Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like

power steering pump replacement

In the category of you don't know what you don't know I had an issue with my power steering.
    When I would make the slow speed 90 degree turn into the garage I would get some groaning noises and vibration feedback in the steering wheel. Other than that the PS seemed to work fine when driving. I do have the steering rack limiters from breeze installed and verified I had no sort of tire rub at full wheel deflection. I was concerned I had an issue with the pump. On doing some google research I found complaints of ford pumps being noisy. As I had never had this kind of pump, or driven another Cobra for that matter I did not know what feel I should expect in the car.

I queried FFR on my issue and Courtnie sent me a new PS pump. Changed that out today. Wow what a difference. No more groaning or feedback and also the steering under normal driving is about twice as easy. Since I didn't know what I should feel all my driving prior to this point has been with a semi functional PS system. Hard to know what to expect in this situation. I am guessing my pump was somehow operating at reduced output. Glad to have that squared away and now I can enjoy a fully functioning system!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    In the category of you don't know what you don't know I had an issue with my power steering.
    When I would make the slow speed 90 degree turn into the garage I would get some groaning noises and vibration feedback in the steering wheel. Other than that the PS seemed to work fine when driving. I do have the steering rack limiters from breeze installed and verified I had no sort of tire rub at full wheel deflection. I was concerned I had an issue with the pump. On doing some google research I found complaints of ford pumps being noisy. As I had never had this kind of pump, or driven another Cobra for that matter I did not know what feel I should expect in the car.

I queried FFR on my issue and Courtnie sent me a new PS pump. Changed that out today. Wow what a difference. No more groaning or feedback and also the steering under normal driving is about twice as easy. Since I didn't know what I should feel all my driving prior to this point has been with a semi functional PS system. Hard to know what to expect in this situation. I am guessing my pump was somehow operating at reduced output. Glad to have that squared away and now I can enjoy a fully functioning system!
    Another good example of how FFR treats their customers. A1 client care has been my experience. Good job Dave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Just a superb build! Your build thread is a clear road map for anyone to follow. Nice plate.

Congrats! Now enjoy the sweet fruits of your labors.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like

Heat shield data

I purchased the Drummer Mike's heat shields. I am pretty paranoid about the burn particularly for my wife and I also really like the look of them. Took about a 20 minute drive this morning. Temperature is about 80 degrees. I took some readings with my heat probe about a minute after turning the car off.

You can see the pipe near the exit from the body was about 170

The heat shield itself was close to the outside air temp at 86

Quite a nice difference. The pipes were not as hot as I would have expected. The last couple miles of the drive were slowly going through the neighborhood at low rpm so I expect the cooled a decent amount from their peak temps. Still I am glad to see a quantifiable difference and glad I have the shields.

I did take one last reading on the exit of the pipe that is just aft of the heat shield. That area was at 115. (Picture did not come out)
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    That device is not reading the temperature of the pipes exactly because they are shiny. To get a more precise reading a small piece of masking tape needs to be applied so the reflectivity is the same in all places you are measuring. I suspect the pipes reading 170 would sizzle spit and the 115 area would burn your hand. I have heat shields too and they keep most of the burns away. My bare legged granddaughter jumped out of the car one day and burned her calf on the end of the pipe.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    That device is not reading the temperature of the pipes exactly because they are shiny. To get a more precise reading a small piece of masking tape needs to be applied so the reflectivity is the same in all places you are measuring. I suspect the pipes reading 170 would sizzle spit and the 115 area would burn your hand. I have heat shields too and they keep most of the burns away. My bare legged granddaughter jumped out of the car one day and burned her calf on the end of the pipe.
    That is interesting King. Thanks!
    How much variation do you think there would be from the actual temperature?
    I guess the point the heat shields do make a nice difference is still valid regardless of the actual temperature. Glad you pointed that out though so I don't lose respect for the actual heat by thinking it is cooler than it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    My bare legged granddaughter jumped out of the car one day and burned her calf on the end of the pipe.
    I call those "snake bites." I was fanatical about warning folks getting out of my SP about leg burns and being careful. It worked about 90% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like those heat shields. I will be looking into them for my car.

Post Thanks / Like

500 mile report

I passed 500 miles this morning. Still cant wipe the goofy smile off my face anytime I am driving it. I love the coyote and am so satisfied with my decision to go with it. It fires up and runs so consistently every time I turn the key and I don't have any worries about reliable operation.
    I am also loving the IRS. The car rides a lot better and smoother than I anticipated coming into this project. I have nothing to compare to in other Cobras but I sure am pleased with the IRS.

Honestly as a first time builder I was somewhat nervous when setting out on the initial drives. I was confident in the build process and that I had done everything correctly but I still just had the feeling of wow I have never done anything like this before and I am now driving something around I built from scratch. My initial drives were 5-10 miles and I would come home and look everything over very closely. As the miles have built my confidence in the car and what I have done has really grown. Yesterday I had my first trip on the interstate. Took it up to about 85mph. It cruises very nicely in 5th gear and was really enjoyable on the interstate. This morning I took about a 40 mile cruise. Mostly country roads between 40-60mph. It just continues to operate beautifully.

I got my first fuel mileage data after my fill up this morning. Over the last 3/4 tank I averaged 17.44 mpg. I am pretty impressed with that. I don't drive really fast but I do enjoy pretty hard accelerations up to the speed limit +5 quite often. I think if I was driving normally without all the hard accelerations 20mpg would be attainable.

My plan now that I reached 500 miles is to put it up on the lift and go back over everything very thoroughly. Checking all bolts, torques, fluids, lubrication points etc. I will report back if I find any issues.

Up to this point the only issue I have been dealing with is leaking power steering fluid. The trouble spot seems to be at the pump outlet to rack line connection. FFR sent me a new pump which I swapped out about 200 miles ago. That one has definitely made a difference. I still occasionally find some fluid residue under the car but it is very minimal. I will continue to monitor that. I will say with every component on the car the only thing I haven't been real impressed with is the Coyote power steering option I purchased from FFR. As I detailed earlier in the thread I thought the kit provided lines were crap and upgraded those. Now I have had issues with the pump and am not super confident in the long term success of the replacement pump. The kit was priced at $400 and I got it during the half off sale so I really only paid $200. This might be a case of you get what you pay for. Also I notice after i have been driving a while the steering effort increases just a bit. Not sure if that is a function of the fluid getting hot or what to attribute that to. I did see a thread recently discussing PS fluid coolers. I did not opt to install one. Possibly that was a mistake and I will need to address that in the future. The general consensus was the cooler was not needed for a non track car. Anyways, next build I will be looking more thoroughly and power steering options. Might be an area I am willing to spend extra on for a better quality system.

The only other thing I might be trending slightly negative on is the side pipe noise. I am still in the "this is awesome I don't care how loud it is" stage but have had a thought or two slip into my mind wondering if the driving would be more enjoyable with quieter pipes. I can see down the road a couple thousand miles growing tired of the loud pipes. My wife enjoys riding with me and in 4th or 5th gear at 40-60mph it is quite easy for us to converse. With the coyote and my gearing I am running right about 2000rpm in that situation. You can have a normal conversation then. On the flip side in a first gear hard throttle launch it is flat out loud. Dont think she could hear me even if I was yelling during those.

All in it is a blast to drive and I am so pleased with my decision to pursue this project. The personal satisfaction and pride I feel when driving it are tough to beat. If you are reading this and on the fence to build or not I give this project my highest recommendation. Also I like to remind readers that I had essentially zero automotive experience coming into this. This is a project you can do without being an expert mechanic. The help available here is amazing. Really the only problem building a car for a street driver is with the available performance I cant even come close to touching this things potential without being an absolute fool on public roads which I am not willing to do. My plan to never track the car might has to be reevaluated at some point as well. I would like to see what this thing can do.

I do miss the actual build process. (Find myself thinking about that Gen 3 Coupe more and more!) I still have a few mods in mind to accomplish. I have two things on the way that I am excited about and will update the thread when I accomplish those.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 06-11-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have a few mods in mind to accomplish. I have two things on the way that I am excited about and will update the thread when I accomplish those.
    Let me guess, FFR premium top and head rests?
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear you are enjoying your new ride.

Power Steering....You may want to disconnect it altogether to get a feel for what NO PS is like. In a 2,300 lb car PS is up for debate. I don't have it and have never had an instance where I thought "wish I had that "PS"

I went with Gas-N pipes for a little quieter ride. Still, as the Coyote starts to bark above 2,000 revs and make power above 3,000, everyone in the neighbourhood knows youre coming. At highway speeds, the wind noise will drive you nuts after 30 minutes. I invested in a pair of custom earplugs. $$ well spent.

Ive got +18,000 miles on my 2012 Coyote MkIV. Posted another 600 miles this weekend. Breaking in a new driver. I keep teller her you cant hurt it.

WOOHOO..Looking forward to the 1000 kilometer drive to Columbus and the London Cobra Show next days off. Started praying to the weather gods already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me guess, FFR premium top and head rests?
    Haha neither of those.
    Pretty sure if I combined my 6'3" body, with my Kirkey high back seats and then had a top on the car it would be darn near impossible to get in and out of. I pretty much stand up in the car and step out as it is now.

Dave I have driven a buddies Mk3 without PS. I am not a fan. Personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I change out the FFR mufflers to the 30" Slimlines after the first 500 miles. I got tired of the noise and they quietened the exhaust for a much more enjoyable ride. I have the FFR premium top which I have put on and taken off several times but I like the driving experience better with it on. I do remove it for taller passengers because of the difficulty of them getting in and out of the car. I like the shade it provides to keep the Texas sun off the legs and helps the AC keep cool air around the occupants even without the side windows. As far as wind noise I don't think it has bothered me but being 5'-6" I might sit lower behind the windshield than others.
    Last edited by 2bking; 06-11-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    King

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha neither of those.
    Pretty sure if I combined my 6'3" body, with my Kirkey high back seats and then had a top on the car it would be darn near impossible to get in and out of. I pretty much stand up in the car and step out as it is now.

Dave I have driven a buddies Mk3 without PS. I am not a fan. Personal preference.
    Scott, I'm 6'2" and have the premium top. It'll be in London in a couple of weeks. If you're there you should try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Scott, I'm 6'2" and have the premium top. It'll be in London in a couple of weeks. If you're there you should try it.
    Thanks. I won't be able to make it.
    I actually have no interest in a top for the car.
    If I did Im sure it would be doable with the regular seats. With the kirkeys that you sit more in than on like the regular seats I don't think it would be much fun getting in and out with a top on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've really enjoyed reading this Scott. My step son and I have wanted to do a Cobra for several years, but other projects have gotten in the way. I'm finishing up a 69 Bronco now, so maybe a Cobra build will come in the next year or so. I first found your build on Instagram and started following. It's top notch all the way and your passion for it really shows. Outstanding job and gorgeous car!
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redwards69 View Post
    I've really enjoyed reading this Scott. My step son and I have wanted to do a Cobra for several years, but other projects have gotten in the way. I'm finishing up a 69 Bronco now, so maybe a Cobra build will come in the next year or so. I first found your build on Instagram and started following. It's top notch all the way and your passion for it really shows. Outstanding job and gorgeous car!
    Rick
    Appreciate the kind words Rick. I love me some instagram! haha Glad you found me on there. Would love to see some pics of that Bronco. What is your instagram name?

Post Thanks / Like

500 mile report part 2

Put the car up on the lift today. Everything is looking good.

Couple points:
    1. Header bolts - I snugged a couple of them up. I used the remflex gaskets but did not take any additional steps to secure them other than tightening to the specified torque. I came across a great thread after I had installed the headers with some good suggestions. Wish I would have seen it before. Once the coyote goes in it is so tight and difficult to access some of those bolt heads that I think at this point I would rather just check them occasionally vs trying to take them completely out to redo. With that being said I have found that some areas of the car are so tight to work on that it is difficult to get a full length wrench on it. My solution has been to buy a cheap wrench in the particular size I need and cut the length in half and grind down the jaws to allow it to fit into small spaces. I have two for specific power steering connections and now I will be doing one in 17mm to make snugging the header bolts easier.

2. Grease - the grease nipple that is on the front lower control arms facing down seems to drip grease. Cant recall the exact stuff I used but when it is hot like it is in the summer the stuff seems to liquify somewhat and drip out. The inside of my front wheels was a mess. Will use different grease next time.

Other than that I am very pleased with everything. Something I failed to mention yesterday regarding the coyote is the fan and running temperature. EdwardB has reported to me and in his thread as well his running temps and fan operation and mine seems to mirror his almost exactly. The fan runs almost continually and the temp gauge never really moves from the 70-85 C range once it gets warmed up. I have been doing numerous 30-40 mile drives with temps between 65-85 F and my speed varies from slow around town to 60mph out in the country for long periods. The motor temp is very constant. The coyote pcm is controlling the fan and it has nothing to do with my temp gauge so that number is just for reference.

All around I am just loving the car and the driving. Did about 30 miles this morning and had a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your instagram name?
    slvr02

Post Thanks / Like

tire stickers

Well one of my mods I have been waiting on showed up this week and I installed it today. This is one that not everyone will like but i think it looks cool and am quite pleased with it.
    I came across the idea of permanent tire stickers from tirestickers.com. They supposedly last the life of the tires. I guess I will be finding out. They have a couple different options about what you can get. I decided I wanted stickers that perfectly covered the existing lettering already on the tires.

The process for that was to take a piece of paper and some crayons and make an etching of the letters. Then I sent them in and they produced them for me. That process took about a week and they were shipped to me.

Then I installed them. If you look up tire stickers install on youtube there is a 6 minute video that goes through the process. Somewhat tedious to do 2 on each tire but I am pleased with the results. Really like the little color splash and the overall look. My only concern is the durability but they get good reviews so hopefully they will hold up.

I have another custom mod in production and will update when that shows up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats pretty cool, Scott. Bet it looks good when moving slowly. Cant wait to see whats next.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

small update

Well the tire stickers have been tested to 93mph. They don't fly off at that speed. I had a wonderful 60 mile cruise this morning out in the country.

Filled up again today. This partial tank I got 19.41 mpg. I accelerate pretty hard to the speed limit most times so I am quite impressed with that mileage.

I am questioning my fuel gauge accuracy.
    I put 10.87 gallons in. Just prior to filling up I was showing right at 1/2 tank.

What is the actual capacity of the tank? I was thinking around 16 gallons
    I guess with the shape of the tank the needle decline on the gauge probably isn't linear. I knew I had less than 1/2 tank and I will probably just make a habit of gassing up every 200 miles or so. I estimate the range to be closer to 280 to 300 per tank.

Also on my ride today I finally found a road and no traffic situation I felt comfortable with for the brake bedding procedure. I did the 8 hard applications from 65mph as prescribed in the Wilwood instructions. Not much to report after it was complete other than they continue to work. I hardly used them the remainder of the drive. Will see if I notice a difference on hard stops next drive.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 06-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had 3.5 gallons in the tank and the gauge read zero. When I pulled the sender out and tested it it worked fine. I added another 3 and it showed 1/4 on the gauge. It looked like their needed to be 3-4g in the tank before the the float started to move. This all could have been evaporation over a few months, but I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott -

Just got current on your thread. Thanks for the detailed build log. It is a valuable resource that I will refer to in future.

Post Thanks / Like
    One year ago today. Time flies when you are having fun! Question is what will I be working on in my garage one year from today? I do have that extra spot now that I have the lift.....
    I am loving every minute of the driving but do miss the build process.

I put this in the thread about the 0-60 function of the GPS speedo but I will post it here as well.
    I don't have the confidence or experience to try a 100% launch yet nor did I have an appropriate road but I did go about 75% tonight for a 0-60 run. I clocked a 4.72 on the speedo. Under 4 seconds is certainly attainable. I knew the car was fast but it is pretty cool to see it on the dial!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott. This weekend, my brother and I were talking colors and whatnot, he knows I've always loved a dark metallic charcoal grey ever since my 84 SVO.
    He texted me and said he found the perfect car that he really loved... and sent me a pic of your car. Yowza.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Hey Scott. This weekend, my brother and I were talking colors and whatnot, he knows I've always loved a dark metallic charcoal grey ever since my 84 SVO.
    He texted me and said he found the perfect car that he really loved... and sent me a pic of your car. Yowza.
    Ha small world. Where did he find it at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha small world. Where did he find it at?
    Factory 5 website front page. I think he did a Google for grey F5 roadsters.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like

1000 mile report and noise

Turned 1000 miles on the odometer this week. Put it up on the lift again to check things over. Gaining a lot more confidence in this build as everything is running flawlessly at this point. I am so pleased with the decision to go with the Coyote and the modern reliability it offers. Now that it is up and running all I have to do is drive. It is as reliable as any of my other cars and I really enjoy not having a requirement for any sort of tuning because I just don't have much knowledge in that area.
    It is probably overkill but I decided I would do the initial oil change at 1000 miles so I accomplished that this morning. From here on out I will just do an annual oil change because I am sure the yearly mileage will be below the recommended change interval mileage. The lift sure makes it easy!

The only complaint I have at this point is the noise level. After 20+ years of exposure to jet engines and another 20+ to go before I retire my hearing faces enough threats at work. After 40 years of flying jets my father had very poor hearing so I am sensitive to that and try to protect mine as much as I can. Initially as I was go carting the build I was in the phase of this thing is so awesome I don't care how loud it is. I must say at the 1000 mile point I am over that and the noise level does diminish my enjoyment of the total experience just a bit. I do drive with ear plugs now.
    My current setup is the FFR coyote headers, J pipes and polished exhaust.

I decided to pursue a quieter option and have ordered another set of pipes and the flowmaster slimline mufflers. The pipes are currently being cut and welded. I purchased a decibel meter to do a little before and after testing. Below is a short video of the original pipes on startup and under a few revs. My wife took the video standing next to the car with the meter in the approximate position of the passengers ears. The peak level was 110db and that was sitting still and I revved the motor to 5000 rpm. The noise level chart I am using for reference indicates at 112 db you experience hearing damage after 1 minute of exposure. Now of course I have ear plugs in so that is helping but still the noise in motion under a hard acceleration seems much louder. I plan to start a thread on the forum devoted just to noise levels and will report back with more videos and some comparison data before and after I change to the muffled pipes. Will probably be a month or 6 weeks until I have the new pipes on as I have to get them ceramic coated after they are completed and that will be a multi week process.

https://youtu.be/Cv3jevyEkig

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some additional sound recording today on our drive.
    The first video was a moderate acceleration from a stop through first and second gears up to about 50mph. Peak noise level was about 110db.

https://youtu.be/EODCP5eWyPM

The second video is cruising at 60mph in 5th gear at 1900-2000 rpm. That was about 96db. Probably as much from the wind noise as the actual exhaust noise. Pretty easy to converse at this level.

https://youtu.be/labpRrukJYk

Post Thanks / Like

pipes progress

Making some progress towards getting some quieter pipes. Through some more outstanding generosity from the forum a member has helped me with the part that was beyond my capabilities since I do not weld. I ordered a set of bare pipes and the flow master slimline mufflers. He made a jig for them, then cut and welded them together and shipped them on to me. The should be a direct bolt on replacement. The overall length is about 2" longer than the original pipes.
    Tomorrow I will try a test fit and the next step will be to take them for ceramic coating. I am excited for the progress on this.

Also had something kind of exciting happen yesterday. My Uncle is a big car guy and out of the blue he texted me and said he was looking through his current issue of Hot Rod magazine and he turned the page and I was staring back at him from the page! I knew FFR had used my photo in their on line advertisements but did not really consider it would show up in print. That was pretty exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another Kudos for you Scott; I noticed our NEW gold vendor Reincarnation Magazine is using your ride in it's banner!

Your ride is getting quite famous! I'll expect to see an article in the mag soon!

PS those pipes look great! I can't wait to see your sound results!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing your build. I too am going to be in the same boat as you were at the beginning of your project; going in with absolutely zero experience. I'll be referring to your thread often. I'm glad I could still see the posted photos as the Photobucket debacle messed up a lot of my reference threads. Your car is awesome! and the fighter flight stick is even more awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote custom tune

I read a lot of threads and opinions on the necessity of a custom engine tune for the Coyote. Strong opinions on both sides.
    After 1200 miles on the stock tune my car was running just fine with zero issues. Basically because I cant leave well enough alone i decided to give the custom tune a shot.
    Forum member Duke had recommended Lund Racing to me. Also the Ford engineer that helped me with all my wiring harness issues mentioned they have a very solid reputation within the industry when I queried him. For the record Ford is very noncommittal about actually recommending a specific tuner but in a sort of off the record comment the guy I trust indicated if I were going with a custom tune that Lund was a good choice. That was good enough for me.

I went to their website and ordered the tune. They can use either the SCT X4 or Nguage tuning devices. I already owned the X4 so I went with that device to save myself some money from buying the Nguage. My tune was $450. Had I bought the tune and the Nguage I believe it was about $700. (Mac users beware the SCT is not Mac compatible. I am a Mac guy and had to resort to using an old windows machine so that was kind of a pain but it worked. You basically need the computer to load the tune file onto the device and to use for data logging which I will mention shortly.)

When you order the tune you fill out some information on how your car is configured and any engine mods. Obviously in our case we differ from stock on the air intake and exhaust. I specified that and it is also important you specify if you are using a crate motor. After that it took about 7 business days for the to email me the custom tune file.

Once you receive the tune you upload it to the device on the computer and then take the device out and plug it into the car. Loading the tune onto the PCM is quite simple following the on screen instructions and took about 10 minutes.
    The way Lund works is they send you a base tune. Then you send them some data logs back and they modify the tune as needed. Then you do some more data logs and they give you the final tune.

Upon loading the base tune my car fired right up as it always has and I took it on a test drive.
    First impression....WOW! This is immediately noticeable and quite improved. The engine runs smoother at low rpms, the throttle response is sharper, the overall performance seems noticeably improved on the butt dyno. Honestly in the first 1200 miles I thought the cars performance was a 10 out of 10. Post tune I would say the first 1200 miles was actually at 8.5 and now I am truly at 10 out of 10 for a stock motor.

After a short drive I was ready to do some data logging to get the tune updated.
    That consisted of hooking up the tuner to the car and the computer and running the car through a set profile they provided.

The profile was:
    Idle for 3-5 minutes
    While sitting still:
    1500 rpm for 10-15 seconds
    2500 rpm for 10-15 seconds
    3500 rpm for 10-15 seconds
    After that go drive and in either 2nd or 3rd gear do a couple slow accelerations from 2500 to 5000 rpm
    After that pull over and idle for 1-2 minutes
    Then stop the data log, save it and email it to them.

I submitted the data log and in short order they sent me a revised tune to load with instructions for a second data logging session. I loaded the review tune the same way I did the initial tune. (IF you have concerns about this the engines factory tune is saved onto your device and you can revert to factory at any time.)
    The profile for the next data log was the same but after the first 2500-5000rpm acceleration they wanted a WOT 2nd gear pull from 2500-7200rpm. (That was fun, hit about 85mph in 2nd gear!)
    Once I completed that data log and sent it to them they looked over the data and determined no further adjustments were needed and I was good to go.

I should say they also offer the option of an actual dyno session where they collaborate with the dyno operator and modify your tune that way. I choose the option of doing my own data logging and felt for my road driving needs that was sufficient.

Very, very pleased with the tune. I feel like it really optimized the motors performance. I am also very pleased with Lund and their communications and everyone I dealt with there.

Post Thanks / Like

Post tune performance

I have really been enjoying driving the car since the tune was installed. I decided to try a 0-60 run today. Honestly I am still timid to go to hard on the equipment. Spent so much time building it I don't want to tear anything up. I was a little more aggressive with the clutch today but still not max performance. I would guess 85% on the launch. Lost traction on the 1st-2nd shift which cost me some time and I shifted just above 6000 instead of pushing to 7000. Still managed a 4.02 and 200.6'. Not bad for something I built in my garage and considering I have no real high performance driving experience. I will get it in the 3s next time. Fun times!!

Here is the video:
    https://youtu.be/ZnTdHcrDIDI

Picture proof or it didn't happen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, really enjoyed the ride along. Car, build, tune and pics are very impressive. So glad you got the Lund tune and had good results. I am sure the car has a lot more to give on your 0-60 times. As you get more comfortable, the times will get better.
    It does sound like you short shifted 1-2, but you did well.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spectacular thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Vicariously living my roadster dreams through threads like this. Thanks for posting the 0-60 Video. With some practice I bet there's a sub 4 second time in that setup.

Chris AKA Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    That machine sounds great!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm sure it can easily do sub 4 seconds. Not sure which is the bigger limiting factor.....my inexperience or tire traction!

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast