I know that at least one other person registered their car in Illinois, but I thought I would share my experience.

Taxes is the PITA. I paid taxes on my donor when I transferred it to my name with a junk title. And I knew that I would have to pay taxes on the kit. The problem is that since it took me two years to complete my build the IL Dept. of Revenue tacked on about 20% in interest and penalties or about $135. I was pissed, but the budget on this blown about a year ago so I took the attitude that what is another $135. My advice is to pay the taxes right away and KEEP PROOF. It won't be on your FFR receipt and they will require proof.

$196 for the license and registration plus proof of taxes.

The inspection was easy. Windshield wipers are required even though it was not on the state checklist. When I made the appointment I asked him what most guys forget and he told me the wipers. Fortunately, I had purchased the FFR wiper kit. It wasn't completely installed, but I had it most of the way there before he got there. He understood that I didn't want to cut the hood in a hurry and approved my vehicle anyway.

He inspected it on a Saturday and I had plates by Wednesday. The only downside was that I didn't have insurance in place when the plates arrived because it was so quick. That didn't take long either.