Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rain-x on a Lexan windshield? other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rain-x on a Lexan windshield? other suggestions?

I installed my Fast Freddie windshield earlier this year and really like it! No more work about it cracking or someone grabbing the windshield (I still discourage it, but don't panic anymore). Also seems to chip less than the glass did.
    I've been cleaning it carefully with just water and a Microfiber Towel, then dry / polish with a clean Microfiber.

Getting ready to go on a 2 day extended cruise and planning for the possibility of rain. I don't mind getting wet, but a harder rain is problematic / dangerous to see thru the windshield.

Can I Rain-x the Lexan? or am I better off applying a coat of Carnuba Wax?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a small test on a lower corner to see if it discolours or makes it opaque. Would silicone spray work?

Post Thanks / Like
    From their web site:

The unique water repelling benefit, found in Rain‑X® Original Glass Water Repellent is now available in a product specifically formulated for plastic surfaces! Rain‑X® Plastic Water Repellent provides a superior water beading coating on various plastics including Lexan®, Plexiglas®, Perspex®, Lucite®, Acrylics and Polycarbonate. Watch water bead up and roll away on motorcycle windscreens, goggles, visors and boat windshields for improved visibility!

Also:

•Avoid using Rain‑X® Original Glass Water Repellent on any plastic surfaces, including motorcycle windshields, ATVs and solar panels
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! Wasn't aware that a Rain-X for Plastic existed. (and good to know not to use the regular stuff on plastic! I suspected that)
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good info Mike. Thanks.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes time to clean that Lexan consider using an aircraft windshield cleaner. The one I prefer is 210 in a spray can sold through Aircraft Spruce. Cleans, removes scratches, and leaves an invisible protective film. Remember to always wipe the same direction as the air flows.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Fast Freddie windshield is coated with a scratch resistant coating. Make sure that anything you use is a cleaner only, with no polishing/abrasive properties.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike! Stopped by O'Reily's and looked in the wax/cleaner isle and couldn't find the Rain-x Plastic product, asked the counter-guy and he couldn't find it either, so he looked it up to see if it could be special ordered. Computer said they carry it in-store and looked in another isle and found it.

Got home and sprayed it on a microfiber towel, then on the windshield. Allowed it to dry a few minutes, then removed it with a new clean microfiber.
    Came off easy, we'll see how it works this weekend!

Also picked up a RainX 2-Sided Microfiber Defogger Sponge to keep under the seat to help clear the inside windshield.

Thanks Again!