Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Illinois Taxes, Inspection and Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Illinois Taxes, Inspection and Registration

I know that at least one other person registered their car in Illinois, but I thought I would share my experience.

Taxes is the PITA. I paid taxes on my donor when I transferred it to my name with a junk title. And I knew that I would have to pay taxes on the kit. The problem is that since it took me two years to complete my build the IL Dept. of Revenue tacked on about 20% in interest and penalties or about $135. I was pissed, but the budget on this blown about a year ago so I took the attitude that what is another $135. My advice is to pay the taxes right away and KEEP PROOF. It won't be on your FFR receipt and they will require proof.

$196 for the license and registration plus proof of taxes.

The inspection was easy. Windshield wipers are required even though it was not on the state checklist. When I made the appointment I asked him what most guys forget and he told me the wipers. Fortunately, I had purchased the FFR wiper kit. It wasn't completely installed, but I had it most of the way there before he got there. He understood that I didn't want to cut the hood in a hurry and approved my vehicle anyway.

He inspected it on a Saturday and I had plates by Wednesday. The only downside was that I didn't have insurance in place when the plates arrived because it was so quick. That didn't take long either.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write down your experience for us. I have documented the process pretty well in another post and I really was not given the option to pay taxes up front. Allen, the head of constructed in Springfield from my post, said that he was putting everything in a file. I'm supposed to pay upon completion of the kit. I have to pay tax on FFR parts, engine, trans, and any other "major component". I was worried that I was going to get slammed by a fee, but he said "how can we charge you proper tax on something not completed". I'm betting that you had a less then informed employee on you hands unfortunately.

On a lighter note, YOUR DONE! No more BS to deal with! Sounds like the safety sticker was an easy process!

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ss-in-Illinois

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaw777, do you happen to know if we have to pass emissions with our 818? I know my buddy with a cobra doesn't, but he also was registered under a mid 60's reproduction kit. I think were different as the kit is not a reproduction of anything under Illinois DMV law.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I talked to the guy in Springfield and the guy who did the inspection they said they didn't know. The guy in Springfield said that it would be titled as a 2016 vehicle so I didn't have to worry about it for 4 years. Recently, I asked a Subaru mechanic about what the computer would tell the DMV if they hooked it up to their computers. He said that it appeared that with my current tune that my car would pass emissions. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you post some pictures and specifics of your car? Do you know if you're allowed to run a harness? I contacted the custom vehicle secretary of state in Springfield, and they told me you can use manual wipers, but it's up to the secretary of state police for the final say.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently working through the Illinois tax/title/registration. I have all my paperwork submitted and finally ready for the state inspection. For the seat belts - I do believe that retractable is a MUST.

As for emissions, it should be easy to pass (if needed). I have an 03 WRX that I have deleted TGVs, catless, and deleted all things relating to the emissions charcoal box. My fuel tank is vented atmospherically, instead of going through the EVAP/scrubber and associated solenoids. Via open source tuning on the stock ECU, you can turn off all check engine lights associated with those removed items and put the ECU in a "force pass" mode. It is easy to do and I would be willing to help if needed as I have a Tactrix cable and have done this multiple times. If you have a check engine light when you go through emissions, you fail. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, keep us updated axe! Sounds like you know how to massage the emission fairies. It's ridiculous... in the past year they have removed one DMV and 1 testing station that I go to. This whole car thing in Illinois is getting really inconvenient with all the associated cutbacks. Michigan was a peach to title when I did it back in college.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in Chicago land this no emissions. Ogle county inspector said harnesses are fine.