FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine CAD files

Post Thanks / Like

Engine CAD files

The below article is about a 3D printed EJ20. The more interesting part is that the article includes a link to the .stl CAD files. All the engine parts are there... block, piston, heads, crank, oil pan, water pump, etc.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...j20-3d-printed

It seems like we should have a section of the forum just for CAD files. Has anyone created a 3D file of the 818 frame?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I saw this question come up, I believe the answer was that only FFR has them and because they are their IP, they are unwilling to release them, understandably. I believe some forum member who is good friends with someone at FFR has a copy of them but won't release them due to agreement with FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR should sell 3D printed scaled versions of the 818.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR does not want detailed 3d files of the 818 distributed.

There are a couple of folks who have the FFR files. I do not. (Partner vendors as I understand)

I did remodel, CAD and 3d scanned, most of the car. Reverse engineering really isn't that difficult.

They have asked me not to distribute any of it. So I don't.

If all you want is to 3d print an 818 model, there are several freeware 3d scanner solutions that will get you there with little effort.

Load a ton of pictures of 818s from different angles and it will spit out a point mesh file of the car.

Then convert the .obj point mesh to .stl in Blender, or some other program, and print away.

Won't be detailed enough for any real engineering, but will get you a 818 model car.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Faro makes a free software that works with the xbox kinect scanner. The surfaces come out a bit rough, but dimensionally check out great, and even if you have to go to gamestop and buy a $30 kinect the results will be hard to beat for the price.