Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Racing fatigue ?

Post Thanks / Like

Racing fatigue ?

I have a failure this weekend and it took me for a scary ride, the rear pan hard bar mount broke at the passenger side and then broke the diagonal to the driver's side tube. A friend of mine broke his the race before but on the drivers side frame mount, he was just giving rides during the lunch break so not under full power, mine was under full race. Has anyone else seen this ?

WP_20160924_16_00_17_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    WOW, that is some scary stuff.
    Never would I have thought that this bracket would have broken, even under racing conditions.
    I wonder of John George ever broke one before he moved to the new IRS set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, Lyle broke his several years ago ('08?) at Grattan and maybe Brian before that (both MKII's I think). Lyle was lazy and only broke one side. I think the new ones from FFR are beefier. Not sure when they started making beefier ones. Your's survived quite a long time if it's one of the old ones.
    Last edited by avgjoe; 09-26-2016 at 02:11 PM.
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avgjoe View Post
    Ya, Lyle broke his several years ago ('08?) at Grattan and maybe Brian before that (both MKII's I think). Lyle was lazy and only broke one side. I think the new ones from FFR are beefier. Not sure when they started making beefier ones. Your's survived quite a long time if it's one of the old ones.
    My kit was delivered in early 2015.
    Do you think mine is the stronger piece?

Post Thanks / Like
    So mine is a MkII built in 2004 and on the track since then. It looked like it had been cracked for some time and I never nocticed it (being tucked up under the frame), then it completed the break this past weekend.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had a few break over the years.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    No recall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    No recall?
    I asked myself the same thing as I came very close to taking myself and others out during the race with unknown injuries.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    We have welded those to the frame for added strength, especially the pass side. Mine in the past did 'pull out' from the little the passenger side mount.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Has anybody built a heavier piece that is for sale or are we on our own for this fix?
    While I doubt if I'll ever push my car as hard as you guys, I'm not thrilled knowing that this is a common problem.
    Please Advise & Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Has anybody built a heavier piece that is for sale or are we on our own for this fix?
    While I doubt if I'll ever push my car as hard as you guys, I'm not thrilled knowing that this is a common problem.
    Please Advise & Thanks!

I believe that on the newer cars the mount is welded to the frame so you don't get the fatigue and you should be just fine, the recommendation I have received is to weld the mount to frame and this will distribute the load.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I believe that the replacement in '08 was the beefier version. Contact J. Schenck for more details but I haven't heard of any one breaking theirs (in the Challenge Series at least) in quite some time.

It's not just "pushing" it hard, it'a also about the sticky tires, stiff suspension and quick transitions; constantly.

As Tony stated they are probably broke in one spot long before it is noticed. On Lyle's the powder coat did a great job of flexing and covering up the crack. The powder coat was not broken but looked funny. After some picking off of the powder coat he found the rusted crack. He felt something "not quite right" and went looking. Now the other side breaking would get your attention. I'm sure.
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I believe that the replacement in '08 was the beefier version. Contact J. Schenck for more details but I haven't heard of any one breaking theirs (in the Challenge Series at least) in quite some time.

It's not just "pushing" it hard, it'a also about the sticky tires, stiff suspension and quick transitions; constantly.

As Tony stated they are probably broke in one spot long before it is noticed. On Lyle's the powder coat did a great job of flexing and covering up the crack. The powder coat was not broken but looked funny. After some picking off of the powder coat he found the rusted crack. He felt something "not quite right" and went looking. Now the other side breaking would get your attention. I'm sure.
    In my case the diagonal to the tube also broke which is essentially the same thing as the other side breaking as the whole bar was free and thus allowed the rear to steer the car
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will be looking to see what can be done to strengthen this piece, even though I'm 99% sure that I'll never push my car has hard as fellows who race them.

Auto Crossing here and a some occasional laps around NOLA Motorsports Race Track likely won't even come near the stresses you guys put on your cars, but I'll see what can be done none the less.

Be Safe Gents!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony............not that it's a big deal but mine also broke on the passenger side and not on the drivers side as reported above. Mine did not completely detach. Car started to handle badly so I started looking into why. Found the bar was still hanging on but would allow the rear end to swing side to side and "self steer". Not good but as you mentioned I was giving rides to kids (fund raiser) and only doing maybe 70% speed and not actually racing next to anyone. I added several gussets and an additional bolt. I also check it after each race weekend.
    Last edited by Steve Powell; 10-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So it has also happened to the factory welded ones,or just the bolt on's?

Anyone have pictures of the exact points on the frame, we should be inspecting for fatigue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on this issue?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    EBarnes, love that profile picture. Hope you have a good supply of Code-V sacks on board.

Post Thanks / Like
    As john has said
    We have seen this break under racing conditions also.
    Tony12 years racing seems like a good long run.
    When we race we do a complete front to back check on stands looking for just such problems.
    Regardless if it's a FFR or other race car.
    racing finds the limits of such things.
    Steve if you pay the shipping I would be happy to upgrade your bracket or any one else's for free.
    Same as we have done on other race cars only takes me 30 minutes or so.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Unlike the one on the picture in the first post, the current bar mount has a gusset on the passengers side. Seems reliable.
    Last edited by totem; 01-04-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by totem; 01-04-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by totem View Post
    Unlike the one on the picture in the first post, the current bar mount has a gusset on the passengers side. Seems reliable.
    We also added the gussets when we repaired mine but I would still continue to check this as it is not a fun thing to break going 140 mph
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dougherty View Post
    As john has said
    We have seen this break under racing conditions also.
    Tony12 years racing seems like a good long run.
    When we race we do a complete front to back check on stands looking for just such problems.
    Regardless if it's a FFR or other race car.
    racing finds the limits of such things.
    Steve if you pay the shipping I would be happy to upgrade your bracket or any one else's for free.
    Same as we have done on other race cars only takes me 30 minutes or so.
    Let's look at my challenge car when you are here. I think t is Dan Elam's old challenge racer. Bob Kay rebuilt and I bought it from him 4 years ago. I am not sure if he would have upgraded...

2-1/2 weeks!

E~