Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Finding true center for hood scoop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding true center for hood scoop

What is the best way of locating the true center for hood scoop install and of course preparation of stripes. Before cutting scoop on the Mark 4, I saw a Jeff Kleiner photo showing his car with a marked line running in the center with some"mud work" If I can prepare most of the details for the body shop (IE: lines ,hood scoop location) here it can save headaches. I am in Montreal and hard to find patient body workers here, its all about in and out, not to many old car enthusiasts here. (if any please shout out).

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few things...

I do not use FFR's dimensions for the scoop hole and do not locate the hole from the top. Reason being that I've seen shifting of the inner and outer skins. If you make the hole measured from the top and the inner has shifted the opening will wind up off center in the indentation and look stupid (my opinion ). Instead of measuring off of the top I cut the holes based on the indentation on the bottom and use the dimensions shown here:

This way it will look right when the hood is open and the hole is enough smaller than the scoop so that it allows some wiggle room for centering it on the top---since the opening winds up virtually hidden along the sides by the scoop if it is 1/8-1/4" different side to side no one ever sees it.

I set my centerline by pulling a string from the center of the license plate lamp housing all the way up through the cockpit and to the center of the nose between the headlights. NOTE THAT I DO THIS AFTER THE HOOD AND TRUNK LID ARE FULLY ADJUSTED AND TRIMMED WITH THEIR GAPS SET. Here's one from just a few days ago:

Stand back and eyeball it and make minor adjustments if necessary. If you have two roll bars make sure that you're hitting the center between them. Mk4s are generally pretty close. Once you have the center established you can go ahead and place the scoop.

Good luck!

Jeff

4. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, always words of wisdom,total respect. Unfortunately we are not close otherwise for sure you would be painting mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could tell you how I do it but you will get the same results from Kleiner…..so let's just go with his...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    That's how I did mine … let Jeff do it.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Papa and da bat, yes he would, anyone live in Montreal area good at this?