Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: avcs question

Post Thanks / Like

avcs question

i think i know my answer but before i make work for myself i figured it would be worth asking. I have a 06 single avcs motor. 2.5i intake with outfront fuel rails and the spacers to clear the avcs solenoid. apparently it works with stock injectors but not precision turbo injectors as there 3/4 in longer, no problem made spacers. well the drivers side soleniod goes in but cant be located in the stock orientation with out major work. question is does can it sit in there at about 30deg counterclock wise? also thinking about 1000cc injectors are there stock length ones out there dont want to go thru the hassle to modify something to work if my replacement injectors will. thx Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the exact same motor, intake manifold, spacers, and fuel rails. You can orient the fuel injector any way you want to get things to clear. I used ID1000 injectors which are factory length. They're great injectors. They run slightly less than 1000cc at stock fuel pressure, but since you're likely using a custom fuel pressure regulator you can turn it up a bit to get the expected flow. I've run them on 3 Subarus in a row and they provide very consistent fueling.

Post Thanks / Like
    This intake or one similar?
    12973362_1320724731277969_7145319753144922995_o.jpg
    I am not familiar with the Precision Turbo injectors. Are you saying you have 1.5 inches worth of spacers under the manifold? I would look for other injectors (usually 1000's are plenty) and the clocking is irrelevant.
    I also run Injector Dynamics injectors...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my install.
    Last edited by Aero STI; 05-31-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine almost ready to go in. Boomba rails and I welded in my own mounting plate for them. I did a few other mods and found I could use 1/2" spacer plates.
    12909620_1317623678254741_254299685272835163_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    I have the exact same motor, intake manifold, spacers, and fuel rails. You can orient the fuel injector any way you want to get things to clear. I used ID1000 injectors which are factory length. They're great injectors. They run slightly less than 1000cc at stock fuel pressure, but since you're likely using a custom fuel pressure regulator you can turn it up a bit to get the expected flow. I've run them on 3 Subarus in a row and they provide very consistent fueling.
    my setup is the same as yours is your turbo rotated? nice air intake setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    This intake or one similar?
    12973362_1320724731277969_7145319753144922995_o.jpg
    I am not familiar with the Precision Turbo injectors. Are you saying you have 1.5 inches worth of spacers under the manifold? I would look for other injectors (usually 1000's are plenty) and the clocking is irrelevant.
    I also run Injector Dynamics injectors...
    i was asking about clocking the avcs soleniod not the injectors ill see if i can post a pic tomorrow but ill probably just get the ID1000S anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    my setup is the same as yours is your turbo rotated? nice air intake setup
    Thanks. My whole turbo setup is totally custom. Check out my build thread. It has some more fabrication pics. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...w-s-818S-LYTW8

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't stand being one-upped on this custom intake issue. I have a hood clearance issue on my STi so I was able to use the 13mm spacer from KSTech.
    The earlier AVCS solenoids have a different strap or bracket that hold it in. In my 2008 dual AVCS or "DAVCS" I have solenoids that have a bracket that straddles the solenoid. It seems that earlier AVCS solenoids just come from one side. This will cause an interference with the fuel rail if you use the 13mm spacer. I also used a flat-head screw and countersunk the bracket, so that I would not have a hex-head sticking up above the bracket.
    I think the photos will explain anything that may be confusing.
    A longer runner, NA intake for a normally aspirated engine would benefit the higher RPM range. You need the phenolic spacers to accommodate the AVCS solenoid valves. So, if you are willing to go to the trouble to use a long-runner, NA intake, and want to minimize the spacer thickness, then my approach will be helpful.
    left AVCS big.JPGleft AVCS.JPGright AVCS.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    I can't stand being one-upped on this custom intake issue. I have a hood clearance issue on my STi so I was able to use the 13mm spacer from KSTech.
    The earlier AVCS solenoids have a different strap or bracket that hold it in. In my 2008 dual AVCS or "DAVCS" I have solenoids that have a bracket that straddles the solenoid. It seems that earlier AVCS solenoids just come from one side. This will cause an interference with the fuel rail if you use the 13mm spacer. I also used a flat-head screw and countersunk the bracket, so that I would not have a hex-head sticking up above the bracket.
    I think the photos will explain anything that may be confusing.
    A longer runner, NA intake for a normally aspirated engine would benefit the higher RPM range. You need the phenolic spacers to accommodate the AVCS solenoid valves. So, if you are willing to go to the trouble to use a long-runner, NA intake, and want to minimize the spacer thickness, then my approach will be helpful.
    left AVCS big.JPGleft AVCS.JPGright AVCS.JPG
    ya the bracket on my soleniod is on the inside, I trimmed it down a little to get it to work with my precision injectors untill i get my ID1000s

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently working on this clearance issue with a new build. When you use a long runner NA manifold in the reversed position you face some hood clearance issues in older STi's. In my 2008 I barely got away with it when I ran 13mm spacers and the somewhat skinny Cosworth rails to avoid the solenoid interference issue.
    With this new engine I have eliminated the need for spacers by the use of a Boomba or Perrin style fuel rail or a modified stock rail. Even with the Boomba style fuel rail the bottom fuel port on the right side rail must be relocated to allow room for the oil feed banjo and bolt. With the stock steel rails you must cut and weld on them a bit but the basic rail clears everything. It's just the fuel lines that must be rerouted for a built engine. I'm having to shorten the bracket by about 1/8". I will be adding 6AN stainless steel tubing to the stock lines and/or steel 6AN fittings to the ends where I shorten them.

Just forgot one minor thing! The AVCS solenoid connector, along with the electromagnet housing of the solenoid, must be clocked 20-25 degrees to clear the fuel rail. This isn't as hard as it may seem. It's easiest to Dremel away the metal crimped into the dimple on the base of the valve body but it can be bent out. This allows the body to be rotated or "clocked". It is better to overshoot the angle and bring it back into position with the rebending of the retention bracket rather than not go far enough. The valve has some room for error but it should not be at less than "0" from its original positioning once the bolt is back in. I also modify the aluminum mount (that retains the solenoid) a little by reducing it's height by 5mm and then I use a flat head bolt. All this helps with clearance. I will post some other pictures later. The image with the Cosworth rail is from the previous manifold and engine using the 13mm spacer. As you can see it barely clears the banjo bolt.
    solenoid apart.jpgIMG_3205.JPGIMG_0531.JPG