Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bill & Laura's MK4 build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom makes it look so easy!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Steve, the look Laura likes is the color they used for the original Eleanor mustang. Tom's Factory Five Daytona was a great looking grey/silver that Chris came up with. We are going to look at the cards he did for Tom and compare to the Eleanor colors. I will post that when we make that final decision. Getting real excited now that it is at the paint shop. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill-

That would be a great color combination. There are a lot of grey's that work well too, so lots of choices for you to consider.

She looks really great! I look forward to seeing her all dressed up. Tom's done a great job.

Regards,

Steve

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I prepped and coated all the aluminum that goes in wheel wells, etc. Bill and Laura decided on the Elenor paint color with black stripes. I will be working on my customers 818E while Bill's car is a Huegenics for paint.

IMG_1155.JPGIMG_1155.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-10-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Are you getting close to completing the car? Hopefully the paint is close to being finished.

MAC

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is at Huegenics for paint work. Trunk lid was warped and FFR sent us a new one. I think it will be late Dec. till car is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by Huegenics to drop off different trunk struts. I was able to get a few pics. Lots of body work on this one for some reason compared to mine. Drivers door has the cut out for more shoulder room done. Passenger side yet to be done. Hood and trunk fit real nice and door areas all cleaned up as well. Still IMO a lot of work before body comes off.

IMG_1301.JPGIMG_1303.JPGIMG_1302.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Went today to Huegenics to take the body off the frame and put it on a body buck for paint. All the gaps are perfect. Lots of work to clean up all the dust and get the chassis ready for the body when done. I am taking my customers 818E chassis up to his home in Atlanta area on Monday so I will have plenty of room for the MK4.

IMG_1326.JPGIMG_1327.JPGIMG_1328.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the last few days cleaning the fiberglass dust off the chassis and everything else. I did make up the sun visors and I did my rear bumper mounting modification. I do not like how the directions have you lower the gas tank to install this rear bumper. I use 7/16" all threads you can just slide it into place and use lock nuts on the chassis. Not tank removal needed.

IMG_1339.JPGIMG_1340.JPGIMG_1341.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up cleaning the underside of the chassis today. I also painted the radiator/condenser black as per our painter and me. LOL.

IMG_1347.JPGIMG_1349.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is looking great Tom. Chris sent a picture of the body on Friday, it had a coat of primer put on yesterday.MK4 ready for primer.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by btc1956 View Post
    It is looking great Tom. Chris sent a picture of the body on Friday, it had a coat of primer put on yesterday.MK4 ready for primer.jpg
    Thanks Bill. I know they had to do a ton of work to make the body right. I sent pictures to FFR. This body took way more work to get right vs mine. Lucky for us Huegenics does such great work. I can't wait to see it all painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drivers door has the cut out for more shoulder room done. Passenger side yet to be done. Hood and trunk fit real nice and door areas all cleaned up as well. Still IMO a lot of work before body comes off.

IMG_1302.JPG[/QUOTE]

Is this a common modification? Have not hear of trimming out the door wider before.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Drivers door has the cut out for more shoulder room done. Passenger side yet to be done. Hood and trunk fit real nice and door areas all cleaned up as well. Still IMO a lot of work before body comes off.

IMG_1302.JPG
    Is this a common modification? Have not hear of trimming out the door wider before.
    -Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve I am not sure how common it is. But I can tell you I will have it done on any MK4 I build. The difference is substantial. With this modification you can drive the car so much more comfortably. Especially if you are wide in the shoulders. Otherwise you would have to drive with your arm on top of the door, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of cool and humid here today in the morning. I replaced the header gaskets with the Remflex ones. very nice stuff. I torqued it all and installed locks. Remflex says no retorque is needed, time will tell. I started on the trunk carpet this afternoon.I will post pics when done. I hope to get all carpet, seats and belts in this week.

IMG_1350.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished up the trunk carpet and started on the interior carpet. Bill those rear speakers sound good. Not sure how much you will listen to radio with the music from that 427 though, LOL.

IMG_1352.JPGIMG_1353.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the carpet in the interior today. Also installed the shifter boot, Knob and E-Brake boot. Check out that cool looking shifter knob! Tomorrow is belts, seats, door checks and replace steering wheel I scratched. That one is on me, ouch!

IMG_1354.JPGIMG_1355.JPGIMG_1356.JPGIMG_1356.JPGIMG_1358.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been busy with changing out my trailer stuff last few days. Today I was able to finish up seats, belts, new steering wheel and install floor mats. Looks pretty good to me. All that is left is door checks and spinners. Should have that done by Tuesday next week. Then it is just waiting on paint to be done around Jan 20th.

IMG_1368.JPGIMG_1367.JPGIMG_1366.JPGIMG_1364.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! This has been fun to follow. Thanks!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Be ready to roll when good weather rolls back in !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I finished up the last 2 things before we put the body back on. I installed the checks straps. Laura did a great job dyeing the straps black. I also finished up the spinners. I documented in my MK4 build this tip, but I felt I needed to do it again. The spinners will just spin inside the wheel as they come. If any corrosion sets in it could be a major deal to get them off down the road. I do a simple fix, IMO. I use a 8-32 drill tap and drill 2 holes about 180 degrees apart in the nut. I then install 2 allen set screws from inside. Then I put it in the wheel and install the lug nut cover and spinner temporarily with some anti-seize on the threads. I then tighten the set screws and now the nut stays put and is perfectly centered. I then remove the spinner and lug nut cover reinstall the wheel and put it all back on. This will make removal down the road much easier, IMO. I know there are several other methods used, but this is mine. I hope it is of some help to other builders. I am going to store the 427 MK4 till the body is painted. I have some body stuff to do on the 818E and have to put the engine back in my MK4 when it arrives on Dec. 27th.

IMG_1372.JPGIMG_1374.JPGIMG_1375.JPGIMG_1376.JPGIMG_1379.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-19-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Change of plans. I decided to put Bill's 427 in my home garage to store and that allowed me to put my MK4 on the 2-post lift for the engine install after Christmas. Bill is coming over on MLK day since he has off and polish up the shiny stuff on the 427 MK4. This way I will not have to move the 818E body off the 4-post lift. We should all have these problems, LOL.

IMG_1383.JPGIMG_1384.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by Huegenics yesterday. First coat of color on Bill's MK4. Stripes and clear coat to follow.

Picture0111171319951[2].jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Got a couple of pictures from Chris today. the stripes are on, should get a picture without the tape today

Painted in the booth including stripe.jpgPainted in the booth taped for stripe.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The painting is complete- let the wet sanding begin!!

Painted.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill just sent this pic to me. Looks killer!

Picture0114171421_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    that's a killer paint job. Really sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow....great color !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom is just about finished! the body is now back on.

Final Assembly underway.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope to finish up the roll bar grommets, side pipes and front lights today. Huegenics still has some touch up work to do. I will bring it to my shop on Monday to install oil cooler, splash shields, soft top and misc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today by noon I finished up the lights, roll bar grommets and side pipes. Huegenics has some final stuff to do. Customers are going to go look at it Saturday morning. Monday morning I will bring it here to my shop to finish up.

IMG_1455.JPGIMG_1456.JPGIMG_1457.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom has done an outstanding job and Chris and Scooter at Huegenics just finished it off. We stopped by yesterday and got a few shots. it is interesting how two different phones can pick-up different colors. In the booth Laura's phone picked up the green to show just how the light can make it look.

Painted- Finished in the booth 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Brought Bill and Laura's MK4 to my shop this morning. I installed the oil cooler and shrouds, splash shields and passenger side outside mirror. I like to install my own splash shield in the front area of the rear tire, I really seals up that area well, IMO. Have trunk to finish up and soft top install then it is off to its owners home on Thursday.

IMG_1459.JPGIMG_1462.JPGIMG_1463.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I finished up the trunk, door panels and installed the soft top mounts. I took it for a 1 mile ride. Wow what a nice ride! My pictures do not due the car justice. It is awesome in person. Hope to deliver it on Thursday afternoon.

IMG_1465.JPGIMG_1466.JPGIMG_1467.JPGIMG_1468.JPGIMG_1469.JPGIMG_1470.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for everything Tom, it looks great. The car is in the garage now so I can start learning how to operate the radio. waiting for an appointment to get the title and tag is not going to be easy. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by btc1956 View Post
    Thanks for everything Tom, it looks great. The car is in the garage now so I can start learning how to operate the radio. waiting for an appointment to get the title and tag is not going to be easy. Bill
    Your welcome Bill and Laura. It was an honor to build your dream car for you as well as fun to have you help build it the first few weeks. I want to thank all the vendors listed in the first post as well as Factory Five Racing and Courtney at FFR for all their help as well. I will be over tonight to show you the soft top and go over the entire car operation. May you both have many fun times and miles in this beautiful MK4. Most of all it is so nice to call you both good friends in Christ as well. TW

Post Thanks / Like
    Went over to Bill and Laura's to go over the car with them tonight. After having a nice meal with them I found out something I would like to pass on to others. If you install the sun visors as in the picture in the FFR directions the soft top will not go on. I did not have my tools with me and I will go over on Saturday morning to flip the brackets on the windshield. They must point down not up as in the picture. I thought I had installed mine backwards on my MK4 when I looked at the directions only to find out mine are correct. Just food for thought. Bill was very nice and did not kill me, LOL. I was very embarrassed though.
    We did do the handing of the keys over and I wanted a picture of both of them in the car. Unfortunately it was a wet day here, so no test drive.
    IMG_1478.JPGIMG_1480.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread to watch......So what next on your build list?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aso544 View Post
    great thread to watch......so what next on your build list?
    gtm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went over to Bill and Laura's to flip the sun visor clips and show them how to install soft top and side windows. They really liked how it all looked after all that work to get them on, LOL. They are going to take it out around their home for their first ride.

IMG_1482.JPGIMG_1483.JPG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast