FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Tilt Front Kit Interest

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 Tilt Front Kit Interest

For those that have followed my build thread you know about my tilt front. I didn't invent it but used a lot of information from others from these forums to refine the application. I have had several inquiries about drawings or help in making the tilt front for their build. There are quite a few fab parts required but none are difficult but a kit of these parts would simplify the process for a lot of builders. The hood hinges and gas struts from the original kit are used in the mechanism and the other parts are unique and would be parts in the Tilt Front Kit. The parts that assemble to the frame are bolt on and no welding is required. The truss used under the body does require welding and is probably the most desired part for the Tilt Front Kit. This truss bolts to the underside of the body using studs fiberglassed to the body.

Perhaps the mechanical components are the easiest part and the fiberglass work is the hardest part. But with a step by step process, that work can be done by someone with a little experience in fiberglassing. But even someone with no experience can accomplish the task if enough information is presented and they have the desire, correct materials, and tools. The fiberglass work is a time consuming process because of cure times and prep work required for the next steps.

I am interested in the number of builders that would want to make a tilt front if a kit was available and a price range that it would support. I'm not interested in producing the parts but the venders reading this may. I welcome the responses and conversation this thread may generate. Perhaps the drawings may have more appeal than the kit parts.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Most definitely! I think its a great idea. Lets hope interest is high.
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    While not on my current build ... any future one would include the tilt for ease of access.

Interested
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Because the few responses, there doesn't seem to be much interest. I'm thinking since I have one builder interested in a set of prototype parts, I might as well build two. Then I would be looking for someone that would be interested in trying to follow a set of instruction for the purpose of refining the process. How about interest in being a beta builder for the feedback of the good and bad?
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    As we have already discussed, my answer would be "YES"!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I am certainly interested, but I am a year out from touching the body. Kit is ready for pickup on April 2, Stewart delivering it at some point thereafter.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see the drawings and concept. If it looks good (well designed), I would be interested. I've always been drawn to that design XKE, C4 Corvettes (I have a 91), and I had a fiberglass one piece flip front end on my 55 Chevy. So I guess I like them. It sure would make the access to the engine bay, radiator, and other places much easier to work.

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I eagerly submit my application as the first beta builder of your kit. I will work with you to refine what is needed, and also help you to write the instruction manual if selected. I look forward to talking to you after April. Here's hoping you will decide to come to Huntington Beach!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    I would like to see the drawings and concept. If it looks good (well designed), I would be interested. I've always been drawn to that design XKE, C4 Corvettes (I have a 91), and I had a fiberglass one piece flip front end on my 55 Chevy. So I guess I like them. It sure would make the access to the engine bay, radiator, and other places much easier to work.

Thanks,

WEK.
    Check out my build thread for a lot of pictures. The front hinges using the FFR hood hinge. Being a four bar linkage, it has a moving hinge point that lifts the front end as it rotates open and allows more clearance between the nose and ground. I think this CAD model illustrates the parts that mount between the frame and body. The trusses mount between the body and hinge. The hinges are mounted to 3/4" sq tubing that attach to the lower 3/4" tube on the frame that runs between the 4" tubes and the front body mounting plate. The anti sway mechanism that limits side to side movement is included in the picture.
    mk4_chassis3.jpg

The gas struts are used as soft stops and to limit the rotation. When it is fully open, the weight of the front will hold it there. Here are a few pictures with the hood open and a view from below with it closed.
    DSCF0072cd.JPG DSCF0074cd.JPG DSCF0064d.JPG

I added a second wall where the front bumper mounts to reinforce the attachment. The bumper is mainly for looks but will withstand a pretty good lick. Any rearward force is transmitted to the frame through the bolt heads mounting the bumper. It won't do well with a side force because the fiberglass will have to absorb it.
    Last edited by 2bking; 03-25-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    It sure would make the access to the engine bay, radiator, and other places much easier to work.
    That it does indeed. I recently adjusted my front alignment and corner weighted the car. That kind of work is significantly faster and easier with the tilt front.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    2bking, that is AWESOME! Just amazes me what people such as yourself can build.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glad I checked out your build thread, I think. About half way thru, I developed a splitting headache, had to take a couple of Tylenols and laid down. Later, I when back to the site and finished. That is a lot of work! I like your self centering hood device. The "Watts link" preventer is very nice. James Watt was quite an inventor. You had a couple of "happy accidents" such as the way your elephant ears mated up with the F panels and the action of the hood. The trusses look very engineer like and I think fit very well with the looks of the Cobra or any other sports/race car. BTW: how did you come up with the final fulcrum origin for the hood? Maybe the CAD lets you work the model once you have the data in place. I had a sail making CAD that let me see the loaded sail with variable wind strengths after I had designed it.

After due deliberation, it will be some time before I am ready for this project. I am working on my engine/computer tuning and redo of the induction and ignition systems. I can't imagine delving into a project like this without clearing the plate of any major work. My interest is still there. Hopefully, by the time it is developed, I will be ready. Also, I'll put in my vote for Kevin (Jazzman) as one of your beta builders. He is a good craftsman and is local to me (completely selfless thought ). I have to see this project in person.

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's been awhile but can you still order a MK4 Tilt Front Kit.