Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake cable

Post Thanks / Like

Brake cable

Got the emergency brake cables but they do not fit into the wilwood bracket and looked a little short. Talked to FFR they told me all one cable for cars, but would send a installation kit.
    It is a 33 car but as all cables are the same i posted hear, more people. Any one have cables work or not! 2015 IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    My cables were backordered for three months before they finally came. Mine didn't fit either. Don't know if there was a production size change or not in that time. They were too large for the Wilwood bracket hole slot. Took a round file and carefully removed a little material from the bracket and a flat file to lessen the diameter of the cable end. It works but the bracket material is much softer so go slowly. Also after install I noticed a slot in the cable end that looked like a c-clip or snap ring should be placed. Nothing in the instructions about it. Either will work as I tried both before using stainless snap rings. Hope this helps. They were exactly the length I needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that is what i am going to do, just like to make sure before i mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    got any photos? I noticed mine didn't fit as well, but I put them aside for another day and tackled another item... I'd like to see what you did. Mine is "old-style" IRS, but it's been a challenge finding a routing from the caliper that doesn't interfere with the wheel, axle, or control arms.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    No pics yet. On the 2015 IRS the cable enters the Wilwood bracket from underneath. There was minor interference with the lower shock bolt and sway bar bolt. Nothing that a little bending of the cable couldn't solve. Then they loop over the top of the center section and frame mount. They rest pretty well on that so I encased the cable at all locations of possible contact with a sacrificial rubber heater hose and tie wrapped it in place. After 40 years in the auto industry I'm kind of surprised they did not come pre wrapped at those points. All manufacturers protect cables from rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    Got the emergency brake cables but they do not fit into the wilwood bracket and looked a little short. Talked to FFR they told me all one cable for cars, but would send a installation kit.
    It is a 33 car but as all cables are the same i posted hear, more people. Any one have cables work or not! 2015 IRS
    My emergency brake cables would not clear the buttonhead bolts, mine is a mk4 with the original IRS setup. Had to drill out and countersink the buttonhead bolds about 14" forthe cable ends to seat. Its on another post here, ill look for it if you need it.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.