FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing a stuck plug in my dry sump tank - looking for advice

Post Thanks / Like

Removing a stuck plug in my dry sump tank - looking for advice

fitting close up.JPG

The above picture is from the bottom of my dry sump tank. It is the drain plug. It should have never been re-installed in its current condition (neither Chad nor I did it). It is about an in above a cut-out hole drilled through the bottom diffuser on my 818R. Tomorrow, I am going to try to adjust the dry sump tank downward so that the plug is at least flush with the bottom of the car.

Here is what you are looking at. It is a plug that used to have a hex socket in the middle of it (now pretty stripped). The female part is -10AN straight thread (7/8-14). I don't have to get it out right away, but will when I change the oil next. There is about 5 quarts of oil above the plug. To get at this part, I'll need to jack up the back of the car and put it on jack stands, so it is not straightforward. I plan to use a -AN10 plug with an O-ring when this part is out. I'd like to start simple and move toward "nuclear" options as the other fail. Here is what I am thinking...in order of simplicity...I'd like your feedback.

1) Try the hex first and twist it a bit to see if I can coax the plug out
    2) Tap(pound) a torx bit into the hole and see if I can get that to grip.
    3) Use a tap extractor in the existing hole and take out the plug, hoping the tap extractor doesn't break. (and not having to drill the hole all the way through)
    4) Drill the hole round, get a left handed tap and put in a short, left threaded hex head bolt to take out the plug when the bolt bottoms.
    5) Drill two opposed holes at the edge of the plug and use a pin spanner wrench to take out the plug.
    6) Carefully use my dremel tool and a tiny cut off wheel to cut a 3/8 inch square hole in the plug to put the end of a socket extension in to remove the plug.

Any other ideas.

This is a serious issue, but I wanted to have some fun with it. You are all really good at this stuff. I value your input.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    7) Weld in a bolt to extract with a socket.
    8) Drill out and then tap. Use the smaller hole for oil change (The original threads may be messed up and then the plug was torqued to stop the oil leak.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave it alone. Drain the oil by disconnecting the return line from the tank to the DS pan at the DS pan and let it hang down to siphon out 99.9% of the oil from the tank. It will leave a very small amount of the old oil in the tank. Note the inside of this Aviaid tank, it actually siphons from the very bottom of the tank. I think Peterson tanks are the same, but not positive.

110_9in_Dry_Sump_Tank_Cutaway.gif
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Gator. I learned some more today and will leave it alone for now. The good news is the tank is a Peterson Fluid systems tank. The better news is that the fitting is a -6AN port fitting with an O-ring on the inside. So, when I am good and ready, and if I want to, I can change out the plug. I don't have to worry about it being some freaky NPT fitting in the bottom. I looked at some screw extractors today. they are going to work, if I decide to go that way. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    When the time comes and you want to remove and replace try heating up the area around the plug.