Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stix's Gen 3 Coupe Build - Striped Steel

Post Thanks / Like
    Kicking off the weekend with a bit of tire, wheel, and widebody eye candy
    I'm still kind of blown away by the size and these are only 295/40R18.

No spacers here! Just 2015 Mustang GT axles and future custom A-arms

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    GONNA BE A MONSTER!!! Love it! I'm running the same size wheels and tires... Now I'm SUPER excited for them to show up! Keep at it!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    This is amazing. I just found this thread and I feel like I am waiting for the next season to pop up on Netflix. Keep at it!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    This is amazing. I just found this thread and I feel like I am waiting for the next season to pop up on Netflix. Keep at it!
    And like Netflix, I'll keep you waiting for months for the next update :P Just kidding, I hope to be able to spend more time getting things underway again in the near future.

5. Likes SkiRideDrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back with an update. Work and everything else have been busy so I'm happy to report there is still progress being made on the car. Right now it just happens to be off of the car.

I'm getting close to wrapping up the transmission to transfer case adapter modifications needed. To sum it up, I'm using a different transfer case (Borg Warner 4412) than what the original adapter was designed for (BW4404) and in a different position which is further complicated by the fact that the 4412 has a different input shaft length and depth.

First step was to jump in with both feet and cut the adapter in half. Second was to modify it, and third will be to get it back in one piece.

I did some dumpster diving to get some scrap pieces of thick steel plate. The plates had 1/2" holes in it all over but I was able to work around that and create a fixture to hold the input and output flanges concentric to each other. Essentially making two tight tolerance round plates welded to a tube to hold the top and bottom relative to each other. You can see the two halfs and the tool fixture in this picture:

On the back side of the output flange I used the lathe to cut a groove for the transfer case alignment ring but only 0.1" deep so not to weaken the flange too much. The groove isn't square and the bottom is more of a \__/ shape so stress concentrations shouldn't be too high (I hope). This way I can also use the BW4404 as a fall-back option since both can be held concentric to the transmission output shaft. You can also see the places I used a dry-erase marker as an indicator to wear off where the groove hit before seating the transfer case and needed machined more. Low cost tech for the win!

Here's the fixture in the output flange for reference:

Here's the input flange half added with the fixture aligning everything and at the right height. I also ground off the paint in a few areas for an electrical ground path while welding depending on where it's clamped:

Finally a side view with the shortened parts. The butt joint on the center tube should minimize flange distortion and I can still skim the input flange face to make sure everything is parallel. I added a chamfer to each part on the suggestion of a coworker to help with welding penetration since this will be reacting the output torque:

Next is to weld it up and then test fit the adapter. After that is to try to get the whole mockup (engine block to transfer case) in the car to check that fit!
    Last edited by q4stix; 12-18-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really, really enjoy your posts and engineering details. Way, way cool!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

8. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    Really, really enjoy your posts and engineering details. Way, way cool!

Chris
    Thanks! Glad to hear that because sometimes I feel like I go overboard describing things not related to a 'normal' build. Lots more to go to make this all work

Post Thanks / Like
    We're shortened, welded, and test fit!

Seems like we got good penetration on the weld area and pretty good color distribution showing the heated regions. We skipped around similar to tightening lug nuts to minimize any distortion too.

Here's it back together at the proper length and ready to test fit next. This should happen sometime over the Christmas to New Year's break and then I can figure out how much to raise the rear differential and see how to run the forward driveshaft

I'm also still working on my mill cleaning and restoration. Amazing how much grease, oil, etc. keeps coming out of the castings but I'm getting close to wrapped up smelling Zep Purple in the garage and house for a while

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez! That is a quite a piece there... I think you have quite a vision...a tip of the hat to you for setting off in a direction and making it work! I am excited to see the front D/S go in and the front end assy....this should be a pretty nice machine and a one of a kind when complete... keep at it please!!! 4WD Gen 3 coupe.... that's cool.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

12. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    Geez! That is a quite a piece there... I think you have quite a vision...a tip of the hat to you for setting off in a direction and making it work! I am excited to see the front D/S go in and the front end assy....this should be a pretty nice machine and a one of a kind when complete... keep at it please!!! 4WD Gen 3 coupe.... that's cool.
    Thanks! Means a lot coming from you after your great builds!

Maybe I'll have this all figured out for when the Gen 3 based supercar is released and then I can twin turbo the setup in that car like you did

Post Thanks / Like
    Mockup Install Update!

A friend of mine was able to come over and help me get the bare engine block, transmission, and adapter into the chassis so I could start getting a better idea of the actual space and the number of additional modifications required to make this crazy idea actually work.

While this looks straightforward, the output shaft sticking out so far meant we had to pull things back forward to slide the transfer case on. You might be able to see that I cut to additional tubes on the tunnel near where the shifter location is because of interference (mid and rear shift are not options on the AWD transmission because of the rear adapter)

Then, like all good things I try, there were more interferences. I handed my friend the recip saw and said go at it but he was a bit hesitant. After I showed him I already chopped that particular tube and it just had to be even shorter he had a go. This was the X member on the floor that also had the driver's seat belt tab on the tunnel side. That'll be sure to be added back.

More cutting and grinding occurred on the transfer case and frame:

Tada! I'm in a seat and in the car next to the giant drivetrain!

One pic from the front:

One from the side:

It's not ideal yet, but I'll work on that some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I got my first real TIG welding lesson. I've done stick, used a torch to weld, braze, and cut, and done MIG but not really TIG. I'm keeping it too cold and using too little filler, but apparently my general technique is pretty good for a self described beginner:

This will all come in handy when I fix the frame, make new motor, transmission, and differential mounts, and then eventually the new suspension arms and exhaust headers.

Fun times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Freaking cool! Incredible work...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well cool! Just some bracing to add back in there... looks like the shifter is a little father forward than stock but manageable for sure. More filler on the welds for sure.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Itching for more updates!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey SkiRideDrive! I've been spending a lot of time working and not at much time doing actual physical work on the car. I'm still trying to design things here and there and hope to be back to things soon. On the bright side, I've learned enough Mastercam and G code to run our CNC machine here at work (a 30x16" travel, 3 axis) to make a few things for work that are fully contoured, use 8 different mill bits, and 12-15 hours of machine time each (yes, it's not a high speed machine, but still works haha).

I'd like to be putting in more hours before too long.

I'm trying to search out a 3d scanner so I can better design and fit the front and rear suspensions, so if anyone has a 3d scanner they're willing to loan out, I'm all ears!

20. Likes SkiRideDrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Small update:
    I've been trying to figure out how to best raise the differential to match the rest of the raised driveline (due to the transfer case) and came up with a solid coupler for mockup purposes. They had a scrap piece of 2" thick, 5x5" steel used elsewhere that was getting thrown out so I snagged it.

I made a quick sketch showing the dimensions of the flanges I have (see earlier when I replaced the differential pinion flange from the 2015+ Mustang GT CV style flange to the F150 style flat flange meant for a U-joint bolting to it.

A mockup in 3d helped me figure out how I'd do everything so I could reference it on the lathe and fit the bolts in (barely). FYI, the pinion flanges are threaded so I wanted to make use of them instead of drilling them out and threading the coupler or having the treads misaligned and causing a gap between the flanges and coupler

Complete after a long time of running the lathe at some pretty slow speeds to cut all the steel

Not sure when I'll get it in, but that's my next step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Minor update, I got the differential out of the Factory Five as-designed mounts and raised it about 3" with a jack to get the coupler I made installed.

You can see my driveline is pretty much one giant inline group of stuff.

Here's a closer view of the coupler from above installed and how much the diff was raised.

Finally, a back view showing the new position I need to make mounts for:

23. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post
    Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can the CV joints on the axels accommodated the difference in height?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    Can the CV joints on the axels accommodated the difference in height?
    Very good question. The short answer is "maybe", but I think so.
    Take a look at the pictures in this post (#55): https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post310201
    Between the nominal position looking to be slightly up, running the longer axles of the Mustang GT combined with a slightly lower ride height should make the effective difference only 2" instead of a 3" actual differential height change. Since I'm also going to run stock length GT axles, I'm pretty sure I can source some that have high angle CVs in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's first cut at the axle angle with a 4.5" or so ride height. I'll know better once I get the whole powertrain height and position finalized, but we're looking good for now:

Next up is the height of the engine end at the mounts and then seeing how to snake the front driveshaft in. If that shows good I'll weld in a new frame beam for the new differential height and redo the engine mounts before starting to cut up the front suspension area to make room for the front diff.

27. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Very exciting. I love watching this build unfold!

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Totally Crazy, but in a good way, here's your sign!!

Raise your right hand and say after me,

"I (State your name), do swear/affirm, that upon acceptance of this "Revered Coupe Jacket", will willingly subject myself to all manner of frustration and abrasion that my FFR Type 65 will provide. I further pledge that any and all fellow Coupe builders will have free reign in using the cash available in my wallet as they see fit to improve my build plan. I will not look down upon our fellow Roadster builders, but rather take pity on those not talented enough to build a race car with a roof, So Help Me God!"

It is my pleasure to present you with the "Revered Coupe Jacket" # 2, Here's your sign!!

Hank
    Last edited by Hankl; 04-22-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you gave me one back in 2017 does this mean you're telling me I need two straitjackets just to contain my crazy ideas? LOL

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes!!!!
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought experiment time:
    I've been reading about multiple people trying to quiet down the exhaust volume, Slimline 30" being sold out (my original option), etc and I wanted to get an idea of what I could do with yet another non-standard idea. Since I had time at my computer after getting a CNC job started at work, I played around with using a muffler and tucking it in the Coupe recess and begin seeing how it would work.
    Obviously this isn't a finished product. I haven't verified the dimensions on the car itself but I pulled actual sizes from a few mufflers online, chose circle and oval pipe sizes based on rough numbers for flow, and started up our CAD software. Here's the result after a couple hours.

You'll need to ignore the left side since I'm leaning towards a tri-Y header design to widen the powerband and clearly it sticks forward of the actual body opening right now. The bottom element is a side skirt that would be enabled with my widebody setup and having to put in some wheel arch flares to fit the tires completely.

As stated, completely a thought experiment but since I haven't had time to touch the actual car, this was the next best thing for an engineer.

33. Likes Straversi, RR20AC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit of a progression on the thought experiment. I measured some on the actual body and tried to better match them in 3D. I also added some wheels and the flares I'll need to support my other changes. I colored the body silver/steel/grey to better match how it'll be to reflect my thinking.

In other news, since I was able to spend a few minutes of time in my garage after doing some yard work, I notched yet another frame member near the transmission mount location so it would clear the CV joint of the front driveshaft. Looking even closer now although it'll need a custom length in the end. The lowest point of the CV cup is flush with the bottom plane of the chassis and the current diameter driveshaft just clears the transmission mount plate

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I like the rendering, think that will look good.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking more about the front suspension and assembly and decided to spend a whopping $50 to help make some progress. That let me order front hubs for a recent Ford Explorer AWD model since they check a couple requirements. First, they're splined for front axles (27 splines), second they're 5x4.5 or 5x114.5 so they share the same wheel PCD as the 2015+ Mustang GT IRS hubs, third they have the same hub diameter meaning the same wheel bore with hubcentric rings and the ability to rotate tires, and an added fourth... they're super inexpensive if a bearing fails.

They did come with the downfall of having a larger diameter hub section where the brake rotors go meaning the Wilwood aluminum rotor hat wouldn't fit. The hub also has what I found to be a 5/64" radius at the bottom which added some fun to make things flat. The Factory Five hubs and knuckles are much smaller in diameter, helped in large part by not needing an axle and splines going through it.

All in all, I had to increase the rotor hat hub bore from about 3.05" to 3.23" along with an inboard chamfer to clear the hub radius. Not terribly complex but holding that in the lathe proved fun since I couldn't chuck it up internally since that was the machined area. Next up is stacking the hub, rotor, and wheel together to figure out the stud replacement lengths and pressing those in with ones that match the rear (unlike the FFR instructions which press out the rears to match the fronts.

I'm also modeling up new rear suspension A-arms to support the longer rear axles. More on that later

Post Thanks / Like
    Experience+Ability+Equipment= next level build

I know it will take a while yet but can't wait to see this one done. You are creating lot of challenges by going of the beaten path, and overcoming them.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

38. Thanks q4stix thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Visual update for the front:

Next up on this is starting to design the knuckle to support this particular hub and caliper setup as well as figuring out the ackerman steering and tie rod placement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Long overdue update after being super busy with work and trying to take care of things at home with other projects.

I've been trying to do even more planning and see how everything up front can fit in the frame and still function well. Here are some pictures of it all:

With the engine raised some because of driveline fitment, the intake manifold is going to be mighty close to the hood. The front diff in this picture is slightly offset to the passenger side since I need to cut the frame on the driver side to make it fit. On top is the GT350 electric steering rack I want to also try to fit after seeing if I can make it work with the AEM Infinity CANBUS outputs

Top view of everything mentioned above and the steering rack just sitting on top waiting to find a location

Side view of the car with more in place. Note, the passenger side rear is still the 'stock' Factory Five suspension

Here's more of the skinny Voodoo engine parts (de-bored Voodoo by using a Coyote block) since I had them set out for people to see during a 'tech talk' about kit cars at my house with a local car group... more on that later

Future work is still trying to get the front all sorted out with so much stuff fitting that isn't designed by Factory Five to be there

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update after long delay. Work has still been busy and I've been having to take care of a lot of other things too, so the car has sat waiting for me for a while now while I ponder about how to implement next steps.

On a bright note, I received a question at work about a 3d scanner so I ended up being the one to hunt down a scanner that was stashed away years ago and got it finally running enough to do a scan. Keep in mind this is both 10 year old technology and my first time, but since I had my electric power steering rack for the Coupe in my daily driver's trunk, I used it as a test sample to scan. Now I can see how it'll fit in 3D assuming I can model up the front differential! Too bad I don't have a scanner of my own that could scan all of the parts ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool Stix!!
    Hope to see some more progress on your car soon.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    The build continues, just not at the pace I was once doing...

Everything clearly won't fit up front and I'm a little more hesitant to just go cutting everything like I did the center (that's recoverable, the front would need more of a jig to hold everything true). With that, I've been doing lots and lots of measuring and translating that into 3D so I can move things around and be more intentional about cuts and modifications. I also would have a fair amount of difficulty holding everything in place due to the weight of the front differential and steering rack not to mention the position I'd have to be in to hold everything at once.

CAD to the rescue!
    I *think* this might work if I can get the steering geometry to work with the rack in this location. It's upper aft to clear the front driveshaft and leave the airflow from the radiator out the top of the hood.

Front view:

Top view:

Back to front. Here you can see I tilted the electric steering rack back about 45 degrees because of the motor and electronics. This also helps the input angle relative to where the steering shaft exits the footbox:

Left-ish ISO view:

As you can see, the factory shock location just isn't going to work once an axle is in place. I'm also going to check how the front driveshaft will force the driver side motor mount pillar to change. I'm also really, really hoping the model can translate into the real world without lots of last minute catches.

With any luck I'll be able to cut and fit physical parts before too long instead of just 3D!

44. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed

And i would like to say thank you for saving me money. How you ask,,,,because i don't need to buy Viagra for the duration of this build.

Post Thanks / Like
    More 3d eye candy while I kill time not running around away from home in the Seattle area (not that I really do anyway since I'm an introverted engineer haha).

I've been thinking about the upright/spindle for the front suspension as well as the A-arms and here where I'm at now:

And looking inboard with the brake rotor hidden:

For this setup to work I'll need to double check the steering rack fitment right above the differential and I'll need to swap the Wilwood rotor hats for a lower, near zero offset instead of the ones that were included and I already modified. Small cost mistake but in the grand scheme not terrible. If I can get this all to look functional I'll start looking into fabricating the parts... that is after I design the pushrod, bellcrank, and coilover setup. The wide front suspension will work with or without AWD but I'm still doing it fully with AWD in mind.

47. Likes Gbeck, Straversi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good; it's as ambitious and unique as I have seen anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that it's a month later from my previous post and I've finally had a few minutes to keep designing, here are some updates regarding the suspension getting closer to feasible. The pivot point of the outer CV is still a bit of a concern for me because it doesn't line up with the rotational axis of the upright assembly which makes the overall axle length increase with large steering angles. I'm not sure it would be enough for the halfshaft to pop out but it's something I need to look into.

Other than that, I've got a better steering rack position using the manual rack, the pushrod location roughed out to clear the halfshaft and the A-arm, and an approximate location for the bellcrank and shock. I've also reworked the steering bracket which helps keep the moment arm length to keep steering effort from being too high, especially with a manual rack.

With the pushrod moving and having to clear the halfshaft it's imposing that I move the pickup point inboard which then increases the bending moment on the arm, thickens the tubes, etc. Not great but a fair tradeoff to get this all working functionally.

Also, fender flare idea update:

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you may have already seen this on FB or IG, but I wanted to put it here for those of you who haven't seen it and also to document it for myself for later.

Here's some late night design on the headers. The layout gives me a tri-Y with 25" long stepped (15” of 1 3/4” to 10” of 1 7/8”) primaries, 36" long (2 1/4”) secondaries. This will let me be balanced and also clear my front driveshaft for AWD. Final Y collector is at the end of the two secondaries but not shown.

Part of my reasoning for this is to broaden the powerband instead of having it all be aimed up top with a shorter 4 to 1 or slightly more peaked but slightly wider with a longer 4 to 1. Another reason to try to do it this way is to get my Coyote based Voodoo setup not to sound like an obnoxious Honda 4 cylinder on either side of my head while sitting in the car (and to others).

I realize there's a lot more complexity than the standard routing but I was going to redesign the side pipes anyway because of the standard restrictions and poor side pipe connection, the engine is raised about 3” to accommodate the transfer case and front driveshaft, the steering shaft won’t be in the same location, and the driveshaft is in the way if I go straight down.

Still… comments, suggestions, random thoughts, dislikes, etc. all welcome since I know people on here are pretty level headed and many have more experience than I do.

51. Likes RR20AC, ztoolman44 liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast