Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New owner has questions

Post Thanks / Like

New owner has questions

Hi Everyone!
    I just bought a GTM on ebay that belonged to a Philly High school previously. I am told it had a VW TDI diesel for power when they built it. There is no engine, transaxle, seats, dash, and the radiator is not only missing, there is no evidence they ever had one! The opening it the bumper area has been crudely filled with fiberglass, and the chassis opening has been closed up with aluminum. I am going to need a lot of stuff, and a lot of help!

First question - How do you remove the rear body section? I was told by the guy I bought it from that it was easy. I bought the assembly manual (quite a "war and peace" read!), and it looks like there are a lot of rivets holding it. Is it worth my time to remove it for mechanical and paint? From the looks of the overspray in the wheel wells, the previous owners painted it on the chassis.

Second - In the frame area where the motor mounts would go, there are triangle areas with a single hole on each side. These hole a about 17 inches apart. Is this where the motor mount studs go? My engine is from a 06 GTO, and that measurement is about 19 inches. Does this mean I have to modify the aluminum mounting brackets, or buy corvette brackets?

Third- I have been looking on Ebay for a radiator assembly, used. I will be using AC. I have seen some earlier ones with a plastic duct that scoops the air low from the opening that I have to remake. The assembly manual looks like this done, I think with sheet metal. What do you recomend?

I have many more questions, but this is enough to start with. Thanks in advance!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am correct that car was a one off unit. Maybe FFR can offer some advice as well as other GTM guys. Best of luck. IMO it would be best to take it down to the chassis and start over. Just my 2 -cents worth. I wish you the best in your new project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old Chevy Guy,

Taking the rear body off should not be difficult, and if you need to install the engine, transaxle, etc., you'll definitely want to remove it. Depending on how it was attached, there are usually fastening points (rivets, screws, etc) at the door sills and door pillars, at the very rear of the body, the door latches, and the hood latches. You'll likely need to remove some of the interior trim/closeout panels as well. Rivets are easy to remove and to reinstall. Start drilling! And you'll want 3-4 people to help get the body off once it's been freed.

The engine mount holes are designed for a GM LS engine, so anything else may require some fab skills.

For the radiator, a stock C5 radiator is all you need. Any air-handling is done with sheet metal, and you can likely get those one or two needed pieces from FFR.

Where are you located? If you're close to Clarksville MD you're welcome to come at take a close look at mine. PM me if you're interested.

Good Luck!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is built for your LS based GTO engine so the mounts should not be an issue unless the school modified them.

Take the body off. The car is very difficult to work with the body on. Start drilling rivets. Plan on opening the front up to get air into the radiator.

There is a corvette salvage yard called Contemporary Corvette in Bristol Pa.

Same as Rumrunners offer. I am in southern NJ if you want to take a look at the completed car.

Michael
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    The car you bought, if I remember correctly, was an electric car built by a high school and went to a nationwide competition where it did very well against cars built by all kinds of competitors, including some OEMs. I don't recall it having a diesel engine in it. The other forum should have some information on your particular car on it. It was black and I recall some pictures of it where all the front openings were duct taped over for aero dynamic efficiency.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot that the Philly school had more than one vehicle. This one is orange and is a hybrid...

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...0-mpg-run.html
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like that was just a new paint job on the same GTM, although they did have other cars that they built previously. Here is a link to some of the build thread and pictures of when it was in black with the taped nose...

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/42-fact...rise-team.html
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the nose opening was sealed off with fiberglass, not tape. It still has the top VW motor mount/crossmenber. Is there anyone out there that did not use a corvette LS engine? I think the motor mount spacing is different. I live in Watertown NY, 70 miles north of Syracuse. I wish you guys were closer. I would love to see your cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldchevyguy View Post
    Yes, the nose opening was sealed off with fiberglass, not tape. It still has the top VW motor mount/crossmenber. Is there anyone out there that did not use a corvette LS engine? I think the motor mount spacing is different. I live in Watertown NY, 70 miles north of Syracuse. I wish you guys were closer. I would love to see your cars!
    Sounds like a great project. I live in Marion, NY just 30 miles east of Rochester. If you are interested in seeing a completed GTM give me a call @ 315-576-4792.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark Dougherty might be able to help you. I know he worked with the highschool at least once, maybe twice on the projects.

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Was this for sale out of Ft. Myers???? Think I saw it on Craigs List not long ago
    Fred

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GTM #22 - Worlds slowest build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Brewer View Post
    Was this for sale out of Ft. Myers???? Think I saw it on Craigs List not long ago
    Yes Fred, it was from the Fort Myers, Punta Gorda Area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought so,,, you got a good deal on it!!!
    Fred

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GTM #22 - Worlds slowest build

Post Thanks / Like
    old chevy guy
    I will be happy to help you on what ever I can about that car.
    It is a gen 1 with a gen 2 body painted by the kids in the paint shop.
    It was built by high school kids supervised by adults on a high school budget.
    at 1 time it obtained well over 100 mpge,
    Using a 70 electric motor driving the front wheels, and a 250HP VW TDI driving the rears.
    it was a very fun and educational project.

Give me a ring and I will fill you in on what you have purchased.
    Mark D
    717-773-5624
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624