Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Ontario Insurance 2016 Big Problems!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ontario Insurance 2016 Big Problems!

Hi, I've got a few quotes for a Factory five - well, one quote, $4,800. I have a super clean record, live in Mississauga, clean license for 35+ years, aged 60. I'm told by Hagerty that "Factory Five is no longer insurable in Ontario" for ANY of the cars. Obviously $4,800 is ridiculous. Has anyone had success obtaining fresh insurance in 2016? It appears that those who had insurance already are grandfathered in, but for new builds, it seems like no dice. I just ordered a 289, but really do not want to pay $5,000 a year to drive 5,000 kms. I'll just buy a new Mustang and live with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That is sticker shock. Ontario does have ludicrous car insurance as mine was three times more expensive for the same cars I have here in Maine. Don't know what companies to turn to, hopefully someone in Ottawa or TO areas will chime in.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    try State Farm. I'm 1200 / year in Barrie, but you can put the policy to sleep over the winter
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Zehr insurance in New hamburg and ask for Perry. I'm paying $500 a year
    519 662 1710

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Willzy.

I just called Perry, really personable and knowledgeable guy, looks like under $500. I'll be picking up my USRRC 289 next month!

Thanks for the connection,

Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    I also am with Perry at Zehr. He's great to deal with. Price should be about $500 / year with an appraised value around $65000. I am paying $867.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had any luck with the insurance ? I'm looking to buy a kit but want to make sure that I can get insurance in ontario

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi . Don't bother with Hagerty or Silver Wheels. Call Perry (see above). You can insure kit once you have it in your possession and car when completed. The car needs to be properly valued and policy starts at $400 up to $900 if the car is valued from $40,000 to $80,000. So YES insurance is available. I pick up my kit next month.
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan427 View Post
    Hi . Don't bother with Hagerty or Silver Wheels. Call Perry (see above). You can insure kit once you have it in your possession and car when completed. The car needs to be properly valued and policy starts at $400 up to $900 if the car is valued from $40,000 to $80,000. So YES insurance is available. I pick up my kit next month.
    What kit are you ordering ? Are you going down to puck it up ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Padu View Post
    What kit are you ordering ? Are you going down to puck it up ?
    HI. I ordered the 289 USRRC which I'll be picking up next month. I have a trailer which I'll drive from Mississauga. What's your plan?
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm torn between a 33 or a cobra. I'm from Toronto also

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings all,

New to the forum, but thought I would update on this thread.

Sadly, Perry from Zehr passed away recently. Kurtis is now dealing with the FFR kits. He is currently trying to find a solution for the 818, which is proving more challenging as it is not a replica (this combined with the ESC issue has me seriously sweating).

Kurtis said they regularly insure Cobras, and have recently insured the hot rod and GTM. The GTM was a bit of a challenge, but was overcome under the consideration of it being a replica.

I will keep all posted on the insurance progress.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Angelo here. Live Richmond Hill Ontario. I had three classic cars with Hagerty and was paying about 850 for all three combined. Then Aug of '16 I got the Cobra and Hagerty didn't charge me 4500 or 5000. They didn't want it at all. My broker found me Chubb classic car insurance. My Cobra was professionally appraised at over $100g and Chubb offered to insure the Cobra but only if I gave them the other three cars as well. All 4 of them for $760. What do you think I said....to them and then what I said to Hagerty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on insuring the 818C?

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel ya Angelo, my old insurer tried that with my Harley, at renewal they wanted the Mustang, the Grand Cherokee, the house AND the cottage if I wanted the FatBoy renewed.
    No tickets, no accidents and 54 yrs old - know why? Cuz in the People's Republic of Ontario you have to have vehicle insurance. Ever miss a life insurance payment? They call, polite as hell, apologize for bothering you, tell you there's no trouble and ask you to pay them "when you can" because we don't have to have life insurance.....my Pop pays $32 month to Hagerty on his 75 Jag, he sent me the link and middle of first paragraph in huge red letters " We do not insure Cobra Replicas"
    Insurance Companies - one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
    Ok rant over -just nobody say Hydro One - lol

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    K******* w***
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    I just spoke to someone at Zehr, I was told they no longer insure homebuilt cobras. I have a call in to Kurtis, who is recommended above, will see what he says. Anyone else had this experience? Any other recommendations?
    Build is basically done, pretty freaked out.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    I just spoke to someone at Zehr, I was told they no longer insure homebuilt cobras. I have a call in to Kurtis, who is recommended above, will see what he says. Anyone else had this experience? Any other recommendations?
    Build is basically done, pretty freaked out.....
    Really?? I just insured our Type-65 with Zehr with little issue. They wanted an appraisal etc, but we were not turned away.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you build it? Is that what you told them? Who did you deal with? How long ago?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you build it? Is that what you told them? Who did you deal with? How long ago?
    This was about 5 months ago.

It was built by my father and I - he is a certified mechanical engineer. They did ask for him to sign off on it in lieu of a certified mechanic. Do you know any mechanics that would sign off on your car?? maybe that would help?
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    They told me it had to be built by a certified mechanic, asked if I was one. Not feeling good right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    They told me it had to be built by a certified mechanic, asked if I was one. Not feeling good right now.
    Hmmm - just thinking, maybe call them back and ask if it can be inspected and signed off by a mechanic? OR......if you have a mechanic that owes you a favor? Wish I could help, I'm not sure who else you could go through for insurance but it may be worth hitting the net and calling places up......sucks.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently they had a change in their insurance provider and the new guys didn’t want to touch cobras at all but they pushed hard as it’s a big part of their business.
    He didn’t think it made sense that even though a mechanic certified it, that they wouldn’t accept it. They want a mechanic to sign off they built it.
    Waiting on a call back from kurtis, who according to post above is supposed to be the go to guy now at zehr for FFR. The guy I spoke with did say to call vintage, 800 307 7066. I’ll try them after I speak to kurtis at zehr.
    Have a couple ideas of shop guys to call, hope it can be sorted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently they had a change in their insurance provider and the new guys didn’t want to touch cobras at all but they pushed hard as it’s a big part of their business.
    He didn’t think it made sense that even though a mechanic certified it, that they wouldn’t accept it. They want a mechanic to sign off they built it.
    Waiting on a call back from kurtis, who according to post above is supposed to be the go to guy now at zehr for FFR. The guy I spoke with did say to call vintage, 800 307 7066. I’ll try them after I speak to kurtis at zehr.
    Have a couple ideas of shop guys to call, hope it can be sorted.
    Good luck man - and keep the thread updated as this will be important for others. Hope to see you on the road soon.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to Kurtis, he has two insurance providers, one of them is ok with homebuilts, so as long as they will cover me I should be good. He’s going to let me know tomorrow. Only hiccup might be I had an accident almost 6 yrs ago, sounds like they want no accidents for 6 years.
    I’ll update what he comes back to me with but sounds like Kurtis is the guy to talk to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Insuring these cars once they are completed in Ontario is not an issue. Zehr insurance is still insuring these with no difficulties, providing you have a decent driving record. Now, it's a bit different for insuring these cars while they are being built, as Echelon wants them to be built by a professional, not individually in your garage. It is best to talk to Dennis or Kurtis about this as we have discussed it and have found a solution.

The person to contact for this is as follows:

Dennis Laughton
    Registered Insurance Broker
    Account Manager

Zehr Insurance Brokers Ltd
    24 Hope St W
    Tavistock, ON N0B 2R0

Toll Free- 1-844-655-2422
    Tel- (519) 655-2422
    Fax- (519) 655-2343
    Ryan Valin
    Valin's Custom Cars, Inc.

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update, Kurtis did get back to me a couple weeks back, no problem getting insured, just have to wait till May 24 when an accident I had 6 years ago drops off. In the mean time got the car registered yesterday, that was an adventure but not too bad, and trying to find someone to safety it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear
    Ryan Valin

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan427 View Post
    Hi, I've got a few quotes for a Factory five - well, one quote, $4,800. I have a super clean record, live in Mississauga, clean license for 35+ years, aged 60. I'm told by Hagerty that "Factory Five is no longer insurable in Ontario" for ANY of the cars. Obviously $4,800 is ridiculous. Has anyone had success obtaining fresh insurance in 2016? It appears that those who had insurance already are grandfathered in, but for new builds, it seems like no dice. I just ordered a 289, but really do not want to pay $5,000 a year to drive 5,000 kms. I'll just buy a new Mustang and live with it.
    Try This:

Kurtis Waymouth, B. Comm

Registered Insurance Broker

Branch Manager

Zehr Insurance Brokers Ltd
    24 Hope St W
    Tavistock, ON N0B 2R0

Toll Free- 1-844-655-2422
    Tel- (519) 655-2422
    Fax- (519) 655-2343

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for the info, it really helps to take some of the stress away from us new members about to take the leap!

Post Thanks / Like
    I did get insurance through Kurtis and Dennis at Zher end of May. All good very affordable, but lots of restrictions and every driver in your household has to be ticket free for 3 yrs and at fault accident free for 6.
    He said they have insured every FFR model except the 818, he hasn’t been successful getting those insured as it isn’t a replica of anything.
    Not sure if someone else is doing them?

Post Thanks / Like
    for everyones info. I was insured with Zehr/eschelone insurance for the last 2 years on my 818S with no issues, no tickets no accidents and bam! got an email and a registered letter they cancelled my policy! they said upon review I should not have gotten the policy as my car has a "roll cage racing seats and belts" I said there was not issue before. they said they reviewed it and they are dropping the policy. now I need to find insurance. anyone have any luck on 818 insurance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    for everyones info. I was insured with Zehr/eschelone insurance for the last 2 years on my 818S with no issues, no tickets no accidents and bam! got an email and a registered letter they cancelled my policy! they said upon review I should not have gotten the policy as my car has a "roll cage racing seats and belts" I said there was not issue before. they said they reviewed it and they are dropping the policy. now I need to find insurance. anyone have any luck on 818 insurance?
    Get in touch with Ryan Valins as he had an 818 as well as an MK4, I am sure he can help as he is in Ontario as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/valinscustomcars/
    Last edited by AJT '33; 02-24-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can insure your 818 through this gentleman. In order to do so, they will require another vehicle with it. The price is a bit higher, but you can reduce coverage for the winter months.

Bruce Cockwell
    McDonagh Insurance Brokers
    217 Main Street Box 10
    (519) 356-2216
    [email protected]
    Ryan Valin

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297

35. Thanks AJT '33 thanked for this post
    Likes AJT '33 liked this post