FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shifter Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Cables

Does anyone have good instructions or a link to instructions on how to align the length of each of the cables? Any help is greatly appreciated! Everything is connected, but shifting mechanism isn't going through the gears.

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gheltz View Post
    Does anyone have good instructions or a link to instructions on how to align the length of each of the cables? Any help is greatly appreciated! Everything is connected, but shifting mechanism isn't going through the gears.
    Has anyone gotten the shifter and cables from the kit working well? What was the secret?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine work great. I'm still trying to figure out how people mess them up and what they're complaining about.

Set everything so it's at the middle of its travel when the shifter and gear lever are in their neutral position and you're done.

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Cables

Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    Mine work great. I'm still trying to figure out how people mess them up and what they're complaining about.

Set everything so it's at the middle of its travel when the shifter and gear lever are in their neutral position and you're done.
    Thanks for responding. So with both ends of each cable disconnected, make sure the amount of cable travel is in the middle?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot that FFR changed the design of the shifter attachment at the transmission at some point. If you're using the original style that involves grinding off and re-using the donor clevis, it's possible you're SOL at getting things working well. If you have the newer machined "shift cube" then you should be able to get everything adjusted fairly well. I have chassis #399 and got the new cube so anyone after that should have one as well.

I really don't remember needing to adjust mine much at all. The cable is a set length (obviously) and the range of motion is limited by the transmission end. I think I pretty much put the housing jamb nuts in the middle of the threaded section and everything just about worked. I'll try and update with a picture of my rear set-up tonight as a starting point for everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Cables

Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    I forgot that FFR changed the design of the shifter attachment at the transmission at some point. If you're using the original style that involves grinding off and re-using the donor clevis, it's possible you're SOL at getting things working well. If you have the newer machined "shift cube" then you should be able to get everything adjusted fairly well. I have chassis #399 and got the new cube so anyone after that should have one as well.

I really don't remember needing to adjust mine much at all. The cable is a set length (obviously) and the range of motion is limited by the transmission end. I think I pretty much put the housing jamb nuts in the middle of the threaded section and everything just about worked. I'll try and update with a picture of my rear set-up tonight as a starting point for everyone.
    Great that would be helpful. I had the early crappy attachment but had them ship me out the new cube.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_20180626_191629.jpg
    IMG_20180626_191701.jpg

Here you go. In both pictures the tape measure is hooked around the end of the cable attachment. The fore/aft housing is pretty much centered, side to side is almost fully extended toward the shift lever on the trans.

I also have the side to side pin in the middle hole, and the car in neutral.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With my shifter kit you get a shifter that sets in the center and then you hook up the much shorter and go straight to the trans.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    With my shifter kit you get a shifter that sets in the center and then you hook up the much shorter and go straight to the trans.
    Thanks Wayne. It's likely just too much money for what I want to spend right now.