Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coupeman's 33 hot rod

Post Thanks / Like

Coupeman's 33 hot rod

I just bought a completed 33 Hot Rod with 11700 miles on the odometer. I have driven it about 300 miles without incident. It all worked great. As I returned from my last trip as I pulled into the garage I noticed a soft brake pedal. Didn't think much about it until I tested it a couple days later. The brake pedal went straight to the floor!!! ( no brakes) No evidence of leaks on the floor, reservoirs are full! There is a minimal amount of resistance at the pedal but is is small. What the heck could the problem be? Anybody got any ideas? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any brake fluid on the carpet below the pedals?
    Sounds like it possibly could be leaking past the rubber seal inside one or both master cylinders if you don't have any external leaks. Have you looked at all of the calipers and connections where the lines are connected together?
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupeman
    Welcome to the family.
    The upside is that there's nothing like troubleshooting a problem to get to know the beast a bit better.
    An indirect suggestion, if you haven't already, you should get hold of a construction manual. That will give you a better idea of what's under the hood so to speak.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupeman, put your Location and some car info in your profile like FF33rod and I have. It sometimes help so we won't have to ask many questions.
    You may find there is another Factory Five guy close to you that is willing to help you out.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim; No fluid anywhere, carpet or floor or on the garage floor either. The reservoirs are brim full. Must be an internal valve somewhere?

Thanks!

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    No leaks anywhere and the reservoirs have plenty of fluid? Sometimes a leak can be trapped in the push-rod bellows so check that. Then ensure that the M/C pistons are returning all the way home when your foot is off the pedal. If you have to pull the pedal up to the stop, determine what is keeping it from returning on its own. The pistons must be at the top of the stroke to draw fluid from the reservoir.

See Fig-1: https://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPedalTip
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    No leaks anywhere, reservoirs are tip top. Great info from Wilwood. I will check the pedal return !! Sounds like that may be the problem! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve; I have the manual the guy used to build the car. It has been a great help already. Not so with the brakes though so far.

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, good to hear. I don't know that much about the inner workings of master cylinders so I'll let the more experienced in that area guide you. Hope you find it quick and continue enjoying!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a drawing on the cylinder in the link NAZ supplied. It's not that clear.
    Here is more info, it's for a clutch, but very similar. Look at about the 4 min mark for the guts of the cylinder showing the piston and seals.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ImRXe1g4iE8