FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NC inspection

Post Thanks / Like

NC inspection

I know I saw a thread somewhere about what is needed to pass inspection in NC, but I cant find it anywhere.. So, what safety options need to be added to pass inspection? wipers? bumpers? ECT..

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends. Are you asking about the initial inspection to get the car registered? Or the annual inspection? If the car is already registered as a 1965 model, then no annual inspection is required.

Post Thanks / Like
    safety is really what i am looking for. Do i need bumpers and wipers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobras aren't safe cars. They have no structural rigidity compared to modern cars. No airbags, side impact beams, crumple zones, etc. Bumpers on these cars are primarily for looks, not 5 mph crash tests. But you didn't answer my questions; are you trying to pass the inspection for registration? If so, about all that is required is to have documented (bill of sale) serial numbers for the engine, transmission, etc. NC is very lenient about other items. Wipers are not required. But you'll want a horn, turn signals, brake lights just for common sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    No bumpers, wipers or emissions equipment. Inspection isn't really a safety inspection although I expect they will ding you if they see something materially wrong or unsafe. Its a docs check to be sure you have a bill of sale for the parts including engine transmission & main kit.

Once the DMV theft section agents checks your car they do a report. This report & your bill of sale, proof of insurance, an affidavit that you built the car are then taken to the DMV office to get your title & plates. Be sure to register it as an "antique auto" as you get all kinds of benefits.

No annual inspection, reduced annual property tax & the ability to run 1965 etc plates. You need to source the early plates outside the system.

Best place to go to register & title the car in NCDMV headquarters in Raleigh. If not convenient for you call ahead to your local plate issuer to be sure they know how to handle one of these cars.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-20-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue MK3 View Post
    Cobras aren't safe cars. They have no structural rigidity compared to modern cars. No airbags, side impact beams, crumple zones, etc. Bumpers on these cars are primarily for looks, not 5 mph crash tests. But you didn't answer my questions; are you trying to pass the inspection for registration? If so, about all that is required is to have documented (bill of sale) serial numbers for the engine, transmission, etc. NC is very lenient about other items. Wipers are not required. But you'll want a horn, turn signals, brake lights just for common sense.
    I know some states require FF "bumpers" as part of the safety inspection. whether they are actually bumpers or not, is not what I was looking for. Same with wipers! Some states require them... I wasnt sure what the inspection and registration process was, and what they were looking for as it completed.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    No bumpers, wipers or emissions equipment. Inspection isn't really a safety inspection although I expect they will ding you if they see something materially wrong or unsafe. Its a docs check to be sure you have a bill of sale for the parts including engine transmission & main kit.

Once the DMV theft section agents checks your car they do a report. This report & your bill of sale, proof of insurance, an affidavit that you built the car are then taken to the DMV office to get your title & plates. Be sure to register it as an "antique auto" as you get all kinds of benefits.

No annual inspection, reduced annual property tax & the ability to run 1965 etc plates. You need to source the early plates outside the system.

Best place to go to register & title the car in NCDMV headquarters in Raleigh. If not convenient for you call ahead to your local plate issuer to be sure they know how to handle one of these cars.
    Thank you for all this information. This is what I was looking for!

Post Thanks / Like
    No Problem. FYI the NCDMV has a section on its web site for home builds & restored cars. Gives you who to call for the inspection, NCDMV Theft Bureau, & what docs you need to fill out like the affidavits. The inspection is pretty much ad-lib on the part of the inspector in that some will accept the FFR stamp in the chassis over the clutch pedal on the cockpit frame as the vin or will assign you a DMV generated vin (my case) & affix a pair of tags to the car.

If you are building a no donor with a new engine/transmission out of the box, some directly from FORD Racing don't have serial numbers. In some cases (me again) the inspector will require you get a surety bond for 1.5X the value of the car. If that's the case just use the actual money you paid (FFR & engine/trans) for parts as the value. A bond will cost you about $100 & can be done via email.

Also when you go for the plates you have to pay the sales tax. Just use the amount for the actual hardware, FFR kit, engine & transmission that you have your bill of sales for. Tax is 3% - Mine was $990.

Will look up mine for the bonding company if they request you get one.

Meantime ENJOY YOUR GOVERMENT IN ACTION.

EDIT: Forgot to add the commercial. We have a non-club club "Triangle Cobra Club" that meets once a month in Raleigh. First Saturday of the month weather permitting at 8:30AM, Hardies on Creedmoor just south of Millbrook. (just north of the Crabtree Valley Mall).

Anyone interested in a No officers, No dues type of club PM me or BBQ to get on the mailing list.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-21-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Bear. I was hoping you'd chime in as I was (am) confused about what awd wants to know. BTW, on this forum, I'm Blue MK3.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not know that BBQ, will add it to my notes

Did any of the guys do the Tail of the Dragon last weekend? I wanted to go but had already registered for the Tar Heel Auto-X in Cary. Wanted to do one close by in case I broke the car.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-21-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like

Do you still meet every first Saturday at the same place in Raleigh?

Forgot to add the commercial. We have a non-club club "Triangle Cobra Club" that meets once a month in Raleigh. First Saturday of the month weather permitting at 8:30AM, Hardies on Creedmoor just south of Millbrook. (just north of the Crabtree Valley Mall).

Anyone interested in a No officers, No dues type of club PM me or BBQ to get on the mailing list.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Its now second Sat at Carolina Cafe in Cary.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234

Post Thanks / Like
    A six pack and $50 should get it done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'll catch you guys at the September one. Is there a distribution list?

jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    Thanks. I'll catch you guys at the September one. Is there a distribution list?

jeff
    Yes PM your email & will get you added on.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234