BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 20th Anniversary MK4 Wahoo

Post Thanks / Like

20th Anniversary MK4 Wahoo

Locked down the purchase of the last one. I have been to the site years ago and finally, jumped in with both feet.
    I have been reading for the last 3 nights. I have been a rodder all my life and am really high on getting my dream car.
    Probably going to get delivery the 1st of next month. Started making room in my barn today.
    I am a little nervous about handling the body. Where can I get instructions on building the body buck for storing the body?
    I thought I looked the forum over, but must be missing it. Thanks for listening.
    Also, where can I find a posting for the original offering of the Anniversary edition?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Welcome to the 20th Anniversary club. (just made that up...). I have 003 and it's nearly ready for paint. Build thread in my sig line. Tell us more about your build plans. Engine? etc.

The original press release for the 20th Anniversary edition is here: http://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new...ster-revealed/

Body buck info: http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck.html, http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck02.html. Those should get you started.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply and answers to my inquiries. I am shopping for the best price on the 500 hp Coyote crate engine. Wifey wants auto trans and after driving some of the supercharged Mustangs with autos, I do not think I will mind. Tony recommended the 4r70w trans and min 3000 rpm stall converter. I was considering the 6r80 trans, but really doubt 6 speeds will be much of an advantage in a really light car and I would rather not be the guinea pig on the installation.
    My order has motorized wipers, which I do not know, whether I need or not. I have a '23 T Bucket, with a hand wiper, for state law, and have never used it.
    A big question, do I need power steering and does it come with the anniversary kit? I need to get all the particulars sorted out, the shipping date is approaching fast.
    I also have to pay for the headers with the Coyote engine. Sorta surprised, since the ad did not say they would need to be purchased.
    Still undecided on the color, but probably have plenty of assembly time to work that out.
    I think Tony said, my kit was number 15. Tony, told me 3.55 gears, which sounds right. Is the unit trac loc or open rear?
    I know, I should have done more research, but stumbled upon the anniversary kit and needed to act quickly.
    It sounds like there is some resupplying of items during the build, so maybe my package deal will allow some room for changes.
    I am going to be bending some ears and asking a lot of questions, so maybe y'all will not get too bored with me.
    Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Locked down the purchase of the last one. I have been to the site years ago and finally, jumped in with both feet.
    I have been reading for the last 3 nights. I have been a rodder all my life and am really high on getting my dream car.
    Probably going to get delivery the 1st of next month. Started making room in my barn today.
    I am a little nervous about handling the body. Where can I get instructions on building the body buck for storing the body?
    I thought I looked the forum over, but must be missing it. Thanks for listening.
    Also, where can I find a posting for the original offering of the Anniversary edition?
    Congratulations!! Let the fun begin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply and answers to my inquiries. I am shopping for the best price on the 500 hp Coyote crate engine. Wifey wants auto trans and after driving some of the supercharged Mustangs with autos, I do not think I will mind. Tony recommended the 4r70w trans and min 3000 rpm stall converter. I was considering the 6r80 trans, but really doubt 6 speeds will be much of an advantage in a really light car and I would rather not be the guinea pig on the installation. My order has motorized wipers, which I do not know, whether I need or not. I have a '23 T Bucket, with a hand wiper, for state law, and have never used it. A big question, do I need power steering and does it come with the anniversary kit? I need to get all the particulars sorted out, the shipping date is approaching fast. I also have to pay for the headers with the Coyote engine. Sorta surprised, since the ad did not say they would need to be purchased. Still undecided on the color, but probably have plenty of assembly time to work that out. I think Tony said, my kit was number 15. Tony, told me 3.55 gears, which sounds right. Is the unit trac loc or open rear? I know, I should have done more research, but stumbled upon the anniversary kit and needed to act quickly.
    It sounds like there is some resupplying of items during the build, so maybe my package deal will allow some room for changes. I am going to be bending some ears and asking a lot of questions, so maybe y'all will not get too bored with me. Thanks again for the help.
    I can respond to a few of your points, but not all. By 500 hp Coyote crate, I assume you mean one of the Aluminators. Maybe the M-6007-A50XS? Cool engines. With big headroom for huge amounts of power. But not cheap, that's for sure. The base Coyote with the required revised intake, straight tube headers and a custom tune will push 460 - 470 hp. Hard to beat that value IMO and more than enough power to melt the tires in these cars. I know absolutely nothing about automatic transmissions in these, and especially with the Coyote. The Coyote crate motors for some time have only been for manual shift setups, but supposedly automatic is being addressed. Don't see it discussed much on here though. Hopefully you have personal knowledge and/or other sources.

Lots of guys use manual wipers to pass initial inspection to get their cars legal. If you're ever thinking of adding a top, you'd want the electric ones. Plus it could affect your resale value because not every location is as flexible, and they're no fun to add after the fact. No one wants to talk about resale, but it's something to at least keep in the back of your mind.

None of the FF kits come with headers. They are specific to the engine selected, so always are an option. I would really strongly suggest you look at custom headers and not the shorty's and pipes FF uses. Specifically GP Headers. Slight extra price, but you're not describing a low budget build. Better looking, more durable, more power.

Power steering also is not standard on any Roadster kits. Factory Five has only recently been offering it as an option. Until now, we've had to figure it out on our own. Not hard, but the Coyote has some unique aspects. Personally I'm a huge promoter of power steering. I've had both and there's no comparison IMO. And like I always say, it isn't just about effort. Yes, reduced effort which is really helpful at low speed. But equally as important power steering allows you to double the caster in the front end alignment, which really improves centering and high speed stability.

3.55 for the center section is a good choice and probably the most common. All the new Mustang IRS Super 8.8 center section are trac loc or Torsen (3.73 only). None are open rear.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-23-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations From The Swamp Lands Of Louisiana!

PS: The Torsen differential in my opinion is head and shoulders above the Trac-Loc system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for helping me sort out these issues. My initial response on the info given, will be, wipers stay, headers?? more research, manual steering OK, my T bucket has a Ford 302 with a vega manual box, a very small steering wheel and I am very comfortable with it. Additionally dodging the pump and plumbing is a big factor. I agree the Torsen is way above the old clutch pack stuff. I have a 13 Shelby with the Torsen carrier. I feel it puts down the power more equal than the traction locks. I will take what FFR puts in the chunk. I have done a lot of gear swaps and the 3.55 seems to be the sweet spot for auto trans, light wt car and good hp. I lucked out on that one.
    I have to do some research on GP headers ASAP.
    I really appreciate all the input. I am still drinking from a fire hose on this, so this specific advise is great.
    Thanks,

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Look hard at EdwardB's last two builds.

The information you can gain from them will give you great ideas from a form vs function and vice versa build perspective.
    I'm about 80% done and I feel like my build has been very much enhanced by this forum and the folks that are on it.
    People who have helped me have been many because their perspectives are based on their builds not just their opinions.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Power steering is a HUGE plus, not because of ease of turning but as edwardb mentioned for greatly improved driveability. I won't build a roadster for myself or customers without it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My initial response on the info given, will be, wipers stay, headers?? more research, manual steering OK, my T bucket has a Ford 302 with a vega manual box, a very small steering wheel and I am very comfortable with it. Additionally dodging the pump and plumbing is a big factor... I have to do some research on GP headers ASAP.
    OK, couple more comments about power steering and I'll be quiet. I promise. (1) As I said in my first response, it's not just about effort. It's also about improved front end geometry. For whatever reason, people tend not to hear that part or think it's that important. I will only say after driving manual and power (with the increased caster) extensively, there is no comparison. I won't have a manual steering build again. Many others have said the same thing. With all due respect, this isn't a T bucket. Very different capabilities. (2) Coyote power steering isn't bad to install. The pump bolts to the block in a couple possible locations and hose routing is pretty straightforward. I discussed and showed my installation here: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post222823. The Factory Five power steering option wasn't available when I bought my kit last August. Now that I've seen a couple, just as well IMO. I prefer a more custom approach. (3) Installing power steering during the build is only slightly more difficult than manual. Installing in a completed build is much harder, and obsoletes a pretty expensive part, the steering rack. It's probably one of the cheapest upgrades with the greatest return you can do. OK, I'm officially off my soap box. Good luck whatever you decide. As you will probably hear many times on here, it's your build. Do it the way you want and have always dreamed.

GP Headers are here: http://www.gpheaders.com/products/cobra-kit-headers/. They are great to work with and the quality is amazing. Not cheap, but another one of those high return upgrades IMO. Here are mine when I received them:

Unfortunately, they are a bit hidden once installed. But here's what they look like on the build with the body still off:

Last edited by edwardb; 09-23-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a hope to be some day roadster builder and fan of well built cars I would start by reading Edwardb's 20th thread. You cant go wrong if follow it as your guide and deviate as little as possible from his suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, you guys are very effective, probably to my benefit, too. I will call Tony, Monday and upgrade to PS and delete the FFR headers.
    The GP headers look very high quality. I am well into reading Edwardb's post. I hope I can be as meticulous with my work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I need to buy an outside source power steering rack or get the one FFR offers?
    One other item, what is a good brand or source for clecos and pliers?
    thanks,
    Last edited by Railroad; 09-24-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of builders use aircraft spruce for clecos, pliers and drill bits.
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Railroad for getting the last of the Anniversary edition kits. Looking forward to your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I need to buy an outside source power steering rack or get the one FFR offers?
    One other item, what is a good brand or source for clecos and pliers?
    thanks,
    Having not seen one yet I can't speak to the FFR rack although I do know that one builder here is on his third unit because the previous two of them arrived with damaged transfer tubes. I use rebuilt Mustang units on the cars I build; 3 turn lock to lock for street only cars and 2.5 or 2.25 turn for ones that will see autocross/track use.

I've found that when cleco shopping you'll have a hard time beating Brown Aviation Tool for selection, price and fast service:

http://www.browntool.com/Listview/ta...2/Default.aspx

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the congrats and advise. I emailed Tony this morning to upgrade to the PS option and cancel the headers. I can always order the FFR headers if I change my mind. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I do not see even getting started without the clecos and etc.