BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Static Cling

Post Thanks / Like

Static Cling

Has anyone found a way to stop the static charge on the body after a drive, my car is like a dust magnet. Would a strap to the ground work

Post Thanks / Like
    I experience the same thing - even just sitting at a cruise night, the thing sucks in dust like a magnet. I think it's actually made worse by micro-fiber clothes. No idea of how to fix it - I've heard it's just a characteristic of fiberglass bodies... it causes all sorts of issues during paint, too. Maybe Da Bat has some sugggestions?
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I think micro-fiber towels are the enemy. They seem to draw static/dust ( especially when used 'dry' to wipe the car). Not as bad when used w/spray on wax/polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Friction on the surface induces the static electricity. This friction can be from cloths (microfiber or otherwise) and even air flowing over the body while driving down the road. Needless to say dry towels will create more friction than ones that have been "lubed" with a bit of detail spray. You can kill the static by dousing the body with water. Of course the problem with that is---what's the first thing we do when the car gets wet? We dry it off by rubbing a cloth towel all over it, creating friction and getting the 'glass all charged up to begin the process again!

I've had customers who asked for all black or black stripes. I always tell them that I'll do it but caution them that they will have a dust magnet and it will likely drive them crazy! I've convinced some to go with a metallic black like the Ford Tuxedo Black on this one to help hide/disguise the dust that will reappear in a matter of minutes:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Drive the car dawn 'til dusk, at full pin!
    Hey Jeff, what colours (non-metallic) would show the least dust? Jasl13 (nephew) and I were planning on turquoise at first (his choice), and then he decided Sinister Black (which I was more comfortable with), until now.
    Does a vehicle wrap, like carbon fiber, make it better or worse?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day I had no issues with static cling on my 1968 427 Vett . But that was WAY before micro-fiber towels were even dreamed of... Coincidence ?
    Last edited by Real time recon; 02-24-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The microfiber towels are mostly polyester. Now, I don't remember much about the 70's (I was only a babe ), but I hear those polyester pants caused all sorts of static problems. Out of curiosity has anyone tried the cloth diaper route? I imagine a good thick cotton cloth would be better.

I also wonder if there is a way to engineer a ground strap that drops to the ground when you're parked. Maybe tie it into the parking brake or something. Just thinking out loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    The microfiber towels are mostly polyester. Now, I don't remember much about the 70's (I was only a babe ), but I hear those polyester pants caused all sorts of static problems. Out of curiosity has anyone tried the cloth diaper route? I imagine a good thick cotton cloth would be better.

I also wonder if there is a way to engineer a ground strap that drops to the ground when you're parked. Maybe tie it into the parking brake or something. Just thinking out loud.
    Basically that's all we used in the 60s-70s cloth diaper towels/100% cotton towels/and 100% cotton tee shirts

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same static dust magnet problem when I use one of those California Car Dusters - which I think are cotton.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is the fiberglass. It doesn't matter what you rub it with, static will build up. I had a car once that was terrible about shocking me, and I put one of those ground straps on that drags on the ground and it really helped. That might be worth a try.

You should NEVER wipe your paint with anything dry, microfiber included. No matter how soft the cloth is, the dust and dirt that you are rubbing around is not. Detailing spray provides lubrication for those little particles, so they won't scratch as bad. I won't use a California duster for that very reason. Technically, if you are touching your paint, you are scratching it. Never do it without something that lubricates. Yes, my car is black.....so is my daily driver. I like punishment.

If you need to have a good cry, put some watchmakers magnifying goggles on and look at your paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    i ran into this problem with some plexiglass enclosures at work. The problem is that the finerglass is not conductuve, so when the electrons get on there they dont flow off like they would on a metal car. Ground straps wont help because the electrons dont move around in the fiberglass panel.

I found a product called Statiscide that sprays on like windex. It has something in it to make the surface conductive enough for the charge to dissipate. Not sure if it is safe for paint or not, didnt seem to hurt plexiglass.

Dennis
    Last edited by d_gatorfan; 02-24-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    tmp_12351-20160224_1359181505139171.jpg

I still had a bottle and the safety data sheet showing the ingedients, not sure if those would be sage on paint or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    ...Technically, if you are touching your paint, you are scratching it. Never do it without something that lubricates...
    I rubbed all over mine---dry no less---scratched the heck out of it

Cheers,
    Jeff