BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: oil filter and air intake

Post Thanks / Like

oil filter and air intake

I'm building an MK4 Roadster using a 1996 donor, with a 4.6 liter SOHC motor. I started the build in January 2016. Suspension, brakes, rear end, engine, transmission, and radiator are in. (I installed the radiator and hoses this weekend, as well as clutch cable). I have two questions today.

First, The kit came with an oil filter relocation kit. I don't see why I need to use it. There seems to be plenty of frame clearance with the stock filter mount. The instruction manual describes the relocation kit as being used with earlier model motors, but not the 1996-2004 motors. Why is it included with the basic roadster kit, and do you recommend using it?

Second, I can't figure out how and where to mount the stock air intake, MAF sensor, and air filter. My throttle body has the "mustang" emblem on top. The stock rubber intake hose doesn't seem to have the correct angles or length to fit in either the engine compartment or the wheel well. Does anyone have pictures of a roadster using the 1996 stock set up? In the alternative, I have found an inexpensive aluminum cold air intakes on ebay. (you can see them on ebay, searching "1996 mustang gt cold air intake". It's under $50. Anyone know if these cheap cold air intakes will work on my roadster, and will it be better than the stock intake (which doesn't seem to fit the roadster in stock condition anyway)?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The oil filter re-locator is really only needed if you are using the J pipes. You will be fine without it.
    You will need to buy or fabricate an air intake.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you're planning to use a 4.6 SOHC, I strongly recommend you join the "other forum" as well and browse through the mod motor section there. With the advent of the Coyotes, the number of 4.6 builds has really shrunk, so you'll have to rely more on archived knowledge. Since this forum is much newer than the other, the archived information e.g. on the 4.6 is much less here.

i know there are plenty of threads there on SOHC and DOHC intakes, including innovative mods that make the 4.6 look somewhat like the traditional motors with the air cleaners on top. Off the top of my head, search (on the other forum) for users "Perl" and "CobraDavid".
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Michael, I am using the factoryfive/hooker headers, not J pipes. I don't think I'll bother with oil filter relocation kit; it's just one more thing that leak.
    As for the air intake, are you or anyone else familiar with the cheap cold air intakes on ebay? One seller "ilovetacotaco" has one for $42.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2004-FO...RXZKS1&vxp=mtr

Do you know if this will work, maybe with some minor modifications?
    Thanks everybody

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the inexpensive cold air intake on ebay last night. I'll enter a new post once it arrives, to let folks know how it looks and fits. It only cost $43, including shipping, so my expectations are low, but so is the risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about how it will work. On the COYOTE they were pretty specific as to the size of the intake tract & the location of the EFI sensors.

I used the intake developed for the FFR COYOTE installation kit.

I then ducted air from the oil cooler opening up to the conical filter with 5" flexible tubing..

Will finish it out with a box around the filter attached to the intake tubing from the cooler opening. A top will not be made for the box to insure the engine is not starved for air. If I do find a top necessary will open a vent into the air box from the wheel well.

Regardless of what you do the engine will need a fresh tune.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-24-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Kevin. I'm learning that there are many options for routing the air intake. Your car looks amazing. Congratulations.
    Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    My $43 ebay cold air intake came this week, and I installed it today. My set up is not a true cold air intake, as it is not drawing air from the front of the car. But I think it will work. The air intake kit itself seems to be fine, and I think would have worked perfectly on a mustang. But on an MK4, I had to do a lot of modifications, cutting the aluminum pipe down to a usable lengths, and fashioning brackets to secure it to the frame. On of the rubber couplers that came with the kit was 4" x 4", which is the wrong size. Fortunately Pep Boys had a 3" x 3" in stock, so I was able finish it today. I'm satisfied with the way it looks.

WP_20160903_19_43_59_Pro.jpgWP_20160903_19_46_10_Pro.jpg