Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM questions

Post Thanks / Like

GTM questions

Well, I finally got the wife to say yes to a GTM build. Woot! So now starts the arduous process of saving up for it. Some questions so I can start setting goals:

• For people driving GTM's: If you built a "stock" GTM (stock 350HP LS1/405 LS6, standard suspension, standard C5 Corvette parts), how satisfied are you with the driving experience? Under/over powered, sloppy/tight in the turns, brakes are insufficient/stops on a dime, uncomfortable, perfect driving machine? Personally, I want a machine that performs better than it looks (and it wouldn't hurt if it outperforms my friend's Ferrari's) but the wife wants something that costs less than a Corvette (she thinks money would be better spent on a finished product rather than DIY). Figured if it keeps costs down but still have a great driving machine, both of us will be happy. If not, then I'd rather budget now for LS7/Mendeola combo.
    • First time kit builder but some experience modifying cars (intake, cooling, and suspensions but knowledgeable in other areas). How much will I have to source out to professionals? The body seems to have the most issues from what I have read on here, not sure how easy it is to fix the issues though with my limited body work experience. Is this more of a patience vs skill build or is there skill required to have a good finished product.
    • FFR options: look mostly cosmetic stuff except the intake, the A/C system, and the telescopic steering adapter. A/C is a definite where I live, intake looks functional and good looking, and I'm not sure how useful/necessary the steering adapter is (not a small guy so it seems like a useful option). Thoughts?
    • I looked around but figured I ask: is there an automatic transmission variant anywhere (not looking for manual vs automatic preference, just looking for options)? I'm looking for a paddle shift design. The Mendeola sequential transmission seems to be a close second but I don't have any experience with sequential transmissions and I'm unsure if this is something I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pe-nut,

I can offer my opinions here for what they're worth. To set the stage, I built my GTM starting with the same skill set you describe, and between myself and one friend did everything, including bodywork and paint. So here you go:
    • Stock GTM - my car has the stock interior, stock brakes, non-telescoping steering column, and Porsche G50-20 transmission. I think the interior is just fine, though I have added a few cosmetic (and cheap) customizations. My longest drive was about 400 miles in a single day, and I felt about as comfortable as could be expected for that long of a ride. For shorter trips no problem at all. Braking is adequate - fortunately it's a light car. Proper front/rear bias adjustment is critical to prevent the rears from locking before the fronts - though that does make the driving experience more exciting . As for the suspension, I can not comment on the stock setup - I have the Genesis non-adjustable coil-overs sold by a vendor, and have included front and rear sway bars as well. That said, I am extremely pleased with how the car feels and handles - honestly it's far better than I imagined it would be. And for power, even though I have 550HP, I've got to believe that for normal spirited street driving 350HP is more than you'll need. At 350HP, with a 2500 pound finished weight, you'll have a weight-to-power ratio of 7.14 lbs/HP; compare this the Dodge Charger Hellcat at 6.5 lbs/HP or a Corvette Stingray at 7.3 lbs/HP and you'll see you right in line with them. And in my opinion, a Porsche transaxle should suit your build just fine. I suspect you'll likely be very happy with the stock power/trans options.

• First time builder with moderate skills is achievable. Learn some fiberglass skills (not hard) and you'll be well on your way. Mechanical and electrical are pretty straightforward. Final bodywork and painting may take more skill, but there are plenty of folks on the forum that will offer advice and tips/tricks to make it easier. I was lucky in that I found a friend that was an ex-bodywork guy and painter, and he helped me every step of the way. And many on this forum will attest that the job we did on the bodywork and paint (painted in my garage) is outstanding. Find a friend like that!

• As for the FFR options, I have the carbon fiber side rocker extensions and splitter, and I like both of those. Again in my opinion, save your money and don't buy their intake - easier and cheaper to make your own. As for the telescopic steering adapter, I have no direct experience, but would suggest that a removable steering wheel will make entry/exit much easier.

Bottom line is you can do it - though it will take more time and $$ than you think. Just like with any engineering project, scope creep can kill your wallet. I'd recommend only buying what you need when you need it, and make absolutely certain you need it before you buy it. Planning is a must. And don't go in thinking it is a "kit" - it is still a test of ingenuity, patience, and perseverance to complete one of these.

I'm happy to talk about my experiences building my GTM to give you more insight into the process if you want to chat - I know that those conversations helped me before I pulled the trigger. PM me and I'll send my number.

And finally, if you're at all interested in buying the finished product, I have mine for sale right now :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152187365484

or

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?21428-For-Sale-RumRunner-s-Gen-2-GTM-327

Good luck with your decision and your build!

-Michael

GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.
    Last edited by RumRunner; 08-01-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Performance Nut,

I can attest to the stock shock setup, thats the first thing you should change as far as i'm concerned. The new kits have the black koni's which are better. But still need to be changed. My kit was a Gen 1 which had the yellow koni' shocks and, oh, my, god...

I was driving around on Polish roads(so woeful roads in other words) at speeds lower than 30mph and i thought i was going to die. The suspension was set up correctly too! I upgraded to Bilsteins that Ted sells, these shocks were specifically tuned for the GTM and man, what a difference. Night and day difference in fact. These same roads, the speed limit was actually 45mph for them, and i could actually travel at those speeds with the Bilsteins. The car was soooo much more stable.

And with the horse power, yep, i can also attest that 350hp for the street is more than enough for the absolute stock GTM. However, if you mod it significantly like i have, and the cerb weight goes up, then i think you should start looking at 400 to 450hp to get the same level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Performance nut View Post
    Well, I finally got the wife to say yes to a GTM build. Woot! So now starts the arduous process of saving up for it. Some questions so I can start setting goals:

• For people driving GTM's: If you built a "stock" GTM (stock 350HP LS1/405 LS6, standard suspension, standard C5 Corvette parts), how satisfied are you with the driving experience? Under/over powered, sloppy/tight in the turns, brakes are insufficient/stops on a dime, uncomfortable, perfect driving machine? Personally, I want a machine that performs better than it looks (and it wouldn't hurt if it outperforms my friend's Ferrari's) but the wife wants something that costs less than a Corvette (she thinks money would be better spent on a finished product rather than DIY). Figured if it keeps costs down but still have a great driving machine, both of us will be happy. If not, then I'd rather budget now for LS7/Mendeola combo.
    • First time kit builder but some experience modifying cars (intake, cooling, and suspensions but knowledgeable in other areas). How much will I have to source out to professionals? The body seems to have the most issues from what I have read on here, not sure how easy it is to fix the issues though with my limited body work experience. Is this more of a patience vs skill build or is there skill required to have a good finished product.
    • FFR options: look mostly cosmetic stuff except the intake, the A/C system, and the telescopic steering adapter. A/C is a definite where I live, intake looks functional and good looking, and I'm not sure how useful/necessary the steering adapter is (not a small guy so it seems like a useful option). Thoughts?
    • I looked around but figured I ask: is there an automatic transmission variant anywhere (not looking for manual vs automatic preference, just looking for options)? I'm looking for a paddle shift design. The Mendeola sequential transmission seems to be a close second but I don't have any experience with sequential transmissions and I'm unsure if this is something I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for your input, that is totally awesome!!!

Rum: Couldn't avoid the Pe-nut reference eh. LOL. You have a really awesome car, the color scheme is extremely eye catching and just looks great. The list of upgrades is also impressive (shaved handles and capacitive locks wasn't something I considered but way cool because it works so darn well with the body lines). Why you would want to sell it and why it isn't gone is beyond me. As stated above, I'm just starting saving for mine so I'm not in the market to cash buy a GTM (regretfully).

Rev: Great feedback on the suspension, that is exactly what I was looking for. I had hunches that the "stock" configuration wasn't super status but definitely good (there are several sports cars I know of that are hard to handle on rough roads). With this power to weight ratio, brakes and suspension are a really high priority for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may consider purchasing an unfinished kit as well. I was super lucky to find mine for what I consider an outstanding price. I purchased my kit in December, and at that time there were 3 unfinished GTMs for sale.