Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    I haven't seen any dyno results between J-pipes and the full flow Stainless headers but do have some seat of pants experience. J-pipes are very restrictive. I too recommend the Stainless headers.

After having done several Coyote powered cars with 4 into 4s I was kind of unimpressed by the configuration and obvious restrictions of the J-pipe setup when I had one in for body & paint recently. I noticed a tremendous difference in sound between the J pipes and 4 into 4s as well.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    After having done several Coyote powered cars with 4 into 4s I was kind of unimpressed by the configuration and obvious restrictions of the J-pipe setup when I had one in for body & paint recently. I noticed a tremendous difference in sound between the J pipes and 4 into 4s as well.

Jeff
    I don't feel I am lacking power although I don't doubt the other configuration would give me more. With that being said seeing that I can barely even get a wrench on some of the header bolts I have zero desire to swap them out. Certainly for anyone reading this planning a future build that would be the way to go. I will just continue to adjust mine periodically as needed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like

J-pipe failure

5755 miles

Welds on the J-pipe failed for the 2nd time causing an exhaust leak.

The engine seemed to be a little off so I sent a data log to Lund racing who did my tune and their analysis showed an exhaust leak on the drivers side upstream of the O2 sensor. Sure enough they nailed that diagnosis. Fascinates me that the data shows stuff like that. This pipe pictured had previously broke and been rewelded.

As a reminder I have welded in the Flowmaster slimline mufflers into the side pipes. They are quite a bit heavier than the stock pipes. I made some supports I documented in post 654.
    Seems like the weight may still be to much for the structural limits of the J-pipes. If I had it to do over again I would definitely start with 4 into 4 headers vs my shorty header/ j-pipe set up.

I have replaced the broken J-pipe with a new one and it is good for now. Feel like this will happen again eventually. Considering a change to better headers and eliminating the J-pipe but really unsure about getting the existing headers out and the new ones in without pulling the motor out at least part way to access the bolts and I really don't want to get into that right now. Probably will go that route next time they break.

If you are reading this and are planning a build I would recommend avoiding the J-pipe.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    If you are reading this and are planning a build I would recommend avoiding the J-pipe.
    I was shocked at how obviously restrictive the J pipes (they really ought to call them "L" pipes because of the abrupt and pinched 90 degree turn) the first time I got a Coyote car in with that setup. Also noticed how much different the sound was in comparison to 4 into 4 Coyotes...not in a good way. Of course it's easy for me to spend someone else's money

No offense intended but that weld is not exactly stellar. Are you sure that stainless rod was used?

Good luck Scott!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I was shocked at how obviously restrictive the J pipes (they really ought to call them "L" pipes because of the abrupt and pinched 90 degree turn) the first time I got a Coyote car in with that setup. Also noticed how much different the sound was in comparison to 4 into 4 Coyotes...not in a good way. Of course it's easy for me to spend someone else's money

No offense intended but that weld is not exactly stellar. Are you sure that stainless rod was used?

Good luck Scott!

Jeff
    That weld was an emergency roadside repair from a local that happened to save my bacon when it broke the first time and I was stranded. The welder never claimed to be a great welder but did what he could to get me on the road and home again. I didn't really care how it looked either as long as it worked. When that happened I got a second set of J-pipes with the intention of swapping them out. As it was working good I just left it as is. Now that it is broken I have put the new one into service. Will see what happens with that.

I understand it is restrictive and the performance gain would be better with a different setup. However I have never felt lacking for power and the cost and pain in the rear factor to swap the headers with the limited access to the header bolts has me not all that excited to undertake it. If the new ones break I suspect I will have to go that route.

Any desire to come to Alabama for the weekend Jeff? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    I was also upset during my build in 2012 with how restrictive the J's are. Fortunately, Stainless Header started to offer the 4x1x4 header for the Coyote/MkIV. I threw down the $$$ for a set and never looked back. They are beautifully constructed but unfortunately hard to see once the body is on.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on WarEagle, pry open that wallet!! You will love a set of 4 into 4 stainless headers. Look great, sound great, Don't break!! Replacing them won't be a lot of fun, but at least you will only have to do it once, and you have that nice pair of lifts to get to it easily.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing to enjoy the car. Up to 6548 miles. No major issues.

I installed a new alternator today. It is a M-8600-M50BALT from Ford performance. I previously thought I had been having an issue with a squeaky belt and have replaced mine twice now. Turns out is was the alternator going bad. Got in contact with Ford performance and they sent me out a new one and I am shipping the bad one back to them. When I took the belt off and turned the alternator by hand I could hear the noise and obviously it was amplified when it was turning at engine speeds. New one installed and tested and everything is working as it should. Glad to have that taken care of and am ready for some spring weather and plenty of driving in the near future.

In other new I am knee deep in my 1979 911 rebuild. Almost 200 hours of labor in. (I am keeping track this time as many people asked how long the Cobra took and I really had no idea on hours) The car is completely stripped down and away at the painter for a while. I am now working on the engine doing some upgrades and reconditioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareaglescott's first post in his build thread...
    "I have absolutely zero experience doing anything like this."
    "I have zero experience with a project of this magnitude."
    "There is no way I could do this without all the information I have learned from the forum."

Then, in his last post, admittedly a few years later...
    "I am knee deep in my 1979 911 rebuild."
    "The car is completely stripped down and away at the painter for a while. I am now working on the engine doing some upgrades and reconditioning."

You've come a long way, Scott. Aint being a mechanic fun?!?!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

10. Likes WIS89, CdnCarNut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Wareaglescott's first post in his build thread...
    "I have absolutely zero experience doing anything like this."
    "I have zero experience with a project of this magnitude."
    "There is no way I could do this without all the information I have learned from the forum."

Then, in his last post, admittedly a few years later...
    "I am knee deep in my 1979 911 rebuild."
    "The car is completely stripped down and away at the painter for a while. I am now working on the engine doing some upgrades and reconditioning."

You've come a long way, Scott. Aint being a mechanic fun?!?!
    Ha thanks man. If you read the first post on the porsche forum build thread it reads pretty much the same as the first post here. Difference this time is I have the confidence to know it will work out in the end vs last time when I was scared to death I would end up with a non functioning pile of parts!!

Porsche thread in case anyone is interested:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ld-thread.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Now they're just gonna be non-functioning German parts! "Where's the damn lichtmaschine?!?!"

Seriously. You've built a beautiful, powerful machine and I have no doubt your 911 will be the same if not better. Now we're gonna get you wrenching on some freight dogs...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Non Cobra update.
    My 911 project is coming along. The Porsche forum is running a build thread contest. If anyone is willing to go over and vote for me I would appreciate it.
    I am also wareaglescott over there.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...vote-here.html

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Vote Has Been Cast Brother Scott!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-01-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the votes. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven’t already, look up singervehicledesign.com for some inspiration on redone 911’s. Amazing!
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecobr View Post
    If you haven’t already, look up singervehicledesign.com for some inspiration on redone 911’s. Amazing!
    I am quite familiar with them. Those are the dream! Out of my league.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gave you a vote as well. Good luck!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Warscotteagle, you are my inspiration. I have zero mechanical training (like when you started this project) and, I just bought my kit. I hope mine looks half as good as yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by extradc View Post
    Warscotteagle, you are my inspiration. I have zero mechanical training (like when you started this project) and, I just bought my kit. I hope mine looks half as good as yours.
    Appreciate the kind words. I had hoped my build thread would speak to others who have never attempted this sort of thing before either. With the help of the collective group of people on the forum you can build a great car!

Post Thanks / Like

7500 mile update

Rolled over 7500 miles this morning.
    Car continues to be a dream. Really not much new to report. Runs flawlessly. No new issues or fixes to discuss at this time. No real plans to make any changes soon. I have been keeping busy on my 1979 911 project so that has reduced my mileage accumulation on the Cobra a bit. Still try to get it out for about 50-100 miles a week. Still find myself driving at times with the biggest, goofiest smile on my face and almost in disbelief I actually went from know nothing beginner to a completed build. Never would have made it without all the great people on the forum.

23. Likes Mark Eaton, SSNK4US, PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice milestone! Good to hear all is still working well. I'm a couple thousand behind you. Similar story. Working perfectly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear that everything is working well as I copied a lot of things you and edwardb did. And thank you for sharing your build. Your thread really helped me especially with your index in post #1.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Good to hear that everything is working well as I copied a lot of things you and edwardb did. And thank you for sharing your build. Your thread really helped me especially with your index in post #1.
    Glad the index was useful. I spent so much time looking for stuff in other build threads I thought it would be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am waaaaaay behind you! I rolled over 2000 before God turned on the afterburners here in Scottsdale. Now Fliptop is all packed away for at least another 7-8 weeks. I can't wait to pull her back out and drive her again! Glad you are having no problems. Proves you did a good job and the product/support in the build process was good too.

I can't remember: where is your build thread for the Porsche 911?
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobras slightly snooty European brother decided to come back home today after a long trip to the paint shop!

29. Likes MSumners, FlyFactoryFive, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Scott! They're going to make an awesome pair...now for the trifecta get that Bronco from your neighbor!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Now the fun starts. I’m jealous.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. Great to see you finally have it back. Good luck getting it back together. I mean that in the most positive way possible.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Scott! They're going to make an awesome pair...now for the trifecta get that Bronco from your neighbor!

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. That is actually my buddies 73 Bronco. He came over to help me push. I enjoy all the fun in it without the agony of ownership. haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Thanks Jeff. That is actually my buddies 73 Bronco. He came over to help me push. I enjoy all the fun in it without the agony of ownership. haha

Tell your buddy I like it! I love the old Broncos and did a glass body one about 4 years ago:

What's next on the Porsche? Engine ready? What will the order of reassembly be from here?

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins!

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember seeing the shell sitting next to the booth at Whitby's, looking solid and about ready to go in. Glad to see it's home!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome
    Now the fun really starts.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like

What's next on the Porsche? Engine ready? What will the order of reassembly be from here?

Jeff

I love this Bronco. What year is it?
    I want.....
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    I love this Bronco. What year is it?
    I want.....
    The chassis is old, '67 I think, with all new Duff suspension, Ford 9 inch in back and Dana 44 in front, big discs all around, EFI 5.0 with electronic controlled AOD. Body is an old fiberglass tub of undetermined origin with fenders, door cutouts and hood from other manufacturers (that made for some challenges in fitting and matching) and a new steel tailgate.

Sorry for the hijack Scott

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I have a Mk4 (purchased) turned into a race car but for the side impact safety feature of crossbars. In your Fred Flintstone picture, alongside your left leg you see the crossbars. Will they be covered by the body? I'm thinking the reason I don't see mine is because they are below or inside the body panels. Any suggestions how to retrofit cross bars higher in the driver door for side impact?
    Doug Tally
    [email protected]
    Detroit

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a long time since I updated this thread.
    The Cobra has about 8500 miles on it and continues to bring a smile to my face with every drive. Only repetitive issue is those darn J-pipes to side pipes and the need to adjust them periodically. Also I had the flow master slimline muffers welded into the pipes and they were great at first but I swear they have gotten quite a bit louder over time. Was not expecting that but I guess it happens. The noise level is approaching unenjoyable again. I am still diligently working away on my 911 build. Below is a YouTube update on the progress. Whitby turned out another spectacular paint job for me. Once I finish this up I intend to address the side pipes on the Cobra with probably something completely new from the headers on back! Anyways if anyone is locked in due to the virus scare and wants to watch a 2 minute youtube on the 911 build here it is! Check me out on instagram @scottsrides for numerous build updates and Cobra action.

https://youtu.be/8tHllveQ4zM

edit - hey I just noticed that is my 2000 post. What an awesome community we have here. I never could have built this car from my beginner status without the help I got here and continue to enjoy the friendships and interactions with those I have met here! Cheers to everyone!
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-23-2020 at 11:48 AM.

42. Likes PeteMeindl, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need one of these to round-out the fleet with respect to paint color.

AF17C2D4-AC5B-4648-B07B-8B615A6E8770.jpeg

"Carpets are dirty ...time to break out the war eagle."
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the update. The 911 looks amazing, I love the seats!
    I'm sorry to hear about the flowmaster slimlines because I actually just had those welded into my side pipes last weekend... I was hoping that they would last forever.
    I was actually just reading through your build thread and saw that you had them ceramic coated. Can I ask where you got them done and if that has held up? Any regrets there? I've read about jet-hot, but they are located far from me and I'm wondering if a local place using cerakote will be just as good.
    Thanks! -David
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast