Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AWIC: Plummed in for a heater core?

Post Thanks / Like

AWIC: Plummed in for a heater core?

I am looking to get some heat into my 818 cabin and was looking at using the hot side of the water to air inter cooler to heat the heater core. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing this? I am wondering if it would provide enough heat to power the small heater core from FFR roadster.

I don't think there would be any restriction to the flow and it would potentially even provide slightly increased cooling as it travels through the heater core

The reason I am thinking of this rather than the main line is the simplicity of the AWIC lines versus the coolant lines

Let me know what you guys think and if this would be a good option

Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    The AWIC will probably not get hot enough to provide anything more than warm air. The heat will also be very inconsistent.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Craig. I would just use the factory heater core lines from the engine, in place of the U-shaped bypass hose FFR provides in the kit. Run the lines into the cabin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea the inconsistent heat would be an issue. I unfortunately tossed the heater core from the donor as I didn't think I would be needing heat. Would there be a flow restriction issue if I were to plum into the main line headed to the radiator?

Does anyone know of any electric ceramic heater meant for this purpose, as potentially used in some hot rods etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a higher flow awic pump than most. The temp out of my AWIC is less than 5 degrees above ambient.

On a cold day, Driving the car easy isn't going to get you any heat.

We mounted a heater core in the side sale connected to the normal heater pipes. Never got a chance to hook up a blower and ducting.

P1050686s.jpg P1050688s.jpg

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iblackwe View Post
    Would there be a flow restriction issue if I were to plum into the main line headed to the radiator?
    Do not plumb the heater core in series with the radiator, this would create a major flow restriction and probably cause engine cooling issues. The stock setup has the heater core in parallel with the radiator.

Have you thought about using electric seat warmers?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it might cause issues. I do have the stock seats and seat heaters and hopefully they will keep us warm enough because it looks like this is more of a hassle than I had thought

Post Thanks / Like
    If you plumb a heater core with the donor heater pipes from the engine, you'll need a heater control valve that opens and closes to supply/stop hot water to the heater. But every heater control valve I could find stopped all water flow, thus causing trouble with the Subaru engine. I plumbed in a bypass between the heater hoses but the better solution is to add the Heater Bypass Valve from Myraceshop.com, which I will do soon. http://www.myraceshop.com/Heater_Bypass_Valve.html

Or, as STiWRD says, look at electric seat heaters. Inexpensive, easy to install and work well unless you live in the Yukon.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Or, as STiWRD says, look at electric seat heaters. Inexpensive, easy to install and work well unless you live in the Yukon.
    Electric seat heaters alone are quite effective (more so than forced air when top down). My wife has a vert, and the seat heaters are all we need to keep warm top-down into the 40's (which is just about all the time in our climate). If you're planning on a full 4 season car with a soft/hard top, you might want more, but seat heaters are all I'm doing in my 818 as it's purely a fair weather open top car.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea I actually have seat heaters already from the stock WRX seats and thankfully I live in Alberta... Just a little warmer. I am going to give the seat heaters a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the input and I'll keep everyone updated if I find something else that will work

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I have a higher flow awic pump than most. The temp out of my AWIC is less than 5 degrees above ambient.

On a cold day, Driving the car easy isn't going to get you any heat.

We mounted a heater core in the side sale connected to the normal heater pipes. Never got a chance to hook up a blower and ducting.

P1050686s.jpg P1050688s.jpg

Bob
    I did something similar in my MK-4.
    See the "Chevy Cobra Heater Gallery" if you want to see my Jerry Rig.
    PS: Sorry Jerry!

Post Thanks / Like
    iblackwe,
    check out my thread, I just installed a vintage air heater, easy to do. i want to be comfortable in cooler weather. I will be adding seat heaters as well.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015