted to put. This will be a non-donor build.
    Her is the FFR list:

    MK4 kit
    - Coyote Engine
    - 2015 IRS
    - Red Wilwood front and rear
    - Koni double adjustable front and rear
    - GPS gauge
    - Oil cooler
    - Lucas wiper
    - 17’’ halibrand FOR SALE

    Ordered every engine parts that was needed from Mike forte. If you guys think to pick up the kit at FFR, swing by Forte’s place. Was pleased to meet him.

    - Coyote engine 2015
    - Tko600
    - AC and PS with a 2.5 steering rack
    - Mid Shift with hyd clutch
    - Torsen 3.73 rear end
    - All the bell and whistle that was needed to complet

    Options
    - Going with 18’’ Forgeline 3 pieces wheels
    - R888 tires 315 and 255
    - Mr Bruce Leman hardtop
    - Cobra Nogaro seats
    - Custom door panels to match the seats
    - FF metal fan shroud and battery
    - Kenwood Bluetooth amp
    - 4’’ and 6’’x9’’ Jl adio speakers
    - Quick release and ford racing steering wheel
    - North racecars AC system
    - Mustang 94 Trunk latch modification
    - Would love to go Keyless, still thinking about it.

    This was my biggest challeng ever



    Like most, had to prep the garage before picking up the cobra. Had the floor done, bougt some real storage and tools. Also added a 4 post lift !!


    Had a blast picking up the kit at the factory, they are really well set-uped !




    Got some fresh rubbers for the mini at the same time. 315 vers 225 R13
    Last edited by Paquette173; 01-30-2016 at 10:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally Home, Many many boxes to put in the basement



    Started by drilling all the holes on the panels, Front suspension, Rear suspension, Got the panels PC






    The same night that i got my parts from mike forte, with a few friends we put the tranny and motor together.


  3. #3
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Modified the quick release that i got from a friend.





    Loaded the goodies on the engine


  4. #4
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Body work started, had to chop the roll bars 1'' 3/16 for the hardtop. Noticed that i got 2 driver side hoops.... Molded the stock plastic hood scoop to mold it to the stock hood.






    There she sits in primer.




  5. #5
    2bking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Garland, Texas
    Posts
    786
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! I like the power steering set up and assume you are going to use the factory AC compressor brackets and belt. I have the coyote with 3.55 gears and think that the 3.27 ratio might be better especially for around town. First gear goes by quick. Keep the pictures coming.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

  6. #6
    On a roll Al_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! You haven't wasted any time! And, it looks great! I agree with King- keep the photos coming.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018: a work in (slow) progress
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

  7. #7
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Looking good! I like the power steering set up and assume you are going to use the factory AC compressor brackets and belt. I have the coyote with 3.55 gears and think that the 3.27 ratio might be better especially for around town. First gear goes by quick. Keep the pictures coming.
    Yes, i'm still waiting for those from Mike. Hope i wont be disapointed in the 3.73, i know those coyote love to rev high.

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Wow! You haven't wasted any time! And, it looks great! I agree with King- keep the photos coming.
    sure will try to !!

  8. #8
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will try to give a update once per week. Work took pretty much all my time last week.


    Got my FF metal drop battery, test fitted it. This will give good room in the trunk


    First time trying to safety wire the 2 piece wilwood brakes. Far from being pretty, but will get the job done.



    assembled the hand brake, will need to get rid of the chrome.


    Throwing some fusor to get better isolation. I hate it when you have hear small rocks hitting the panels.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good man... I like the garage..

    One thing, and i could be wrong, but i think i have read that the engine with the oil filter extension (the piece it screws into) is to big. you have to take it off and put a smaller (no so thick) one on

  10. #10
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awd-turbo View Post
    Looks good man... I like the garage..

    One thing, and i could be wrong, but i think i have read that the engine with the oil filter extension (the piece it screws into) is to big. you have to take it off and put a smaller (no so thick) one on
    Yes, you are right ! I will be putting a oïl cooler, so i should be good.

  11. #11
    2bking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Garland, Texas
    Posts
    786
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paquette173 View Post
    Yes, you are right ! I will be putting a oïl cooler, so I should be good.
    Unless you are going to do some serious track days, you may want to reconsider the oil cooler. I have a Coyote with about 450 miles and put another 100 miles on it today in some nice 70 F weather. I have never seen the oil temperature gauge move except today when for some reason the water temperature hit about 200 F for a few minutes and the oil temperature gauge came off the peg to about 145 F then went back to resting on the peg (140 F) for the remainder of the day. I don't have an oil cooler and what I have read seems to indicate the need for keeping the cooler disabled on the streets so the oil temperature can get to operating temperature. I have an oil cooler mount that I bought when thinking I wanted to mount the cooler. It's free + shipping and looking for a good home.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

  12. #12
    Senior Member KDubU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kennebunk, ME
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool build, love your Mini!
    Kyle

    Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017.

  13. #13
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Unless you are going to do some serious track days, you may want to reconsider the oil cooler. I have a Coyote with about 450 miles and put another 100 miles on it today in some nice 70 F weather. I have never seen the oil temperature gauge move except today when for some reason the water temperature hit about 200 F for a few minutes and the oil temperature gauge came off the peg to about 145 F then went back to resting on the peg (140 F) for the remainder of the day. I don't have an oil cooler and what I have read seems to indicate the need for keeping the cooler disabled on the streets so the oil temperature can get to operating temperature. I have an oil cooler mount that I bought when thinking I wanted to mount the cooler. It's free + shipping and looking for a good home.
    I had so much problems with my mini over heating on track days i didn't want to take the chance. Its very kind of you PM sent.

  14. #14
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Continued to shoot all the Under panels with the Fursor



    Prep the gas tank


    Installed the drop batterie, drop trunk and gas tank


    Build a wall in the trunk to put speakers and the Bluetooth amp. Also added a rear wall to hide everything



  15. #15
    Administrator David Hodgkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Corona del Mar, CA
    Posts
    5,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    7
    Looking good! You're coming along nicely.

    I have a question: Are you going to hinge that rear trunk wall so you can do maintenance on the amp if needed?


    FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)


  16. #16
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Looking good! You're coming along nicely.

    I have a question: Are you going to hinge that rear trunk wall so you can do maintenance on the amp if needed?


    Thanks, i got the insperation from you ! My setup is pretty basic, i will be putting carpet in the trunk. Was thinking only to put 6-8 small black screws, so the acces will still be easy.

  17. #17
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    The engine is finally in with the header. Very tight fit but it's there !!



  18. #18
    Senior Member MPTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8
    Your build is looking outstanding. Great choices. Really like that new '15 IRS and Coyote, just KILLER.

    Btw, that Mini is crazy. The wheels & tires are awesome. (how about a couple more pictures?)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Dave Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Oliver,

    If your budget will allow, consider the Stainless Headers for the Coyote. You will not be disappointed.

    Dave

  20. #20
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Your build is looking outstanding. Great choices. Really like that new '15 IRS and Coyote, just KILLER.

    Btw, that Mini is crazy. The wheels & tires are awesome. (how about a couple more pictures?)
    Thank you ! Will try next week to upload some more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Hi Oliver,

    If your budget will allow, consider the Stainless Headers for the Coyote. You will not be disappointed.

    Dave
    Hey Dave, i allready payed those from FFR. Sucks to shoot some more coin out. What would that give me more ? Better flow ? How much hp can i gain ?

  21. #21
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    The wheels are in, Pretty nice !!


    Ripped the intake so i can work on the AC systeme.



    All the big aluminum panels are in place *tu* man it takes long to install that





    The headers are so close to the foot boxes, this isolation is realy needed.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    She's looking great. You are really flying through the build, as others have said.

    Keep up the good work!

    Regards,

    Steve

  23. #23
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Your build is looking outstanding. Great choices. Really like that new '15 IRS and Coyote, just KILLER.

    Btw, that Mini is crazy. The wheels & tires are awesome. (how about a couple more pictures?)
    thanks !!

    Heres some more... I changed the tires and wheels setup, i had 175 50 R13 and now 225 45 R13 so i had to redo the rear fenders.




    Freshly done

  24. #24
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not moving to fast, got blocked with missing parts. i'm waiting for a tranny mount and headers to put the body back on to do the last test fit.

    The under of the body got fussor on all four corners and the rest with gravel guard.


    The moroso oil pan went in like a glove, makes all the diference for ground clearance.



    BTW Its a roller !!

  25. #25
    Senior Member johngeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    878
    Post Thanks / Like
    I highly suggest you use these headers.. they are phenomenal, flow great, and have O2 bungs in the collector!
    http://www.fortesparts.com/exhaust-h...-coyote-engine

    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

  26. #26
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johngeorge View Post
    I highly suggest you use these headers.. they are phenomenal, flow great, and have O2 bungs in the collector!
    http://www.fortesparts.com/exhaust-h...-coyote-engine

    They are allready on order thank you !! hehe

  27. #27
    Senior Member Dave Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oliver,

    You won't be disappointed. They install easier than the FFR...Look better (even though they are hard to see on the finished car)...They flow better. My 2012 Coyote with those headers and Gas-N side pipes and the Vector intake tube with K&N filter (and a slight tuning adjustment on the ignition and valve timing came in just under 490HP on the dyno.

  28. #28
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Oliver,

    You won't be disappointed. They install easier than the FFR...Look better (even though they are hard to see on the finished car)...They flow better. My 2012 Coyote with those headers and Gas-N side pipes and the Vector intake tube with K&N filter (and a slight tuning adjustment on the ignition and valve timing came in just under 490HP on the dyno.
    Wow 490whp thats alot !! Was that on a mustang dyno ? I have the stock ffr side pipes, hope that there not that bad on the highway

    I will be running
    Boss 302 intake
    Those headers
    Sct x4
    Got a afe intake but not sure if it will fit.
    Will be doing a custom tune.

  29. #29
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    i found the time to install headers and boss 302 intake. Call my crazy but i will be fitting the ECU under the 302 intake, the heat shield is ordered.


    rear brakes are installed with the safety wire.

    Cobra seats are in, they are truly amazing !! I called alot of shops in USA and in the UK. Perry in laval got the best price, good service also. thanks guys

  30. #30
    2bking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Garland, Texas
    Posts
    786
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking headers and the seats look comfortable.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

  31. #31
    Senior Member Dave Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mustang dyno yes. Now that was with the stock intake. Like you, I also installed the BOSS 302 intake beccause I liked the look. The downfall is the loss of some torque at lower RPM range. For me, the look was worth it since there is tons of power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  32. #32
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Nice looking headers and the seats look comfortable.
    Can't wait to try out long trips

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Mustang dyno yes. Now that was with the stock intake. Like you, I also installed the BOSS 302 intake beccause I liked the look. The downfall is the loss of some torque at lower RPM range. For me, the look was worth it since there is tons of power.
    That is mighty impresive!! I took the boss 302 intake since i needed to remove the stock intake with the valves for my ac system. Sure does look nice and the extra high rpm hp will be good for the track.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cobra seats are in, they are truly amazing !! I called alot of shops in USA and in the UK. Perry in laval got the best price, good service also. thanks guys
    Can you give more information on the seats? Make, model, measurements, etc. Thanks.

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Can you give more information on the seats? Make, model, measurements, etc. Thanks.
    Seriously great looking seats! I think we all need to know more!!

    Regards,

    Steve

  35. #35
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres some more info on the seats. The standered are black, mine were a custom order. They cost alot but they will be the master piece of the inside of the car

    http://www.cobraseats.com/nogaro.asp

  36. #36
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got my heat shield for the ECU tapped it under. Hope the ECU wont get to hot. The good news its not stuck on the engine, theres some room for air flow.



    Had some left overs for under of the intake :bigup:


    Think I will be looking in these kind of miroirs.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, you weren't kidding about the price of those seats. They do look sharp though!!

    The mirrors look good; painting them body color?

    I like the hardtop in the last picture too. Any idea of the source?

    Keep up the good work, and keep posting. I have been enjoying all the updates!

    Regards,

    Steve

  38. #38
    Member Paquette173's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to dig more and more thosw mirroirs. Looks good body match. Not sure were to buy them?

    I ordered a top from Bruce, same as the one in the picture... Waiting for it since months....

    Thanks, did alot of wire work this week. Takes alot of time

    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Boy, you weren't kidding about the price of those seats. They do look sharp though!!

    The mirrors look good; painting them body color?

    I like the hardtop in the last picture too. Any idea of the source?

    Keep up the good work, and keep posting. I have been enjoying all the updates!

    Regards,

    Steve

  39. #39
    Senior Member Dave Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Oliver,

    I love the innovative thinking for the position of the ECU. And it helps to hide some of the wiring and de-clutter the engine. (Imagine Paul!!!! There ARE simple alternatives if you have an open mind). You can further de-clutter by ditching the PCV hoses and install K&N breathers. Also, with the BOSS 302 intake you can do away with the Vapour Return valve (positioned by the throttle body on the original intake). The electrical connection can be tucked back and taped against the wire loom.
    Great job mon amie.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 04-09-2016 at 04:45 AM.

  40. #40
    ehansen007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Posts
    1,615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cobra build looks amazing. Any video of that Cooper running and driving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Replica Promotions

Visit our community sponsor