Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Interesting article from "Classic Motorsports" in 2008

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article from "Classic Motorsports" in 2008

I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent atircle, spot on.....who's Mark Weber?, I know Mark and dave Smith...........Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    excellent atircle, spot on.....who's Mark Weber?, I know Mark and dave Smith...........Steven
    Wonderd that too. says here he was the Director of Marketing for FFR

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-weber/9/459/84
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BLTFRDTUF View Post
    Wonderd that too. says here he was the Director of Marketing for FFR

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-weber/9/459/84
    He was the MARKETING guy for FFR from I think 1997 until I believe it was the middle of 2009. Good guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice read, and clearly states the case - you don't own a 427 sideoiler CSX, it owns you. But - if you build your own, you can easily build it better. A more modern, more powerful, lighter weight motor will do the job every time.

Replica cars haven't ruined things for the originals. They've kept them in the public eye and increased the market value for those old veterans by enlarging the number of bidders who are willing to pay more for one. I don't see the same thing happening for Cosworth Vegas or even Sunbeam Tigers. They aren't commanding prices in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If not for replicas, Cobras would be trading in the $60-100k market, like all the other hybrids - an American engine in a Brit made '50s replica of what? A Ferrari Barchetta. I'm not much for lighting a candle at the altar of the 427, it was a truck motor then and now, and it wasn't the car that won the FIA championship. That was done with a 289, which in typical American style, gets much less respect than it earned.

What's interesting in the article is that the Windsor block is now the most popular choice in Ford replicas, and until 2009, the Ford engine in NASCAR. It went decades longer winning races - not that anyone seems to want to admit.

Ironically, replicas and Windsor blocks are the foundation of what Cobra owners cash in when they sell. Both create the broader public appeal they enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray, for posting that article. Ever since I Saw an article in Road & Track on the Cobra the hook was set. Even though I was just a kid then, and could never afford one, that dream of owning one has never gone away. Now that I'm older, it's good to know that Factory Five and the good people here on this forum can help bring those dreams to life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Webber worked at FFR until sometime in 2009. He moved to RI and may now live somewhere else. A great guy to work with.
    Doug

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. Thanks, Ray. That was pretty interesting. I think they did a fairly unbiased estimate of the two machines. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046