Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elan NP01 Prototype Spec Racer- Plavan Racing #02

Post Thanks / Like

Elan NP01 Prototype Spec Racer- Plavan Racing #02

Since some of you asked to follow my next car, so I starting this thread in the off topic forum. That way we can keep my old thread from getting cluttered (maybe too late

I sold my 818R after dumping $35k+ into it. It was a wild ride of ups and downs. But enough of that- It's time for the new racecar.

Background of the NP01

Specs:

BODY

Center Single Seat Enclosed Prototype Component Race Car for NASA NP Competition
    Composite Body with Easily Replaced Sections to Reduce Repair Costs
    Opening Prototype Style Doors with Latches,
    Functional Front Splitter
    Adjustable Full Width Rear Wing
    Head, Tail and Rain Lights Windshield Wiper
    Polycarbonate Windshield and Side Windows
    CHASSIS

1018 Steel Tube Frame, Tig Welded with Integral Roll Cage Structure
    Side Intrusion Protection Bars
    Force Attenuation Nose Box Structure
    Fully Adjustable Suspension with MCS Double Adjustable Shocks
    235/40/17 Toyo Proxes RR Tires
    17 x 9 OZ Wheels
    StopTech Forged aluminum 4 Piston Brake Calipers
    HUGE 2-piece rotors with aluminum hats
    11 gal Pyrotect Fuel Cell
    Safecraft 5lb electric Fire suppression system
    DRIVETRAIN

Sealed Mazda 2.0 Liter MZR Engine with Dry Sump (Approx. 185 HP)
    6 Speed Sequential Sadev SL-75 Transaxle
    ACT 8lb steel Flywheel and race clutch disc
    AEM Infinity8 Sealed ECU
    AIM MXL2 Dash
    SPECIFICATIONS

Approx. 1450 Lbs.
    102” Wheelbase
    161.0” Overall Length
    43.9” Max Height
    75.4” Max Width
    155 Max Speed
    INCLUDED ITEMS

The NP01 Component Race Car includes all components necessary to assemble a running, drivable NP01. The only items needed in addition to the original order are safety belts, nets, fluids and fuel. Everything else is included; chassis, body, engine, transaxel, seat, wheels, a set of race tires, all necessary hardware and fasteners, wiring, ECU, all suspension components, etc. (It is highly recommended that assembly be completed by an experience, competent technician familiar with race car design, assembly and operation)

OPTIONS

Cool Suit System
    Endurance Lighting Kit
    Windscreen Demisting Kit
    Helmet Cooling Kit
    Quick Fuel Dry Break Kit
    Alignment Tool Kit

I ordered Chassis #20. There are currently 25+ sold (trending at +1 a week now) and there has not even been an official race yet.

In the interest of time (and a suggestion...errrrr....request from the wife) I'm having Elan build it. She did not want me in the garage again like with the 818R, she must still like me....

Here is my chassis getting some attention when they first started. They are currently building #16, #17, and Mine (#20). #18 and #19 are kits they are shipping out.

It will look like this in the coming days. (Photo from a home builder and his chassis)

I opted for a Aim MXG dash (Huge!), 2 Element Cool Suit system (Helmet and shirt), 2 cockpit blowers, Dry Break fueling, upgraded alternator. I will be installing on my own LED headlights (The new Hella LED specific 90mm units), Flash to pass headlight relay, Radio system, Interior night racing lights, Safecraft Side nets (both sides), Schroth Enduro harness, Drink system, rearview camera and monitor, A light 3M Crystalline tint (to help keep cockpit temps down).

The car will also be wrapped by a local (to Elan) Vehicle Wrap installer (Worked on the Deltawing). Here are the first two designs we are still working on, it is not final. I am making some changes. Car will bare my #02 and some other sponsor decals.

You will also need these types of jacks for this car. The lever jack would of worked perfectly for the 818R also. I just put these jacks together last night.

I'm headed to Elan in a little over a week so they can pour the seat to my body, and give me the tour of the place (and wrench on my car!) They are working hard to get the car done in time for the first NP01 Pacific Series race at Willow Springs mid March. In fact, The owners of the other cars who are being built next to mine Ok'ed the pause of their builds so Elan can get mine out ASAP. The other builds are racing on the East Coast and their series starts much later, so they have time. Big thumbs up to the Owners and Elan. One of the other chassis will be used to mount/fit my body so they can do two things at once! Awesome idea and totally unexpected. I'm very thankful for this.

So stay tuned-
    Last edited by ehansen007; 02-22-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chad,
    I'm curious about what happens if they don't sell enough to do a whole series... will NASA be running those in a group with different classes? Is there another organization like the SCCA where that car would have a class? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Liking the blue.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doowop View Post
    Hey Chad,
    I'm curious about what happens if they don't sell enough to do a whole series... will NASA be running those in a group with different classes? Is there another organization like the SCCA where that car would have a class? Thanks
    You can run them in ST3. Or the Enduro series. There is no "set" class, but the preferred is NP Class. There are 12 sold in CA (one Las Vegas) so I'm not going to have to worry about that for awhile. Some guys are trying to finish building them before the first race.

They have some great contingencies, so I'm confident we will keep getting more cars added after people see them all on the track.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Liking the blue.
    Me too. I just recieved some revisions since I posted those. We are getting really close now.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thread and awesome car, Chad. How does that Jack hit the frame? Anywhere? That looks like it'd rub powder coat off eventually

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad, great to have you staying around the FF forum!
    I think it's a smart move to have the factory build it, for a lot of reasons.

Is Thunderhill your "home" track? Will you be going up there for any test & tune sessions between sanctioned race events? If, so please post your adtes a few weeks in advance. I figured out the other day that it's a shorter tow for me to go to Thunderhill than Pacific Raceways (Seattle), The Ridge (Shelton), or Spokane Raceways. I'd love to pull the race wagon down to Thunderhill and see your ride. I need to start putting in THil time anyway, some friends and I are committed to the THill25 in 2017.

And when you get bored down there you can always come as my guest to a track club day at Oregon Raceway Park.

I have a question about running ST3. When I run the NP01 thru the 2016 NASA calculator I get ST2. Unless the RWD dyno HP is less than 134 HP, I don't see how it could fit in ST3. I'm using 1,700 lbs wet race weight with a driver.
    Subscribed!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    Awesome thread and awesome car, Chad. How does that Jack hit the frame? Anywhere? That looks like it'd rub powder coat off eventually
    Thanks.

Anywhere under the nose on the frame. I'm going to glue a rubber pad on. When I start doing the Enduro races, you can throw air jacks on. Then you don't have to worry.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Chad, great to have you staying around the FF forum!
    I think it's a smart move to have the factory build it, for a lot of reasons.

Is Thunderhill your "home" track? Will you be going up there for any test & tune sessions between sanctioned race events? If, so please post your adtes a few weeks in advance. I figured out the other day that it's a shorter tow for me to go to Thunderhill than Pacific Raceways (Seattle), The Ridge (Shelton), or Spokane Raceways. I'd love to pull the race wagon down to Thunderhill and see your ride. I need to start putting in THil time anyway, some friends and I are committed to the THill25 in 2017.

And when you get bored down there you can always come as my guest to a track club day at Oregon Raceway Park.

I have a question about running ST3. When I run the NP01 thru the 2016 NASA calculator I get ST2. Unless the RWD dyno HP is less than 134 HP, I don't see how it could fit in ST3. I'm using 1,700 lbs wet race weight with a driver.
    Subscribed!
    We are racing at Thunderhill in the summer. Look at the series link above. ST3 will require some weight to get to 1800 pounds. There are some special provisions. That's what NASA is telling us. It's nice they changed the power to weight in ST3. However, like I said earlier, we have a lot of cars in California already. So we are all going to run NP class.

I would consider Buttonwillow my home track. I have only raced TH a handful of times.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 02-13-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Thanks.

Anywhere under the nose on the frame. I'm going to glue a rubber pad on. When I start doing the Enduro races, you can throw air jacks on. Then you don't have to worry.
    This is a cool jack. I was thinking about making/buying something like this for my 818 for suspension adjustments at the track. Thanks for the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the rubber frame pads they use on the BMW E36s pritty cheap online.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hockey Pucks work great. You can get a bag of 12 of them for $19.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    This is a cool jack. I was thinking about making/buying something like this for my 818 for suspension adjustments at the track. Thanks for the idea.
    I bought the lever jack (Rally Touring car model- Higher capacity) and swivel jack from the UK. I ordered from Demon Tweeks (UK) on Feb 10th, it showed up at my house on Feb 12th! $588 total for both jacks and shipping! If you need a HANS, buy it from them.... Hundreds of dollars lower than our price fixed market. It says on their website they cant ship HANS to the USA market, but you can just buy the Schroth branded HANS version. So much cheaper and shipping is not bad at all.

The prices in the US on lever jacks are stupid, and they are hard to find (with less capacity). I'm near the capacity limit (1655 pounds of both jacks combined), if the driver is in the car, but I figured I can beef them up if needed with a little welding. Plus, you just throw big wood blocks under the car whenever you lift them (like jacks stands).

The Front lever jack would of solved all the 818R front lifting woes.

Hockey Pucks! I totally forgot about those. Great Idea Gator. We use to use those years ago on our cheap Harbor Freight jacks when we lifted the rear of a 911 by the motor. We are allowed to install 6 skid plates on the NP01 frame. I can just cut some hockey pucks up and use those also when needed.

Decisions, decisions.... I know I do not want a black roof in a totally enclosed car. So many look good. Audi'ish abstract paint and more.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    That bottom right one looks awesome imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for bottom right.

or go one crazier, run a similar livery to the one Red Bull ran during spring testing last year.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I went with the bottom right without the abstract on the hood and over the roof. It's hard to say it would look right, without seeing it on the 3D body. The best thing of the Wrap, you can add to it later if I want to try it out. But the rest of the design is there.

They start wrapping it Tuesday when I'm back at Elan getting "Fitted" to car. Not much longer now.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    That thing is so awesome. I saw it at SEMA. I can't believe the price differential between that and an 818! I mean, it's obviously a amazing car but I imagine you're going to have over 100K into it when all is said and done. It's got to be insane to drive. Can't wait to see it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For reasons I've outlined HERE I'm closing this thread.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thread re-opened after discussions with FFR.

Moved to new Off topic - Other build threads Forum.

The forum description - at this time - reads as follows:
    "Use this forum to document non-FFR builds. PLEASE NOTE: Thread starter MUST own the item being built, AND must either own a Factory Five currently or be a previous owner/builder of a Factory Five. Sorry, no non-FFR Cobra-type (SPF, BDR for example) builds allowed."

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!

So, Chad- I like the bottom right one the best. The black roof is probably way too hot for CA. Any update on where your Elan is in the process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Elan visit was great. I even got a tour of their "Skunkworks" area..... All I can say is wow. No pictures for obvious reasons. Don't just expect to see the Deltawing as their only racer in the future..... I also saw a complete carbon fiber undertray of the Deltawing (8 feet or more long)..... I lifted it with one hand.... It just came out of their many Autoclaves. The shop was very impressive. Much bigger operation that I would of ever imagined.

Now to my car-

They were fitting my body to another owners chassis to speed up the process of the build. They are trying to get my the car before the first ever NP01 Pacific Spec series race. As of now, the car is completely done awaiting pickup from the auto transport company (which is killing me with the wait).

Now for the pictures.

After they installed the motor and trans (same day):

-Cont
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Beginning of wrap-

Prep before pouring the seat to my body.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    More wrap pictures with decals. I will have some better ones later. They were working on the setup and had body parts off.

I cant wait to peel the new plastic off! haha

My brand new Hella L4060's came in! (4) high beam model LED's. These are brand spanking new. This is one of the many projects I will be tackling in my garage.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I'm glad FFR has re-opened the thread.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    It's on its wheels-

Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chad,
    Are you ready to go for next weekend?
    Keep us informed.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hey Chad,
    Are you ready to go for next weekend?
    Keep us informed.
    Bob
    Car is enroute. Reliable Carriers took their sweet time picking it up. I probably will not have it in time. There are still things I need to do to it. I need to add some ballast, radio, transponder, rear view monitor and camera. Then change some springs, corner balance, and a full nut/bolt check.

I have been a CAD designing fool- I'm adding my own door gas springs, and other few items.
    I'll be able to do more once the car arrives of course.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a NP01 at Sonnma this past weekend for the 1st NASA NorCal event http://headonphotos.net/gallery/NASA.../24/index.html
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    There was a NP01 at Sonnma this past weekend for the 1st NASA NorCal event http://headonphotos.net/gallery/NASA.../24/index.html
    Yep- that is Skip. The other NP01's were at Willow Springs for a NASA race. One of them turned a 1:23 its first time out. It also was the fastest lap of the weekend out of all the cars! Not bad for his first time out. I'm testing this Sat at Buttonwillow for the first time. Excited and scared.
    Thanks- Chad

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Updates man, updates!
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you were/are not scared to go around a racetrack in a brand new car that the bugs have not been worked out, you would not last long. Be safe we want updates and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    he has some track videos on his youtube channel, I just want some feedback on the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcEykmANCB8

Post Thanks / Like
    The left foot braking would definitely be a learning curve, especially under stress.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Updates man, updates!
    Short version- Best, most fun thing I have ever driven. Such a challenge to figure out. That makes it even more fun.

We had our first Points race this weekend at BW. We ran BW CCW#13- My first time running this configuration backwards..... Not great for passing. I qualified on Saturday 3rd behind the pro driver Andy Lee. We had a total of 6 NP01's out there. I finished 4th both days because of lapped traffic. Once you get stuck behind a slower car, you have to plan ahead to use your grip because you can't out drag them on the straights (500hp mustangs vs a 185hp mazda motor is an even drag race). The best part is that another 5 NP01's should be coming soon. The Pro's were 2-3 seconds faster than us amateurs, but they have way more test time, experience. I have only played with the front shock settings (R/C) and rear wing angle. The fast guys gave me some tips, but that stopped once I knocked 4 seconds off my time and was 2 seconds behind them The other 2 seconds will come with seat time and playing with the shock settings. I was 4 seconds faster than the brand new GT4CS Porsche factory racecar. That made me really happy since I was eyeballing those before the NP01, but could not afford the ridiculous price and 2 year contract.

Driving the NP01 is a workout. I'm going to get a slightly bigger wheel, and raise the steering column up a bit. The car is simply amazing for what you get. The tech guys checked our cars after every qual/race. I mean everything. One guy got DQ'd for weight and bumpstops. So NASA is really serious about this class. The minimum weight is 1725 with driver. I was came in at 1756 and then 1770 (cool suit system full) (no ballast). I'm figuring out the fuel burn and adjusting how much gas I put in before the race. If you add ballast (to 1800 lbs), it would be a kick arse ST3 car- and you could run Hoosiers knocking another 3-4 seconds off I'm guessing.

If you watch the WEC with the Audi's, Porsche, Toyota prototypes..... You are really driving one. My arms, neck, lats all are sore. We are pulling over 2.5g's in corners. If the car had 35 more HP, it could win the NASA 25hr for sure. The car is amazing for only putting down 163 HP to the wheels. The sequential trans is crazy fun. Prototype fun, with Miata maintenance.

Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/Plavan-Racing-1659691177614220/
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 04-19-2016 at 07:45 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    The left foot braking would definitely be a learning curve, especially under stress.
    It is- I finally just said F' it and wanted to learn one thing at a time. So I went back to right foot braking. I was faster.... I'll learn the left foot stuff after i'm more comfortable with the car.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a kick *** time. It will be nice to get a couple under your belt and just focus on driving the car vs watching gauges.

Sunday I saw an orange GT3 RS at the gas station. It made me want to kick my 818 build into top gear, then a box of zerodb parts came in the mail on Monday.

It's a sign from heaven... it's going to be a good summer.

I just found out about all the thread drama... interesting.

I feel like a few of us on this forum (maybe more than a few) have been around so long at this point that the relationships transcend the 818. We all started this journey together and will all take different roads but that doesn't change the fact that in 4 years we have developed friendships and some real comradery.

I appreciate you keeping us up to date and wish you all the luck in the world for the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to let us know when you're coming up to NorCal, particularly Thunderhill. It's the same tow for me from Bend to THill as it is to The Ridge, Pacific Raceways, and Spokane, so I plan on hitting THill a few times this year to get ready for the THill25 in 2017.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to let us know when you're coming up to NorCal, particularly Thunderhill. It's the same tow for me from Bend to THill as it is to The Ridge, Pacific Raceways, and Spokane, so I plan on hitting THill a few times this year to get ready for the THill25 in 2017.
    We will be racing the NP01 Series at Thunderhill August 13-14th
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    We will be racing the NP01 Series at Thunderhill August 13-14th
    Thanks, I'll try to be there.
    How do you tie the NPO1 down in your trailer? Do you use wheel straps and have E-Trac running on the floor?
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'll try to be there.
    How do you tie the NPO1 down in your trailer? Do you use wheel straps and have E-Trac running on the floor?
    Neither. Super easy. I use both tow hooks in front, and the rear wing pylon in the rear.
    Thanks- Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast