Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is there a secret to gluing dash material to aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a secret to gluing dash material to aluminum?

I bought Jo Ann's black dash material for my build. Three attempts now and three failures. It just doesnt stick despite all the prepp work. I've used 3M 77, 3M 90 and weldwood contact cement. Is there some magical method or am I relegated to having apro do it. Frustrated as hell.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not familiar with Jo Ann's dash material, but if it is vinyl you may have to use a product like this: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...contact-cement. HTH Keith
    Last edited by progmgr1; 08-01-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect material your using may be the issue, not so much the adhesive, or as progmgr1 mentioned, you need a particular kind of adhesive for it.

I bought some vinyl to cover my tranny cover. After scratching the surface with sandpaper to help adhesion, and carefully cleaning the aluminum with acetone, (which I presume you have done?). I sprayed the adhesive, as per the instructions, laid the vinyl down, and clamped it all around the edges.
    It wasn't long before I noticed air pockets forming under the vinyl, and lifting it. I smoothed it back down, but it did it again. I finally had to strip it off, and ended up carpeting it instead.

Now the method I used, was the exact same method as when I did the dashboard, using the padded vinyl that FFR supplies. The 3M-90 is still holding it perfect five years later without a single issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill-

As the others have said, it's the material itself. I would try to get the manufacturer's name (worst case, perhaps Joe-Ann corporate can help), and get hold of them to see what product will work best for their material. I am sure they will have some solid recommendations. Sorry for your trouble, but it sounds like you have done the right things...

I hope this helps...

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve and Mike. I will contact 3M and see if I can send them a sample of the fabric to determine the best adhesive.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what type of material you have; however, I was able to nicely affix Marine Grade Naugahyde to my dash and other areas. I used Welwood Landau Top (Spray Grade) Adhesive. It worked well even though I rolled it on, but it was a pain in the (You Pick The Body Part) when I started trying to use this stuff.

I prepped the aluminum by hitting it with a D/A Sander with 220 grit paper. Then I cleaned it with acetone and let it totally dry. I applied the adhesive to the vinyl, then the aluminum and then the vinyl one more. The adhesive will stick to itself, but you've got to follow the directions that are on the can or a mess you will have. You'll actually see condensation form on the aluminum and it will get quite cold as the adhesive nears the point of being ready for action. Again, follow their directions regarding the wait time, but understand that you've only got one shot because this stuff is crazy fast in clinging to itself.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps or not, but it worked for me for my dash and lower dash area. Also, I did do a couple of test pieces first and let a them sit out in the weather for a few weeks to see how they would hold up and none bubbled, nor lifted, even around the outer edges.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-01-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M 77 is light duty only. 3M 90 is stronger, but intended for fast tack. 3M 80 is about three times stronger than 77, has a long tack life, highest temp resistance. Definitely the best for reinforced plastics such as dash vinyl.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    I don't know what type of material you have; however, I was able to nicely affix Marine Grade Naugahyde to my dash and other areas. I used Welwood Landau Top (Spray Grade) Adhesive. It worked well even though I rolled it on, but it was a pain in the, You Pick The Body Part when I started trying to use this stuff.

I prepped the aluminum by hitting it with a D/A Sander with 220 grit paper. Then I cleaned it with acetone and let it totally dry. I applied the adhesive to the vinyl, then the aluminum and then the vinyl one more. The adhesive will stick to itself, but you've got to follow the directions that are on the can or a mess you will have. You'll actually see condensation form on the aluminum and it will get quite cold as the adhesive nears the point of being ready for action. Again, follow their directions regarding the wait time, but understand that you've only got one shot because this stuff is crazy fast in clinging to itself.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps or not, but it worked for me for my dash and lower dash area. Also, I did do a couple of test pieces first and let a couple of them sit out in the weather for a few weeks to see how they would hold up and none bubbled or lifted, even around the outer edges.

Good Luck!
    That's the same material I'm using. I will go get more material and your suggested adhesive for a test

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you applying the cover directly to the aluminum, or with padding?
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    No padding

Post Thanks / Like
    May be a stupid question but I've got to ask Bill. Are you applying the adhesive to both surfaces? I've used the 3M products, all three of them, on just about every surface using many different materials and never had a problem with them.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The lack of padding gave me a crisp finish that suits me best.
    Just understand that I'm the Chevy Guy so I'm already off the reservation!
    I'll try to get some pics posted so you all can see what it looks.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-01-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the same fabric. I've not had any luck with adhesives. The vinyl kind of dissolves and gets gooey after a few days. I ended up using ultra black silicone to bond the edges so they don't peel up. I'm sure I will end up recovering the entire dash with a better material, but for now it's complete.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    May be a stupid question but I've got to ask Bill. Are you applying the adhesive to both surfaces? I've used the 3M products, all three of them, on just about every surface using many different materials and never had a problem with them.
    Both surfaces per directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now considering double sided tape

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
    Now considering double sided tape
    Personally I would not have high expectations for that method. When I first built my own car I used peel & stick industrial Velcro to attach the carbon fiber dash to the hoop---the Velcro itself stuck great but on a warm sunny day the solar heat softened the adhesive on the backside and allowed the dash to slide down. My concern is that the same might happen to the adhesive on double sided tape.

I'm with the others and suspect an incompatibility with the particular vinyl. I use the Super 77 (on both surfaces) for dashes, insulation and carpet and have never had a problem with anything not sticking.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    How about go to an auto upholstery shop and get the good vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Consider finding a shop that does vinyl tops on vintage cars if you don't feel comfortable with this little part of your build.
    While I know you've done everything else and done it well, sometimes you may need a little help.
    I know I did when it came to stuffing my 383 SBC & ZF/6-Speed in my MK-4.
    I bet they'd do your pieces for little or nothing.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Further research has eliminated the double sided tape idea. I've decided to just let an auto upholstery shop do the panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if it's the material your using. If you tried the Welwood Landau Top & Trim contact cement and it didn't adhere, (both sides covered with proper wait time ), it has to be the material. That stuff is professional grade and when you stick it, you better be sure it's where you want it. Even going down semi cured it will stick beyond removal.

You refer to Jo Ann's dash material? Not exactly sure what it looks like but I went to a place called Jo-Anns fabric (chain store) and spoke to the woman there whom just happens to be the daughter of the owner of a local rod customs shop locally here in Pottstown, PA. She pointed me to a specific fabric which many use for dashes, boat interiors etc. I just looked at some left over I have and the number printed on the back is P NL004. Looks good and priced right. Although I used a 1/8 pad between the dash and material, it stuck and it stuck good!

Post Thanks / Like
    SNAQ04 is printed in red on the backside of my material

Post Thanks / Like
    SNAQ04 is printed in red on the backside of my material

of course I'm sure you have reached the point where you say to yourself "am I just throwing money away trying to get something done, when I can just take it to an Auto Upholstery shop and be done with it.

I was thinking, maybe it's because your trying to glue on top of glue. I'm facing the exact same issue where a part of the leather on the classic seats I ordered is no longer sticking to the bottom seat foam in the back. I plan to re-stick it with the Welwood landau top& trim cement. That would be leather to foam with previous glue already present. I guarantee it will stick like nobody's business. Unfortunately, the Welwood is only sold in gallons.

Post Thanks / Like
    "of course I'm sure you have reached the point where you say to yourself "am I just throwing money away trying to get something done, when I can just take it to an Auto Upholstery shop and be done with it."

Yep. That's my plan

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about using crinkle paint?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAi1ESs7KB0

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I did Bill. For whatever reason could not get it right. I ended up taking it in as it is a very visual part of the car that needs to be right.

"of course I'm sure you have reached the point where you say to yourself "am I just throwing money away trying to get something done, when I can just take it to an Auto Upholstery shop and be done with it."

Yep. That's my plan