Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill & Laura's MK4 build thread.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill & Laura's MK4 build thread.

I had the fortune of meeting Bill and Laura at a Bible study class last year at my church. We became friends and found out Bill had a interest in cars like I do. They had a big block Corvette years ago and Bill still had an itch for a sports car. One time when they were over our home for dinner, we showed them my MK4 under construction. I gave them a FFR catalog and DVD to take home with them. Well that is all it took, LOL. We soon got together for dinner at their home and made a plan for their MK4 build. Bill ordered the kit on the 50% sale on 4/22/16 from Courtnie. I am going to be involved in the build as well as Bill is going to work on it at my shop as well. I have enjoyed seeing the excitement on their faces of this build and the anticipation of getting everything. I am starting their build log and will document it as I do for all my builds here on the forum. Bill and I are going to go get the kit on July 23rd give or take a day. Also picking up an engine trans. combo from Mike Forte and some parts from Mike Everson as well. We are using lots of FFR forum vendors for the build as I try to do each time. All of them will be listed. I really appreciate their help and great parts that enhance the build IMO. Her are some details of the build.

From FFR. http://www.factoryfive.com/

MK4 complete kit, powder coated chassis, 351 headers, 302-351 engine mounts, 31 spline 2015 IRS drive shaft, Body cut outs, leather seats, P/S components, 2015 IRS, GPS gauge set, 17x9/10.5 Halibrands, rear nudge bar, 4 over-riders, wind wings, sun visors, front sway bar kit, rear sway bar kit, Floor mats, Chrome roll bars, 2015 stock brakes, extra side view mirror, drivers seat slider, side louvers, and MK4 soft top.

From Mike Forte. http://www.fortesparts.com/
    427 ford engine, TKO600 transmission and all associated parts for drop in install. As well as Vintage Air front runner system.

From Replicaparts, Mike Everson. http://replicaparts.com/
    Radiator shroud, radiator panel, dash filler panel, windshield trim plates, steering wheel trim plate, seat belt trim plates, trunk lift kit and weather strip kit.

From Breeze Automotive, Mark Reynolds. http://www.breezeautomotive.com/
    Upper radiator hose and tube kit, HD upper radiator hinge kit, Lower radiator support kit, Engine compartment battery kit, Complete front grill set, Cobra shift knob, Lower radiator tube and hose kit and Quiet side pipes.

From Russ's garage, Russ Thompson. http://www.norcal-cobras.com/store/r...uss_garage.htm
    3 pedal set.

From Finish Line Accessories. http://www.**********accessories.com/
    Ceramic heat shields, front grommets and 427 emblems.

North Racecars, Richard. http://www.northracecars.com/
    Roadster A/C package, tunnel mount E-Brake.

Other parts will come from other sources and I will list them as well during the build. Lots of misc. stuff from Summit as well. I really am looking forward to this build as mine should be done in about 3 weeks.
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-10-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see more!
    Alan

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
    - Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be great to follow ... Thanks for starting the new thread!
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a possibility of us going to go get the kit early in July. Mike Forte may have the engine done sooner than the 23rd. Bill is going to try to coordinate FFR and Mike so we can get it around 7/5/16 give or take a few days. Some parts are already here and Bill has paid for everything in full. It will be nice to build with all the parts here at the start for a change. I will keep everyone posted as best I can. Bill is so excited, it is a joy to see. I got him some 427 emblems to put on his desk while he waits for the kit, LOL.

EM-427.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What a terrific plan! I know they will love working with you to build this car; you do great work!

I look forward to following along like I have your other builds.

A great way to celebrate Independence Day is picking up a new MK IV and engine. Grab me an engine while you are there; Mike will never know! ;-o)

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom:

You sure stay busy. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Well we head out early Wednesday morning about 2:00 AM to go get the kit and drive train. We will use Bill's truck and my enclosed trailer. Hope to be at Mike Forte's on Thursday afternoon and FFR Friday morning. We will stop over night at my brother Curt's in State College, PA. I will try to post some during the trip if I can. Wish us safe travels. TW.

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see you again, Tom! Also can't wait to meet Bill! Safe Travels.. See you Friday
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

10. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to my brother Curt's place Wednesday about 6:30 PM. Got woke up by a thunderstorm and left for FFR by 5:30 AM. We got to Mike Forte's about 12:30 and picked up 427, TKO600 and IRS parts. Then got to FFR about 3:30 PM. Met Dave and all the staff. Got Bill the full tour and I took his pic in front of the place. We will load the kit and take more photos in the AM tomorrow. Then head back to my brothers and be back in Florida Saturday night. Always great to meet my friends at FFR and catch up. Some cool stuff in the future in the works.

IMG_0849.JPGIMG_0850.JPGIMG_0851.JPGIMG_0852.JPGIMG_0853.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

That's a very sexy engine! That should put down some nice power for Bill and Laura.

I am sure Bill enjoyed the tour of the Factory. They do a great job showing off their work!

So, are you sworn to secrecy on the future plans, or can you share?

Travel safely, and I look forward to following this build as well!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    sworn to secrecy. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    We loaded up Friday morning and had a packed trailer and truck bed. Thanks to Dave, Courtnie, Nate and all the staff at FFR. We would have liked to stay longer but had to hit the road. We made it to State College by 6PM and had dinner with Curt and a good night sleep. We were on the road by 6AM Saturday and made it home about midnight. Had a few close calls coming home but made it home safe and sound. We are taking today off and will unload and inventory Monday morning. Here is some pics. Bill was all smiles when he saw his MK4 in the flesh.

IMG_0855.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0856.JPGIMG_0858.JPGIMG_0859.JPGIMG_0860.JPGIMG_0862.JPGIMG_0864.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We had a great trip and made very good time. I am excited about inventory on the boxes and getting started on the build. Tom mentioned some exciting moments, one was following Google maps routing. We missed a turn and tried to reroute the trip, here is a picture of the highway through western Maryland we were routed through. Stay on the interstates when you can Following Google maps routes.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we unloaded everything out of the trailer and truck. Did inventory and strip chassis down to bare chassis. Unfortunately a few POL parts and a few missing from the boxes, but that is to be expected. Plenty to do for the next 2 weeks that Bill has vacation. We do take the Lord's day off on Sunday. Here is some pics.

IMG_0865.JPGIMG_0866.JPGIMG_0869.JPGIMG_0870.JPGIMG_0871.JPGIMG_0872.JPGIMG_0873.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill (btc1956),

I updated your profile so you have full access. Congratulations! Looking forward to following your build!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we were able to Mock up the foot boxes, front splash panels, firewall and coat some stuff as well as paint some of the unpainted metal parts black. The foot boxes are done with Lizard skin sound deadner and ceramic heat coating on the outside. Splash shields with truck bed liner. Bill working hard on trunk aluminum.

IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0875.JPGIMG_0876.JPGIMG_0878.JPGIMG_0879.JPGIMG_0880.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

If they are able to match your build pace, they will be driving in gel coat before the summer is out!

I think I need to check out the real estate in your neighborhood, so I can get access to your skills. HA

Great start Bill; keep up the good work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom:

Are you actually powder-coating parts? I ask because you have previously posted that you did not have good results, and that you had given up on it; yet, it seems you're at it. If that's the case, I'm wondering if you're having a much better experience this time around.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Tom:

Are you actually powder-coating parts? I ask because you have previously posted that you did not have good results, and that you had given up on it; yet, it seems you're at it. If that's the case, I'm wondering if you're having a much better experience this time around.

Carlos
    I have powder coated some stuff with better results. What you see in the photo is I used Eastwood rust encapsulater and then chassis paint then baked it on in the oven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we finished up mocking up trunk, interior and firewall aluminum. I also mocked up A/C housing for firewall as well. I coated the trunk and firewall stuff with Lizard Skin like the foot boxes. Note how the sound deadener coating is grey and the ceramic heat coating is black. Lots of drilling and clecos today. Both Bill and I stopped at 3ish so we could take our wife's out for date night for dinner.

IMG_0881.JPGIMG_0882.JPGIMG_0883.JPGIMG_0885.JPGIMG_0886.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

What look is he going for? More original, modern, or a mixture. Any idea what color he will go with?

Mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mac,

It will be a mixture with mostly old look from the outside but with stereo and AC. Since we are going with the IRS we decided to go with the 17” FFR wheels. Don’t know the color yet, considering a grey or light blue color. We are strongly considering the shade of blue the ’66 was available in. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, Laura, or Tom-

What A/C unit did you all choose? Are you also going to run the heat/defrost as well?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as my MK4 the unit from North racecars. A/C, heat and defrost.

http://www.northracecars.com/AirCon.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Same as my MK4 the unit from North racecars. A/C, heat and defrost.

http://www.northracecars.com/AirCon.html
    Thanks Tom, I appreciate the info!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we finished up coating all the aluminum and reinstalled most of it. Bill mounted the front suspension and steering rack. I installed the pedal assembly and helped out where needed. I really like the Russ Thompson pedals. The brake stuff is back ordered as well as a lot of the IRS stuff. We will have to skip around some to stay busy. We are going to take weekends off. I unfortunately had a friend pass away and must go to Orlando for the funeral. We will work some tomorrow. here is a few pics.

IMG_0887.JPGIMG_0888.JPGIMG_0889.JPGIMG_0890.JPGIMG_0891.JPGIMG_0892.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it will be one fine built machine. Tom does amazing work and takes the FFR kit to another level with his attention to detail and ingenuity.

Quote Originally Posted by btc1956 View Post
    Hey Mac,

It will be a mixture with mostly old look from the outside but with stereo and AC. Since we are going with the IRS we decided to go with the 17” FFR wheels. Don’t know the color yet, considering a grey or light blue color. We are strongly considering the shade of blue the ’66 was available in. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Today Bill finished up the passenger foot boxes, Started on the fuel tank and mocked up the trans tunnel cover. A box of POL parts came from FFR and Bill inventoried them as well. I worked on the IRS stuff some as well as the radiator, shroud and top swivel mount. Painted a few more aluminum and metal parts as well. It gets to about 100-104 in the afternoon in the shop. Fans and Gatorade keep us from passing out, LOL. My neighbor is Dr. Cade's daughter the guy who invented the stuff. Taking the weekend off and will get back at it on Monday.

IMG_0897.JPGIMG_0900.JPGIMG_0899.JPGIMG_0895.JPGIMG_0896.JPGIMG_0905.JPGIMG_0904.JPGIMG_0901.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we got a late start. I installed the drivers floor and inner panel. Then installed all the metal brake lines. I also installed the fuel line and pump. Bill mocked up all the rear suspension parts. We drilled out the rear knuckles and differential. Then installed the rear end in the chassis. I painted a few more parts as well.

IMG_0912.JPGIMG_0913.JPGIMG_0914.JPGIMG_0915.JPGIMG_0916.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a good day. Bill installed all the rear suspension parts we have till the POL parts come in. I finished up the brake reservoir can and hoses. I also installed the steering shaft from the rack to the inside of the foot box. We both installed the gas tank and hooked up the lines. I tapped the rear end for the breather hose. Then we installed part of the wiring harness so everything was OK to install the 427 engine and TKO 600 transmission. Then we installed the engine, transmission and drive shaft. The motor mounts gave us fits but I won the War, LOL.

IMG_0918.JPGIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_0922.JPGIMG_0923.JPGIMG_0924.JPGIMG_0925.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 07-26-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today Bill did some caulking and insulated the passenger foot box. He also installed the rear trunk aluminum. I installed the radiator with Breeze upper and lower mounts. Also we used Breeze upper and lower tubes and hoses as well. I also installed the A/C condenser. I made extra brackets and clamps to hold the tubes for the condenser in place better than just tightening them in place. We made a Auto store run for fluids and topped off the engine, transmission and differential. Unfortunately some of the A/C parts are incorrect so Bill will go and get the correct low side straight fitting we are missing. Car is coming along nice though, IMO.

IMG_0930.JPGIMG_0929.JPGIMG_0926.JPGIMG_0927.JPGIMG_0928.JPGIMG_0931.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you've got two weeks in this build and you're not done yet? Slacker. LOL
    For an old guy you move fast. looking good, I need some of your energy.

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You guys are making killer progress! I love following along. Thanks for the build thread guys
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks flynntuna and Courtnie. We try to do are best even though we are old guys, LOL. Today Bill mocked up the seats and drivers slider to the chassis. The he insulated the drivers side of the car. I finished up the A/C, heater and drain hoses. I also mounted the Evap/heater core unit and heater valve. I also installed the throttle cable. Lots of fab work for the hoses and lines so they do not get loose or out of hand down the road.

IMG_0932.JPGIMG_0933.JPGIMG_0936.JPGIMG_0937.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well today was Bill's last day of vacation to work on the MK4. I think I may have worn him out some, LOL. Bill finished up the passenger floor insulation as well as some drivers foot box insulation as well. He remounted the trunk hinges after we painted them. Both of us swapped out the valve covers for these awesome 427 units. I really like how they change the whole look of the engine. It looks so much bigger now. We also swapped out the ignition wires with ceramic end ones from Accel. We then added some nice polished wire looms. I finished up all the various hose clamps to the frame and firewall. I also made a fuel line from the carb to the tank line. I also did a little heat insulation near the passenger side rear header pipe. Mounted the coolant over flow tank as well. I had to modify the air cleaner so it would not hit the A/C housing. We are going to take a week off of the build. I have a wedding in Houston to go to and some 818E work as well.

IMG_0946.JPGIMG_0940.JPGIMG_0942.JPGIMG_0941.JPGIMG_0943.JPGIMG_0947.JPGIMG_0938.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 07-29-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was supposed to be working on the 818E but parts issues struck again. So I was able to install the headers with Kook's gaskets and stage 8 bolts. Also I wired up most of the engine and fuel pump to the main harness. Also installed the clutch cable and clutch optimizer from Forte. Hope to get a few more things done before I leave for Houston for a wedding this weekend.

019.JPG020.JPG023.JPG024.JPG025.JPG026.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Back working on the MK4. Some POL parts came in last Friday while I was out of town. I was able to install the carbon canister for the fuel tank and secure hoses and lines in the tank area. I also installed the P/S return hose that came in. I installed the battery in the front Breeze mount. I have started to mock up the dash. I use aluminum tabs so I can screw the dash in and remove it easy with the body on. Also mounted the North racecars e-Brake handle. Hope to have electrics done this week and maybe fire up the engine.

IMG_0986.JPGIMG_0987.JPGIMG_0988.JPGIMG_0989.JPGIMG_0990.JPGIMG_0991.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    After mowing the lawn I got a few hours in the build. Today I mocked up the dash and lower dash from Replicaparts. I modify it some for a center console. I mounted 4" speakers on each side as well. I also finished up the positive side of the battery to the starter as well. I mounted the H/B and T/S indicator lights. I also installed the heater valve cable. I hope to mock up the center console and radio, A/C vents and controls tomorrow.

IMG_0992.JPGIMG_0993.JPGIMG_0994.JPGIMG_0995.JPGIMG_0996.JPGIMG_0997.JPGIMG_0998.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I worked on the speakers some and the center console stuff. I also finished up the negative side of the battery circuit as well. I have to get with Bill my customer on his choice for A/C vents other than the center ones tomorrow.

IMG_0999.JPGIMG_1000.JPGIMG_1001.JPGIMG_1002.JPGIMG_1003.JPGIMG_1005.JPG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast