Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaking master cylinder?

Post Thanks / Like

Leaking master cylinder?

You can just faintly see a small leak coming from the bottom of the master cylinder. I've tracked this leak to the actual master cylinder. Above this area all fittings/junctions are tight and dry. When installing the master I used Mike Everson's bracket to level it out. That negated the metal gasket that came with the kit - or so I thought. Do I need to create a new gasket for the different bracket/master or is the actual master leaking?

Any recommendations for least messy way to remove & replace the master?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had that EXACT same problem last year after bleeding the master for the first time. Careful it might remove some of your black bed liner paint, well depends which braking fluid you got I guess.

My master was shot, bought a new one. Fairly easy to remove and install the new one, I did that with my windshield on. Actually ALL my build has been done with the windshield on except when I installed the front FW alu panels. Replaced the master twice, replaced the clutch master 3 times, fitted remote reservoir, removed it cuz bad lines, fitted normal online reservoirs, etc. I Went through all possible messes! loll

So the least messy way is to remove any pressure from the pedal pushrod, make sure you pull the rod a little so it's not stuck under pressure or something, remove your reservoir cap, either remove the hard line fitting at the master and let the stuff leak into a bowl or pinch the remote soft lines and remove them. You'll have some fluid in the master but not much. First option takes more time as gravity does it trick of pouring the fluid down your bowl, drop by drop. But overall I found that not messy.

There's also the Cheech and Chong way of doing it: remove the cap, put a hose in it and suck through it with your mouth until the fluid flows by itself. Not really the recommended way but hey, it's just another option!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021