FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    ...It is amazing to me how they clear coat it then scuff it up...
    Sounds like the comment my wife made when I painted the first Mk4 I did red---"I'll never understand you boys and what you do to these cars. It was red and shiny when it got here...then it got red and dull...then it was gray...then back to red and shiny and now you're making it all dull again. Why didn't you just leave it alone?"

Jeff

2. Likes Blitzboy54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Sounds like the comment my wife made when I painted the first Mk4 I did red---"I'll never understand you boys and what you do to these cars. It was red and shiny when it got here...then it got red and dull...then it was gray...then back to red and shiny and now you're making it all dull again. Why didn't you just leave it alone?"

Jeff
    That is hilarious Jeff!
    I will never understand why my wife has 6 pairs of black shoes that look the same to me and a dozen or so similar necklaces. Luckily they support our car habits!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    A buildable Frame Dolly??? Are there plans for this? I see the dolly pictured in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

almost there!

Got some more pictures today. They have spent the week sanding and buffing. Should be moving on to putting the body on the go cart next week. Cant wait!!

On the lighter side I have one more picture. On my visits to Whitby I have been joking around with Brooks the painter. In Alabama college football is King and there is nothing bigger than the Auburn/ Alabama rivalry. As my user name indicates I am a die hard Auburn grad/fan. Brooks happens to be an Alabama fan. He was joking me that he was going to paint the Alabama "A" logo on the underside on the body in a place it would never be seen. I told him to go right ahead if that made him finish faster or do a better job....and he did! (All in good natured fun. I may very well have to disassemble the car when I get it home to take care of this though! haha I thought it was funny he did that.)

MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's having some fun! Nice!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a guy that loves his car more than football! That's a mouthful for anyone in the SEC.
    My hat's off to you for your sense of humor!

Being a TN Vol, Alabama is one of our major rivals too. (Hummm, come to think of it though, almost every team in the SEC is a major rival.)
    Don't know if I could have held up under the strain of having that 'A' on my car. :-)

By the way, that is one beautiful car! Outstanding build and color scheme. I'm using your, and edwardb's thread (and a few other folk's sections) to help with the 1000 decisions and choices here in the planning stage. Thanks for taking the time to document and post. Great stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    There is a guy that loves his car more than football! That's a mouthful for anyone in the SEC.
    My hat's off to you for your sense of humor!

Being a TN Vol, Alabama is one of our major rivals too. (Hummm, come to think of it though, almost every team in the SEC is a major rival.)
    Don't know if I could have held up under the strain of having that 'A' on my car. :-)

By the way, that is one beautiful car! Outstanding build and color scheme. I'm using your, and edwardb's thread (and a few other folk's sections) to help with the 1000 decisions and choices here in the planning stage. Thanks for taking the time to document and post. Great stuff!
    For the record I despise the tide with everything I have in me! In this case I just consider it as the artist signing his work. I did everything on this car other than the bodywork so if that "A" is on there where it will never be seen and put there by the only other guy to really contribute to the project I can live with that. Haha
    (Of course there is an entire group of hard working guys at Whitby that has contributed and I appreciate them all. Brooks just gets the signature this time!)

Post Thanks / Like
    For the record I despise the tide with everything I have in me! In this case I just consider it as the artist signing his work. I did everything on this car other than the bodywork so if that "A" is on there where it will never be seen and put there by the only other guy to really contribute to the project I can live with that. Haha
    (Of course there is an entire group of hard working guys at Whitby that has contributed and I appreciate them all. Brooks just gets the signature this time!)
    Besides, you won't be able to see the artistic signature under multiple coats of under body bed liner!!!!
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 04-09-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

garage wall decor

In my effort to keep myself occupied until the car comes back I noticed FFR was selling these metal signs on their website for only $20. I ordered one and used some of my paint color samples I had and painted it to match the car. Looks nice on the garage wall.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/15-f...l-garage-sign/

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that's just cool! I think I'll order two of those. One for me, and one for my good friend who is responsible for my gear head resurgence, Cobra infection, and contributor to my general delinquency.
    He is the proud builder and owner of one of the very early FF roadsters. Built it almost 20 years ago doing the donor car route. The car is just a beast and has held up well logging quite a few miles.
    He is already assisting with planning my build and will be heavily involved throughout. He's a brilliant old school gear head and is looking forward to the new build almost as much as I am.
    Good friends like him are rare in one's life. Good friends like him, with skills, are a blessing!
    If he's agreeable, and I can figure out how to post pics, I'll start a new thread with some shots of his roadster.

Thanks for posting the sign!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Didn't know they had those. I just ordered one too. Will look good next to my "Built Not Bought" sign. Maybe in Candy Red?

Clearly you have too much time on your hands waiting for your body to come back from paint.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my effort to keep myself occupied until the car comes back I noticed FFR was selling these metal signs on their website for only $20. I ordered one and used some of my paint color samples I had and painted it to match the car. Looks nice on the garage wall.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/15-f...l-garage-sign/

You should send one of these to your painter friend Brooks in your colors with an Auburn logo right on the front where he can enjoy it!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Nice! Didn't know they had those. I just ordered one too. Will look good next to my "Built Not Bought" sign. Maybe in Candy Red?

Clearly you have too much time on your hands waiting for your body to come back from paint.
    Ha clearly! My build thread is slowly morphing into a Cobra lifestyle blog these past few months as I have been waiting and finding side projects to keep me occupied! Hoping to get back to the actual build portion of this thread really soon with some actual progress towards completion!! I will have to update my index to include post 410-490 - general bullcrap to kill time waiting for the body to be finished. haha

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it and just asked Ron to grab me one next time he's at FFR. Told him I'll pick it up when I come for the open house but until then just leave it out in the rain to rust---that'll fit my "not a waxer" theme better than matching paint

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha clearly! My build thread is slowly morphing into a Cobra lifestyle blog these past few months as I have been waiting and finding side projects to keep me occupied! Hoping to get back to the actual build portion of this thread really soon with some actual progress towards completion!! I will have to update my index to include post 410-490 - general bullcrap to kill time waiting for the body to be finished. haha
    Nurtured and supported largely by some fine folks who's builds have either completed, or have yet to start,...I suspect. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Paint work done and body install has begun

Got some more pictures today.

Pretty impressed with the finish on this mirror... I mean the rear quarter!

Here are a couple more:

This one they had just positioned the body on the chassis to start final install. Shouldn't be long now.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Slowly building inspiration to build my own. Your car looks awesome! Thanks again for all the fantastic photo's and information.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like that color!!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!
    SO what is the process when you realize the paint looks so good that you are now scared to drive it?
    Living in a college town has some dangers. If one of those texting/selfie taking/ snap chatting sorority girls hits me while playing with her phone Im gonna lose it! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    SO what is the process when you realize the paint looks so good that you are now scared to drive it?
    That is when you end up like my friend Bart. It made him so nuts that he sold his gorgeous black/red stripe roadster with <500 miles on it and bought a Jeep (BTW, we're in a college town also!). He's told me at least 20 times "I wish I had done like you. I'd have saved $10,000 and be having a lot more fun." Don't be like Bart---drive it!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Final assembly continues

Sorry if Im wearing y'all out with pictures. It is so exciting to me to see the progress. Daily update shows the final assembly continuing. I really appreciate the guys at Whitby sending me the pics. I went with their upgraded side vents and had them painted to match the body color. You can see them in the second picture. Their process also seems to be to attach the hood scoop late in the game. They said mine was simple with the thick stripe because that made it all one color.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it, unless you have a blower/supercharger or carb/ITB setup under that hood scoop, it's a better idea to block it off to keep the engine bay low pressure so it's easier for the motor to breathe. Pushing all that air down from the top will push the air out the bottom, instead of letting it get sucked into the cold air intake. Your motor isn't air-cooled, and having a high-pressure area right behind the radiator can reduce the efficiency of the radiator.

Probably not a serious consideration for a car that will get driven once or twice a week on the street, but if you're going to do some commuting or spending some time on the track, it might be an issue.
    Am I wrong? What does the forum think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds logical to me. This car won't see the track so I am not concerned about it.

Makes me wonder if instead of blocking it off if some people just attach the scoop without cutting a hole in the hood?

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea, but a set of velocity stacks would sure look great inside that hood scoop

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry if Im wearing y'all out with pictures. It is so exciting to me to see the progress. Daily update shows the final assembly continuing. I really appreciate the guys at Whitby sending me the pics. I went with their upgraded side vents and had them painted to match the body color. You can see them in the second picture. Their process also seems to be to attach the hood scoop late in the game. They said mine was simple with the thick stripe because that made it all one color.

One: I don't think it's possible to wear us out with photos like that!
    Two: DANG! That is one beautiful car!
    Three: The only thing that would make that car better is if it were being delivered to my house! I am sooooo envious! Love those colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same fear after completing mine. But it doesn't take long for the fun of driving to overshadow it. I got a rock chip on the very first drive, so to heck with it, it's Gonna happen. So now I drive it like I stole it!

Bob

Thanks guys!
    Living in a college town has some dangers. If one of those texting/selfie taking/ snap chatting sorority girls hits me while playing with her phone Im gonna lose it! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, square tube frame. Must be a MKIII. I think you might have too much bulb seal. Body seems to be sitting a little high on the frame, IMO. After looking at all the 18" wheels, those original 15s look so small. Great paint though. Can't wait to see her finished.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    No pictures today but got the word from Whitby and the transport company that I use they will be picking the car up next Thursday and delivering it to me either next Thursday or Friday. Here I am again back to day 1 waiting for my delivery! I think this time the anticipation level is even higher!!
    Next Friday is the 21st. I will be off work from then until the 29th. Hope to have the car finished by the 29th and then it will just be waiting for the state to approve my application for the VIN number so I can go get it inspected and registered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, Great you are almost there. When the delivery takes place, I'd put a plate on it and go for a drive!

Congrats, it's a great car and the color is awesome!

Len
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_d View Post
    As I understand it, unless you have a blower/supercharger or carb/ITB setup under that hood scoop, it's a better idea to block it off to keep the engine bay low pressure so it's easier for the motor to breathe. Pushing all that air down from the top will push the air out the bottom, instead of letting it get sucked into the cold air intake. Your motor isn't air-cooled, and having a high-pressure area right behind the radiator can reduce the efficiency of the radiator.

Probably not a serious consideration for a car that will get driven once or twice a week on the street, but if you're going to do some commuting or spending some time on the track, it might be an issue.
    Am I wrong? What does the forum think?
    I am far from an expert on this subject, but it has been beaten around in other threads for some time. You can do a search on this and "that other" forum. You will find photos, opinions, speculations, facts, both reasonable and questionable. After reading a lot of them quite a while ago, allow me to summarize what I read: Do whatever you like, it doesn't make much difference that anyone has been able to definitively prove. There is so much air moving in and around the engine and radiator that it doesn't seem to matter that much. I know from my own build that if you use a coyote engine, the air intake is forward and left of the hood scoop area. There are a lot of decisions and choices that go into these projects, but this one doesn't need to take up much brain time!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't take much brain time to think about it. I DID say it probably wasn't a serious consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

paperwork and pictures

I got another batch of pictures today. It looks amazing. Whitby has made an appointment Monday for alignment at a local shop they use and then their work should be complete. My shipper is picking it up Thursday and will have it to me next Thursday or Friday.

I mailed in my required paperwork for the state to get started on the registration process. In Alabama you submit an application for them to issue you a VIN and title. Then when they approve your application you take it to the state inspector and he will attach the VIN plate and then I can get the license plate at my local tag office. Part of the documentation required is a builders affidavit that lists everything you used. One thing they required was a receipt for the motor showing the serial number. I noticed my coyote receipt did not show a serial number so I called the retailer and asked if they had one associated with my order number. They indicated I needed to call Ford tech support. When I called Ford they indicated the Coyote crate motors do not have serial numbers on them. (randomly the same guy answered that helped me with my wiring harness issue so that was kind of funny). Since the motors where never installed in a car they do not stamp a number on them. Ford emailed me a letter to submit explaining why there was no serial number. The state bureaucracy makes me nervous! Hopefully this will be sufficient to satisfy them. I really included a ton of information and documentation with that affidavit. My strategy was to overwhelm them with information so when they open my package and see how thorough it is they will quickly give it the stamp of approval instead of taking the time to read it all. haha Hopefully that is a sound strategy!

I have called twice inquiring how long the approval process will take. One guy said " a while", the lady I talked to today said "depends on how many we have, maybe a month". I am planning on being ready for inspection in 2 weeks so figured I'd go ahead and send it now in an effort to streamline the timeline as much as possible. I have consulted with the inspector that will look at my car numerous times throughout the build. He has been appreciative of my effort to be properly prepared for him and my interest in building within all the rules. I am hopeful that pays off come inspection time as well! Try to grease the wheels as much as I can along the way! ha

Well here are the pics:

Last edited by wareaglescott; 04-15-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Even Better Than Your Original Mock Up Model!

Wow, Wow & Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning! Really nice job.

Again Congrats!

Len
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks fantastic.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the nice comments!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks amazing! I see they drilled the holes and mounted the scoop. Finally... Now for the license plate light. Not my thing to be laying out and drilling on finished paint, but I guess they've done a few of these. Hopefully your inspection and registration will go smoothly. I received a letter today from the Michigan Secretary of State office saying my application had been processed and they would be contacting me "soon" with the VIN tag and title. Progress. We may end up being legal and driving about the same time after all.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looks amazing! I see they drilled the holes and mounted the scoop. Finally... Now for the license plate light. Not my thing to be laying out and drilling on finished paint, but I guess they've done a few of these. Hopefully your inspection and registration will go smoothly. I received a letter today from the Michigan Secretary of State office saying my application had been processed and they would be contacting me "soon" with the VIN tag and title. Progress. We may end up being legal and driving about the same time after all.
    Great news you heard from the state Paul! What will the license plate say?

I will be doing the license plate light. How it sits now they are done with their assembly work. I am nervous about drilling into the body for that! Will be slow and careful. Also will have to drill to mount the lights I guess. Everything I am installing the part will cover the holes so hopefully it will go ok.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast