Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like

Lift install day 2 /radiator protector

Lift install continues. Had some friends help me get the ramps into position. Actually was quite easy using the engine crane. It is amazing how many uses I have found for that thing other than lifting engines! I hoped to complete the install yesterday. The directions and illustrations leave a lot to be desired. I have a question about the secondary safety lock and deemed it best not to proceed until I can talk to Bendpak on Monday and get my question answered. There is going to be a lot of money sitting on and under this lift. I want to make absolutely sure the safety devices are working as designed. Like the car there is definitely a learning curve on installation as I have had to do a couple steps over thanks to the weak directions.

While I wait for that I worked on my radiator protector.

I ordered a nomex honeycomb product from speedway motors. Looks like they are used for dirt track racing. I liked the simplicity of the install and it was pretty cheap so I figured I would give this a try. You can trim it to your desired size very easily with a utility knife.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honeyc...Inch,3545.html

Here is a cross section of the trimmed off piece.

I also got an attachment kit from amazon.

Sprayed it flat black and here it is installed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

finished the lift

I finished installing the lift today. I put basically three 9 hour days into getting it installed. Would have been much more cost effective to pay the $850 to have it installed but I am glad I did it now. Still need to fine tune the cable tension just a bit. After it has had some weight on it they should stretch a little. After a few up/down cycles with it empty I was confident but still a little nervous to put my new Audi on there! Let that sit about 10 minutes to make sure it seemed good and then pulled the Cobra under for the picture. The Cobra is still in my basement garage workshop for now. Ultimately I am going to park my F150 under the lift. Thought the Cobra would provide for a better pic! haha
    I was anticipating the lift when I built the house 2 years ago and I installed a high lift garage door opener that mounts on the front wall of the garage so there are no hanging door openers to get in the way. That worked out beautifully. Now I can raise things up the full 13' to the ceiling.

I also opted to get the pneumatic driven hydraulic jack that rides up and down the rails. Forgot to get a picture of it extended. It was a heavy sucker. Another great use for the engine crane getting it in position.

Looking forward to the flexibility in both storage and maintenance options the 4 post lift will provide.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 02-18-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Awesome lift! Really nice addition.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like

Final Color selections

I locked in my color selections today.
    I was already 95% sure but a fellow forum member made mention of automotivetouchup.com that allows you to order paint mixed to the factory codes. I decided to order a can of each color to have on hand and also to make up a sample piece. Previously all I had were the spray out cards. Here it is:

The colors are:

body - dark labyrinth - ppg 923677
    stripes - atomic orange - ppg 914927

I will be getting the go cart to Whitby in the next couple weeks for body install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,
    Did you have to shorten the rods on your brake master cylinders? I have the same brand as yours and Mine are very close on having enough room to adj the bias. If so, how much did you cut off. Thanks,
    Last edited by Railroad; 02-13-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Scott,
    Did you have to shorting the rods on your brake master cylinders? I have the same brand as yours and Mine are very close on having enough room to adj the bias. If so, how much did you cut off. Thanks,
    I did not. With that being said I have never set bias before so I may have to make some adjustments when I get out on the road. Brakes seem to work good so far but I also haven't been able to properly bed the pads in yet because I can't get up to speed in my neighborhood and that is the extent of my driving so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

Your color spray out looks awesome! It's going to look awesome on the whole car!

I am also very jealous of your new lift. That is going to be a game changer for you, I suspect.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Scott-

Your color spray out looks awesome! It's going to look awesome on the whole car!

I am also very jealous of your new lift. That is going to be a game changer for you, I suspect.

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I cant wait to see some color on it! Maybe you will see it before I do on your visit to Whitby.

Post Thanks / Like

Painted engine/ coil covers

I had the engine/coil covers painted to match my exterior colors. Really pleased how they look! Cant wait to see this thing together!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you paint them? Or have it done? Looks great

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that looks incredible!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Did you paint them? Or have it done? Looks great

stack
    I had them done.

Post Thanks / Like
    That does look nice... classy.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Top notch!

Len
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the nice comments. The go cart gets picked up Tuesday for transport to Whitby. Have a few items to accomplish this weekend to get it ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Scott. I like your color scheme. Painting the engine parts to match is a great idea.

Looking at your new lift is going to cost me.....I kust know it!
    FFR MK4 Complete Kit #8952
    Build Thread
    Bodywork Thread
    3 Link Rear Suspension, Gordon Levy 347 SBF with T5
    First start Feb 20, 2017, First Go Kart March 5, 2017, Registered & Title April 25, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Hay is in the barn

My go cart is getting picked up Tuesday for transport to Whitby in Greensboro for the body install. I had a list of items I wanted to accomplish prior to sending it away.
    Including:
    seat out
    exhaust heat shields off
    fighter stick shifter swap to the regular shifter
    remove trans tunnel cover
    remove wheel knock offs
    recheck all bolts for proper tightness
    charge the battery
    some minimal interior protection to protect the carpet
    swap the steering wheel
    Install the threaded rods into the bumper couplers
    Pack and label all parts Whitby will be needing

My plan is for Whitby to install the body and doors, hood, and trunk including all hinges. I am also having them install their upgraded side vents which are painted to match the body color and install the windshield.
    Not sure how long the car will be gone but I sure will be anxious to get it back!

Final tally on the go cart was 77 miles. Is that some sort of record? haha
    All those miles were within my neighborhood. I sure am excited to drive on some real streets!

Also today I tried the pneumatic jack on the lift. Works great and really a neat piece of equipment. It slides fore/aft the length of the ramps and can be adjusted to any width so you can hit any jacking point. I also have a jack stand tray that slides so I can get all 4 wheels off the ramps very easily if need be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very exciting times for you. I'm trying to get my list done too. I have a few more weeks than you to get the details done. How long will yours be there? Colors are great and did they paint the engine parts?
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Very exciting times for you. I'm trying to get my list done too. I have a few more weeks than you to get the details done. How long will yours be there? Colors are great and did they paint the engine parts?
    Not sure how long it will be there. Jeff told me to have it there at the end of February. Honestly at this point I have stopped expecting any time estimates from them. He once told me I'm not gonna rush on the car before yours to get to yours and I'm not gonna rush on yours to get to the next. I can respect that and appreciate the commitment to doing a good job however long it takes. I would like it to be quick because I'm just impatient! I know I will be satisfied with the end result.

Whitby did not paint the cover. I'm not sure if the vendor is a forum sponsor so I won't mention the name but feel free to message me for the details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post

Where did you get that engine cradle? I've been searching for a stand like that and I just haven't had much luck finding one for a mod motor.

*Edit. Of course right after I post this I find the Stumpy's Fab cradle. Looks like what you have and will suit my needs.
    Last edited by Misterfubar; 02-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterfubar View Post
    Where did you get that engine cradle? I've been searching for a stand like that and I just haven't had much luck finding one for a mod motor.

*Edit. Of course right after I post this I find the Stumpy's Fab cradle. Looks like what you have and will suit my needs.
    Yep got it from Stumpy's. Worked great and very nicely built. I will say communication took a couple attempts before I got a reply. I am assuming he is a one man operation. Be patient on the communication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep got it from Stumpy's. Worked great and very nicely built. I will say communication took a couple attempts before I got a reply. I am assuming he is a one man operation. Be patient on the communication.
    Good to know on the communication. Thanks. If I can't get it in a week or two I can just do without. The motor won't spend but a few days on the cradle, I just want it for convenience.

Post Thanks / Like

The wait begins

My go cart was picked up today for transport to Whitby. Not sure what I will do with my free time until it comes back! haha

Work is taking me to Greensboro on Thursday so I will be able to go by the shop and get some in progress pictures of the body. Looking forward to that.

First person other than me to drive it! That was kind of interesting to hear the exhaust note from the outside.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the engine/coil covers painted to match my exterior colors. Really pleased how they look! Cant wait to see this thing together!

Those are simply stunning ... BTW a local guy in our area had Whitby do his paint. It was unbelievable beautiful.

He also did a safety check on the car ...

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like

visit to whitby

Work took me to Greensboro this week so I was able to make a visit to Whitby. That worked out great because my car had just arrived there the day before. I was able to go over exactly what I wanted done with the man that will be installing my body and that cleared up a few questions I had about the process. To a man everyone I have spoke with on my visits to Whitby is extremely nice and really cares about the product they are putting out. Of course I wish things would happen a little faster but I am very happy to have them working on the car.

Then I went over to the paint and body work building and checked on the body. Here it is (the white spot on the nose is where I edited the picture. It has a piece of green tape with my name on it. That white isn't on the body)

Currently it is in slick sand. I know nothing about body work but Whitby seems to have a few going at the same time. They indicated they like to do a step and then let it set up/ cure for a certain time period before going on to the next step. There work comes out beautiful so they seem to have the process down how they like to do it. They were about to sand mine again and then primer is next. Then I think they said more sanding, then color will be coming. Looks like it will take another month anyways before I get the car back.

I had an interesting talk with the painter about laying out my triple stripe and how I wanted the thickness of the stripes to be and the thickness of the gaps between the large middle stripe and the two small outer stripes. Also what would look best with the stripes in relation to the hood scoop and front end openings. Something I never considered is he said the stripes where not really straight. He said there are seven tapers from front to back to make them look best in relation to the curves of the body. I thought that was an interesting point. He and I are on the same page about how I want the stripes to look so I just left it at his discretion on the exact measurements and spacing to make it look the best.

I am really a type A control freak so just waiting at home for this to finish with nothing to work on will be the hardest part of the build for me! haha
    I cant wait to get the Cobra home and to finish this build.
    In the meantime I have a few things I am considering doing. Thinking about painting the back of the Kirkeys black to match the seat covers and a few other small details.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 02-26-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update - the body is now in primer. Whitby also test fit the body to my chassis. Up until now they have done all the body work on their own frame at the shop. Jeff at Whitby said the body went on my go cart with no problems. He did indicate in the past for whatever reason sometimes they run into issues at that stage. Glad mine worked out nicely. Next is blocking and then hopefully I will see some pictures with color soon!

Post Thanks / Like

index

I have spent considerable time learning from others build threads. The amount of information is awesome. One problem I discovered was knowing I had read something and having to search through a long build thread to find it. I have learned a lot of lessons as a first time builder and have tried to be pretty good about documenting it. I decided to make an index so if anyone if looking for a particular item or area it may be a little easier to find in my thread. I am going to post this in the first post of the thread and update it as I continue to update the thread. Hopefully this will be useful to someone and save them some time.

This is pretty a simple index. Sometimes the information continues for multiple posts. This should get you in the general area though.

13 - inventory
    18 - removing panels
    44 - drivers side front footbox fill panel
    48 - front LCA
    51 - powder coat items
    59 - front suspension
    61 - front brakes
    64 - irs prep
    66 - rear wheel studs
    71 - irs install
    74 - irs control arms
    77 - finish irs/ rear brakes
    85 - heat shield
    87 - pedal box install/ notch clutch pedal
    106 - firewall support piece
    110 - triple reservoir/ irs vent
    113 - battery tray/ radiator mount
    117 - footbox aluminum
    119 - footbox heat/sound insulation
    120 - fan shroud/ battery tray/ Ebrake cables
    123 - fuel pump/ tank install
    124 - Coyote engine lift plates
    125 - homemade fuel vent filter
    126 - oil pan change
    127 - Alternator and power steering pump install
    128 - clutch and transmission install
    134 - wheels
    143 - fuel regulator
    148 - rolling chassis
    150 - coyote clutch safety switches (hydrualic clutch)
    151 - accel pedal/ fuse box
    152 - brake lines
    156 - cockpit aluminum
    157 - transmission spacers/ engine install
    160 - driveshaft/ driveshaft safety loop
    166 - ebrake cable mod/ reinstall proper driveshaft
    170 - transmission fluid
    175 - coyote pcm
    184 - brake bleeding
    187 - rear harness/ trunk and cockpit aluminum/ clutch bleeding
    193 - breeze quick disconnect steering wheel mod
    200 - power steering (first lines, replaced later)
    204 - coyote harness install
    207 - heat shield and power wiring
    208 - engine ground
    210 - tach wiring/ coyote harness
    213 - power steering revised lines
    214 - coolant system
    217 - removable dash
    221 - horns
    222 - engine complete/ dash prep
    223 - ride height
    224 - FIRST START!!
    234 - fire extinguisher/ roll bar
    240 - seat harness install
    243 - alignment and first go cart
    250 - weatherpacks for head lights/tail lights
    258 - coyote pcm update code P0116
    259 - seat heaters
    262 - kirkey seat mounts/ lumbar supports and seat heaters
    263 - drivers footbox
    264 - cockpit heat and sound shield
    265 - coyote vacuum system mod/ removable transmission tunnel
    270 - brake line rub
    272 - transmission tunnel covering
    276 - 278 kirkey seat mounting/ carpet
    282 - interior
    289 - trunk carpet/ phone charger
    291 - pedal box and exhaust pipe temps
    297 - interior work
    298 - drivers footbox panels
    301 - wheel centers
    302 - wheel and splash guards
    311 - engine dress up
    316 - paint samples
    322 - door strap dye - dye to black
    327 - trunk kit
    350 - fuel pump failure
    356 - license plate mod
    359 - rear bumper couplers
    376 - replacing coyote wiring harness
    394 - knock offs painted / air intake shroud
    401- nomex radiator protector
    404 - final color selection
    409 - painted engine cover
    417 - deconstruct and ship to Whitby for body install
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-04-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the index, awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Nice index! this should be a great resource for all to use.

Thanks,
    Len
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, you are the man. I am still building and resort to build threads frequently to answer questions. You were kind enough to give me some thread pages for assistance. This new index will be like a book in hand. Thanks for the work.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I worked on my radiator protector.

I ordered a nomex honeycomb product from speedway motors. Looks like they are used for dirt track racing. I liked the simplicity of the install and it was pretty cheap so I figured I would give this a try. You can trim it to your desired size very easily with a utility knife.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honeyc...Inch,3545.html

Here is a cross section of the trimmed off piece.

I also got an attachment kit from amazon.

Sprayed it flat black and here it is installed.
    Scott,

What A Great Idea!
    If it works on the dirt tracks, it should give great radiator protection on the street.
    Painting it was a nice touch so I'll be sure to order one as soon as I finish this post.
    Thanks-O-Million!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-05-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Item Ordered From Speedway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Item Ordered From Speedway!
    Takes a lot of paint to get coverage. I probably did about 10 light applications. Did want to get to much in the honeycomb.

Post Thanks / Like

Progress pics

Huge thanks to WIS89 for sending me these pictures of the body in progress at Whitby. Previously they have done all the body work on their own frame. Here they were test fitting my primed body on my chassis. They will be taking it back off and blocking it and then color should be coming soon. I am excited to see the progress and color. Very appreciative that WIS89 took and sent the pictures when he went by the shop!

Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-07-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Feels great to see it at that stage, doesn't it?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Congrats! Feels great to see it at that stage, doesn't it?
    Sure does. Im going to really freak out when I see some color!

Post Thanks / Like

First glimpse of color

First glimpse of color from the paint shop. Not much to say other than I love it and am really excited. This seems to make it more real!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice Color!

How close is it to your wheels?

Was that the intended choice?

Just Wondering & Glad He's Moving Along Quickly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the color but surprised to see that they did not drill the holes for the hood latches or scoop fasteners before paint

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Like the color but surprised to see that they did not drill the holes for the hood latches or scoop fasteners before paint

Jeff
    I have no idea what their process is. I was wondering about that. All the finished projects looked great that I have seen so I'm confident in the outcome. I was also wondering if they painted the body or stripe color first. Maybe this indicates the body.

GoDad the wheels are close to the body color but not exact. Not intended to match. I figure everyone with those wheels has the same color so the body color didn't need to match. I don't think the slight difference will bother me but no way to know until it's done.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast